The Good, The Bad, The Aeldari - Event now closed

TrawlingCleaner

Thanks TPS. Am I right in thinking Karandras has been painted as a statue? Is it part of a scenery project? If not I like the idea of 6 pheonix lords lining the way into some ancient aeldari city.

He is indeed a statue, possibly an animated statue but I did not do “living energy effect” to show this as I was not sure that the colours I had would have worked with the scheme. After having tested various ways of doing metal statues on the previous four models in this event I thought I would try to see if I can get a terracotta effect. Now it is quite heavy on the red/orange side of terracotta, and I probably should add some more earthy/beige/brown tones if I want to make it look like The Terracotta Army, so I may try again before the event is out if I can find a suitable model to do.

That said I do like the idea of having a row of Phoenix Lord statues, so I may in time do all six of them and then use them as objectives in games.

@dwango I still thumb through that codex - it's so great! glad to have provided some inspiration for a revisit :) still has some of my favourite artwork in all the years of 40k

(FYI my dire Avengers had the red helmet + B&W crest variant)

@Trokair: the terracotta looks great, you could drybrush something dustier over it , or maybe even a texture like agrellan earth if you want it to look more ancient and dried out rather than fresh clay golem..speaking of which if you wanted an 'alive from inside' look I would pick out the eyes in a glowing green or something that contrasts with the terracotta but is limited in its application

Edited by Sandalphon

So many great models in this thread.

I have finished the Epic Warlock Titan. I went a bit more subtle with this one, and I am not sure how well it shows, but I used a lot of Druchii Violet to give certain parts a purple tinge. As a statue it looks great, but I think I would need to go with a light energy purple if I wanted to convey a living statue vibe.

gallery_29932_13461_12750.jpg

One last model to try a statue effect on, this time I am leaning towards trying for a Terracotta effect.

gallery_29932_13461_8126.jpg

Congrats on completing both sets of vows Trokair! The Titan looks gorgeous and still subtle! :wub:

Drahzar and the incubi are done. The jester is close and the vyper has been started on too.

gallery_141590_16070_256462.jpg

Further pics in my thread.

Amazing work Dwango! The white is so clean and I love the glow :wub::wub:

Gonna have to bow out of this challenge. Not done anything since I primed the crimson Hunter and not feeling like painting it anytime soon so I’ll definitely not have it ready by next week.

No worries at all Axineton, motivation waxes and wanes for everyone :happy.:

The Blood Raven, still looking alright there, better than I could do with such a fiddly model.

The Chaplain, that’s a very intense red you have their. Siam-Hann?

TrawlingCleaner Thank you for the kind words.

Sandalphon, the Agrellan Earth is a good idea, I may have to add a little to the next Terracotta test model I do. And yes dry brushing some dustier or faded colours could certainly age it. I did consider it for this one but as it was my first Terracotta test I wanted to see how the contrast over zandri dust came out.

On some of the brass/bronze statue tests I used baharroth blue as a stand in for Nihilakh Oxide and that kind of worked, but here it would have been to week I think. When I obtain some Nihilakh Oxide or the new Tesseract Glow I will certainly test them on this Karandras.

After many, many missteps and overcorrections i am calling these Wyches done.  I am disappointed, because i intended the basing to be a mix of gravel, grass and autumn leaves.  But, the grass length i bought was too long, and looks forced.  The bald Wych has an example.  Instead, i settled on a generic gravel sand after i saw how it contrasted with the orange armor.

I suppose i am happy with the results.  Wyches are some of my favorite models.  But, they are soooo busy.  So many little details.

20201104 202306

20201104 202408

I'm declaring the vyper done. Not my best work, I didn't really get into the groove painting it. Its not quite as refined a sculpt as some newer stuff being released, but then I think it's a well over 20 years old design I think. I enjoyed spending time on the faces. Better pics will go in my thread when I get chance to take them.

gallery_141590_16070_360362.jpg

So, I'm going to place another vow. I'm going for the dire avengers. These are an ebay rescue and I've not had chance to strip them so I'm just going to have to make do. They'll be a good test bed for my planned scheme.

med_gallery_141590_15861_49615.jpg

After many, many missteps and overcorrections i am calling these Wyches done. I am disappointed, because i intended the basing to be a mix of gravel, grass and autumn leaves. But, the grass length i bought was too long, and looks forced. The bald Wych has an example. Instead, i settled on a generic gravel sand after i saw how it contrasted with the orange armor.

I suppose i am happy with the results. Wyches are some of my favorite models. But, they are soooo busy. So many little details.

Snazzy, the orange on these is fantastic! Really great stuff, the purple contrast well with the orange :biggrin.:

Got my banshees done. Vow complete.

20201106-143654.jpg

Well done on the completion Dread, I don't think I've ever seen metallic banshees before but you've done an amazing job! :happy.:

I'm declaring the vyper done. Not my best work, I didn't really get into the groove painting it. Its not quite as refined a sculpt as some newer stuff being released, but then I think it's a well over 20 years old design I think. I enjoyed spending time on the faces. Better pics will go in my thread when I get chance to take them.

gallery_141590_16070_360362.jpg

So, I'm going to place another vow. I'm going for the dire avengers. These are an ebay rescue and I've not had chance to strip them so I'm just going to have to make do. They'll be a good test bed for my planned scheme.

med_gallery_141590_15861_49615.jpg

Congrats on the completion! I'm loving the face tattoos, they came out really well! :wub:

Really great stuff all around guys, 3 days left of the event as WF says. Speed is a famous trait of the Aeldari :wink:

Finished my Warlock Skyrunners.

Warlock Skyrunners

Quite happy with the development of my Eldar, I have almost finished my army and a lot was due to the motivation I got from you guys on this thread.

Hope to see more initiatives for the xenos races!

Edit: Corrected for spelling 

Edited by Minuros