The Good, The Bad, The Aeldari - Event now closed

TrawlingCleaner

I've made some progress on armor basecoating and cleaning up small details.  I've also made my peace with VGC Hot Orange, and actually prefer the darker tone.  Eventually, all of my existing Drukhari will be given a coat of the darker stuff.  Also, experimenting with highlight colors.

Waiting on a new shipment of paints so that i can finish weapons and sashes before finishing off the bodysuits with a high gloss black. 

In the meantime, this unit is getting packed away to make room for the 20 Kabalites, 6 Reavers and Succubus that i am priming and basecoating.  Priming by hand, and an orange basecoat are extremely time consuming, requiring no less than 3 layers of Hot Orange.  I may not be making progress on my vow during this time, but progress where it will count.  It works out because i have no desk lamp (lost in our move) and have been working with the flashlight on my cell phone.  Priming and basecoating is not detail work while i lamp shop.

I'm a big lover of Orange and the shade you're using is lovely, great stuff!

Greywing, thanks.

So here are the two, basically finished. Obviously the Wraithlord's base is not quite done, but otherwise they are done. One thing I found out is that I believe I threw away my War Walkers' canopies by accident, as they are nowhere to be found. Put an extra Starweaver one on this walker, but going forward I think I will just leave them without or do someing like a shield coming online, don't know yet...

49IZupt.jpg

Now for three more walkers and another Wraithlord.

These are looking great Ikka, did you do the marbling on the rocks? Either way great progress! Echoing what Fish said: Progress is progress even painting the rims of a base is progress :happy.:

Speaking of, I've gotten some more colour on the Farseer she's getting there. Still absolutely loads to do and tidy up:

NtuEbzh.jpg

It's not so much marbling as mottled- I use a light grey (Weather Stone from Reaper) then Drakenhoff Nightshade, then a drybrush/stipple of more Weathered Stone. Looks pretty good from two feet away, which is pretty much my standard.

Small bit of progress, I used two different methods and colours on these guys in an attempt to find the look I want. I used thinned down Baharroth Blue as a verdigris/ghostly effect, more so on one (where I used it all over as more of a verdigris effect).

gallery_29932_13461_18292.jpg

Oh man, I'm loving these so far! How did you do the brass/bronze colour?

I got the farseer done :biggrin.:

Farseer Aleerith, the Banshee's Wail
Ra0xjC4.jpg
jfZjfTL.jpg
GTLXXvw.jpg
DbavIoT.jpg
I'm very proud of how she's come out, and with just a simple conversion I've managed to get a cool looking and different Farseer
Rerevow is done, I'm not too sure what I'll vow next. I think it might be some Wraithblades, I just got my hands on an old school Fire Prism but I need to strip that and spray it which might not be possible for a while with Good old British weather
MhoHeUj.jpg

Snazzy, orange can be a tricky colour so three layers is no surprise. Painting by limited light however is a real challenge, so Kudos to you for that. Good luck with the lamp shopping.

Looks good - have you looked into Nihilakh oxyde for that kind of effect? I find it generally works nicely for simple glowy effects too (like plasma coils)?

I was originally thinking of using Nihilakh Oxide, but as I don’t have it I figured a thinned down Baharroth Blue will do for the test. I also considered the new necron neon green paint, but have not had the chance to see it in real life, let alone buy it. For plasma coils and the like I also often use the green gemstone paint to great effect.

Oh man, I'm loving these so far! How did you do the brass/bronze colour?

I started by undercoating both in Mechanicus Standard Grey (spray) followed by the new Runelord Brass spray. A few touch up here and there with Runelord Brass base paint as well.

For the left one I then did a wash of Wildwood Contrast. The right one had the back plates and hoves painted with Castellax Bronze and then the entire model had a Basilicanum Grey Contrast wash (except on the belly, which I did with Skelton Hoard Contrast as an experiment, that did not look that great). Both where then heavily drybrushed with Runelord Brass.

Finally I used watered down Baharroth Blue on both. On the left I only used it a bit and on the right one I used it much more (and more thinned) for the verdigris effect in any place that seemed like it could do with it.

Finally I did some carful Runelord Brass tidying up where the Baharroth had gone too far.

Your Farseer looks great, though the heavy eye shadow makes me think s/he is rather tiered, or just came out of a fist fight.

A7E37645 C6F8 4D1C 9121 429489216FFB

Calling my Dark Reapers done for now. Might come back to them in the future to tidy them up and some snow to the base.

Working with finecast was awful... Some pieces broke off and the guns were all bendy. It seems to have the worst attributes of lead and resin.

I love the models but they really need an update :unsure.:

Back to marines I guess 

Nice to see more updates coming in, and such good work too! I'm currently on a deadline elsewhere for my first 9th game but rest assured I'll be straight on to my vow once they're complete :thumbsup: We need a bit more DE presence here :wink:

Working on it.  I will likely be done my Wyches real soon.  Will post new vows.

Calling my Dark Reapers done for now. Might come back to them in the future to tidy them up and some snow to the base.

Working with finecast was awful... Some pieces broke off and the guns were all bendy. It seems to have the worst attributes of lead and resin.

I love the models but they really need an update :unsure.:

Back to marines I guess 

Those Dark Reapers are looking great mate, I'm trying to find some metal ones on eBay tbh I can't deal with Finecast!

I'm doing a rererevow, 6 more banshees, 5 Wraithguard and a Spiritseer. I've got tomorrow off and I'm ready to steam ahead with the Wraiths:

NV4CfJU.jpg

Ok the Dark Reaper Exarch is done. I experiment a bit further with the brass look, including some silver highlights on the more raised area. Then I thought I would try Iyanden Yellow to make a yellow glow effect but it turned out looking like bad gold.

gallery_29932_13461_34071.jpg

Just the Tittan to go.

I definitely wouldn't say it looks like bad gold, it looks great man, almost like Retributor armour kind of colour. I'm looking forward to seeing the titan done! :wub:

With a day off yesterday and my internet dropping in and out pretty much all day, I had plenty of time to get my Wraithblades most of the way there. Still to do a couple of tidy up jobs on the loincloths and some of the armour panels but they're looking pretty great atm :happy.:

bsbJH1R.jpg
wuCfpdw.jpg
KSd1Xlf.jpg
zPyI7jf.jpg
r9wQ0nB.jpg

Some good looking work popping up!

@TrawlingCleaner - so prolific! Great looking squad!

@Urkh - cool jetbikes and nice crisp paintwork, is that a custom craftworld or just a warmer tone of Saim hann?

@Trokair I'm liking the beaten metal effects you're using, particularly the dark reaper.

I have made some progress on my re-vowed striking scorpions but not enough to share just yet..

Some really amazing work here. Urkh, that orange is just eye popping.

A very very minor re-vow -- two Howling Banshees:

HBPledge

Only two because, like all my Aspects, these are metal eBay rescues that I acquired piecemeal. These are the last two I need to finish up a minimum-sized squad. They've been wearing primer for, uh, a long time now. My Banshee "scheme" is really simplistic, so hopefully I can get them knocked out in a couple of sessions (unlike the Wraithblade death march).

Thanks guys! It is a custom craftworld. I am calling it Craftworld Etruria, after the country in Fire Emblems 6 and 7, which is known for its mages. The main color is orange, and the citizens of this craftworld are extremely prideful of their craftworld. Prideful to the point that even the aspect warriors wear orange armor plating. The accent colors of different units and vehicles are determined by what their roll is. You'll see examples of this when I post the other units in the craftworlds thread. I currently have 10 guardians, 10 dire avengers, 5 rangers, an autarch, a wave serpent, a vyper, a fire prism, and the windriders you see here.

So to update, I haven't forgotten about this event. But I just haven't been up for painting my Eldar recently. Too many other projects and distractions getting in the way. 

Thank you for running this event and hopefully I'll be in a better position next time. 

So to update, I haven't forgotten about this event. But I just haven't been up for painting my Eldar recently. Too many other projects and distractions getting in the way. 

Thank you for running this event and hopefully I'll be in a better position next time. 

Not to worry at all Focslain, the ebb and flow of Mojo happens to us all. Good luck with your other projects! :happy.:

At the middle of last week I got my Spiritseer done but totally forgot to get a picture of him up:

k1xVWvf.jpg

5Mf6y4U.jpg

6BNfAUM.jpg

QqRV46a.jpg

TNszLxO.jpg

yCE2zZM.jpg

Just the Banshees to go, they are very time consuming as they're very small with a lot of details. Definitely worth it though! :biggrin.: 

Well seeing all of this development on your Eldar has inspired me as well. I have recently started  on some wraithblades myself :wink: .

Wraithblades wip

I did not revow or anything, judt wanted to share with the nice chaps who got me into Eldar again.
As for the wraithblades themselves, even though they have been quite fun to paint, as anyone else found them quite fragile? Had to pin them in order to make them a bit more stable. I don’t remember doing this for any of GW’s more recent models.
Edited by Minuros

Hope its not too late to hop into the event?

Im going to try and complete a farseer and spiritseer in Ynnari scheme before the event ends:

https://flic.kr/p/2jXAFgs

https://flic.kr/p/2jXFaRz

Edited by The_Chaplain