What to expect from The Saturday preview / codex release

jimbo1701

Hi all,

Pre-codex preview on Saturday I thought it would be a bit of fun to discuss the potential for new units and models around the release and any changes to come.

General changes in Codex:

Inclusion of crusade rules.

Now that the first born are 2 wounds each will we:

A – See vehicle capacities become more generalised so that two wound infantry models can occupy all transports and 3 wound infantry models occupy land raiders and repulsors?

B – See an increase in the wound levels to land speeders and bikes, for example bikes to 3 wounds, attack bikes to 6 wounds and land speeders to 8 wounds?

In terms of the model kits we expect to be released I’ve compiled the following:

Known (from previews / leaks)

Chaplain on bike

Heavy intercessor captain

Techmarine

Heavy intercessors (weapons unknown but presumably heavy bolt rifle and two others as per intercessor/hellblaster kits)

Bladeguard veterans (alternate loadout unclear)

Eradicators (presumably a grav variant from the leaked images – 2 weapon options like other gravis models)

ETB firestrike platform – 2 weapon options

ETB invader ATV – 2 weapon options

Hammerfall drop bunker

Gladiator tank with 3 variants

‘Storm speeder’ x3 variants

These ones are possible but not confirmed

Assault intercessors, either as a release of the existing kits or a multi-part with potential to swap shoulder pads out and possibility for other melee weapons / Jump packs etc.

Outriders, either as a release of the existing kits or a multi-part with potential to swap shoulder pads out and possibility for other weapon options.

Supressors, as a multi-part kits as at present they are the only primaris squads pre-indomitus not to have this

Start collecting set comprising the older dark Imperium sprues as several models in this kit now not available elsewhere (i.e gravis captain, ancient) unless they get an individual release also.

So potential for 15 kits and 11 for certain. Anything I've missed or that others think likely for the reveal over the weeeknd? Cheers.

I doubt very much we'll see anything for anything non-Primaris. The sales focus is just not going to cover it, in my opinion.

All the new Primaris stuff we know is coming will be covered. I'm interested in the Hammerfall Drop Bunker myself.

Possibility for a Veteran Intercessor kit, or perhaps even multiple if they want to do BA/SW/DA ones. There is a datasheet for it, and there have been many images showing marines with MK 7 helmets, etc. I would think they would make it look like veteran intercessors are significantly comprised of marines that have crossed the rubicon, instead of being born as Primaris.

Possibility for a new Ravenwing upgrade sprue for DA - They have shown like a whole studio army of deathwing, with a repulsor, ancient, multiple bladeguard squads, etc. However, we have not seen a painted Ravenwing bike from indomitus, etc. yet. Seems odd to me that they didn't push that front for their indomitus marketing, unless all their studio models have bits from an upgrade sprue that hasn't been revealed yet.

I think we might also see a character, or upgrades, etc. in general for SW/BA/DA/DW, as the first of those supplements will likely come out with the codex.

For the general kits, I would expect that they would release them themed. For example, all the bikes/landspeeder with the DA supplement, assault intercessors with BA or SW, etc.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

I still think the Heavy Intercessors are going to end up sharing a kit with the MPK Eradicators. That being the case, I don't expect them to have any wargear option aside from the Heavy Bolt Rifle.

An MPK Suppressor kit this year would be a pleasant surprise, but I think we'll see it next year alongside a proper jump-enabled assault squad.

What's this leaked image showing Grav Eradicators??

May be a leap of plausibility on my part, but there was another image of the multipart eradicators from fairly early on (in amongst other models blurry) which showed a different weapon type that some speculated was grav. I don’t have the image but if anyone else does...?

May be a leap of plausibility on my part, but there was another image of the multipart eradicators from fairly early on (in amongst other models blurry) which showed a different weapon type that some speculated was grav. I don’t have the image but if anyone else does...?

A lot of people initially thought the new Gravis Captain had a Grav Rifle as well. But it was later determined he was carrying one of the new Heavy Bolt Rifles. Are you sure the image you're talking about wasn't actually a picture of the Heavy Intercessors with their Heavy Bolt Rifles?

Edited by Lord Nord

Now that the first born are 2 wounds each will we:

A – See vehicle capacities become more generalised so that two wound infantry models can occupy all transports and 3 wound infantry models occupy land raiders and repulsors?

I sincerely hope they relax the restrictions on what armour variants can go in each transport. I noted today when listening to Indomitus that the Primaris marines deployed by Drop Pod, including the Outriders in a modified pod for bikes. (My Black Templars NEED this!)

In any event, wounds are not the deciding factor for transport slots, it's the armour and equipment configuration. A Marshal with Jump Pack takes up as much room in a Land Raider as an Assault Marine with one, despite the disparity of wounds.

A lot of people initially thought the new Gravis Captain had a Grav Rifle as well. But it was later determined he was carrying one of the new Heavy Bolt Rifles. Are you sure the image you're talking about wasn't actually a picture of the Heavy Intercessors with their Heavy Bolt Rifles?

Maybe I’m confusing the two. I had a look back through the immense amount of threads the past few months and couldn’t find the picture, only a blurry pic of a melta eradicator.

Yes, I really hope to see an option for jump packs on the Assault Intercessors. A sprue of power weapons in the kit would be great too. Oh, and extra (sergeant) chainswords would be great too.

Not sure what the other option for Suppressors would be, if there is another option at all. My vote, Grav weapons that either cut move speed by half, prevent advancing, or severely penalize charges. I mean, imagine having that unit on the board, versus a charge from deep strike army, like Blood Angels, and popping Auspex Scan, and then after you kill a model, they now have ZERO chance of making the charge. Wishful thinking...

I wonder if one of the Storm Speeder variants will be a transport. Will it be a Storm Speeder Storm? Able to transport Phobos units? Disembark and charge would be great for Reivers and Incursors.

I won’t confound the thread with necron chatter but it looks as if both are being previewed and I do wonder what necron stuff we haven’t seen yet. Flayed ones, regular destroyers and destroyer lord come to mind.

No this is the right thread. I'm not sure why it is in the Space Marines section now but I'll send it back to where it's supposed to go.

I'm hoping for a release date, and hopefully an announcement of when to expect my supplement. For models I'm hoping they show more of the upcoming models from the teaser trailer.

I'd also really like to see what to expect from crusade rules in codex moving forward it's a cool system that I hope GW keeps investing in (I know there is a supplement coming for it but I think crusade makes more sense than open play and the focus on 500-1000 games is important)

Yes, I really hope to see an option for jump packs on the Assault Intercessors. A sprue of power weapons in the kit would be great too. Oh, and extra (sergeant) chainswords would be great too.

Not sure what the other option for Suppressors would be, if there is another option at all. My vote, Grav weapons that either cut move speed by half, prevent advancing, or severely penalize charges. I mean, imagine having that unit on the board, versus a charge from deep strike army, like Blood Angels, and popping Auspex Scan, and then after you kill a model, they now have ZERO chance of making the charge. Wishful thinking...

I wonder if one of the Storm Speeder variants will be a transport. Will it be a Storm Speeder Storm? Able to transport Phobos units? Disembark and charge would be great for Reivers and Incursors.

Doubtful - all three Storm Speeder variants are listed in the Fast Attack category.

I hoping (not really the best idea there) for some information on how the supplements work regarding the interaction of unit selection.

I'm expecting them to show us the covers of the Codexes again to then Ooooh over on camera, and then just show us a couple of models that have been "community discovered" and walk away leaving dead air for like an hour/hour and a half (this is how I manage expectations - expect the absolute bare minimum so GW has a chance of proving me wrong by them actually doing more).

Very rarely do I walk away from these previews doing more than simply saying "Cool" and going back to working on my own models and fluff.

I'm expecting this to be.

A break down of format/index.

I.e.

In order

Index

Fluff

Army building

Examples

Army specific rules

All options organized by slot.

Troops

Elite

Fast attack ecc

Ecc

Digital code with book, how app integration works.

Hopefully a preview of army building

Edited by Triszin

New shiny models are nice and all-- but what I would really like "revealed" is some clarification on forgeworld units and their place in the game-- are their rules being rolled into codices or should we expect another round of indices? Edited by The_Chaplain

So in the other thread in N&R, there was a comment saying that the Marines that are being shown is what "we've" waited for going on two years now.

I disagree, they aren't what I've been waiting on, and so Scribe asked:

What do you want them to look like?

Scale of Primaris or so, with more gothic elements (like the skulls in vertical lines chestplate of one of Red Scorps - I think - from FW), but not all the fabric (well, that for select Chapters) and weird "Crusade cross" and massive holsters (even on the Assault Intercessors, they are a bit much), incorporating the hallmarks of armor marks throughout the years, (both more plain and more ornate suits) and a wider variety of weaponry used (with less "popsicle" wide and thickened blades for the swords). Don't have the doofy almost full skeletons hanging on things (bones fine, skeletons ehhhhh). More Chapter specific variety (which I'm sure we are moving toward). Probably other things, but that's what I've got off the top of my head.

It's all things I can deal with, but it's not exactly what I want to see yet. Nothing has made me dance for joy or go "Perfect!"

It's also possible that I've simply become Marine-fatigued, and nothing short of Khorney or Wolfy Marines will be satisfying in the Marine line for me (which means bring on some cool Eldar!).

(This way we can continue the conversation in a more speculative place, rather than speculate/discuss preferences in the N&R thread).

Edit: Oh, and I'd like some scatsafrascin' normal Imperial axes that are as nicely designed as the Chaos ones...

Oh boy, an official ruling on Primaris in at least Land Raiders would be neat. The current way is just super dumb - Primaris are not too big, they should fit fine. 

If GW doesn't get their crap together regarding this, I'll just keep houseruling that, tho. But seriously, stop prohibiting that ruleswise - that's just nonsense and too visibly sales-oriented. 

I like the general direction primaris marines have gone in, although generally I prefer the less is more stuff to the indomitus stuff. Personally I love the inclusion of holsters and pouches on the marines.

My favourite mks were mk4 and mk8 so primaris are more or less perfect as a design for me, taking heavy queues from both.

So yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing what's next!

But also yeah, I'd not be opposed to seeing some none marine stuff lol. If nothing else, because it would do my wallet some good

Oh boy, an official ruling on Primaris in at least Land Raiders would be neat. The current way is just super dumb - Primaris are not too big, they should fit fine.

If GW doesn't get their crap together regarding this, I'll just keep houseruling that, tho. But seriously, stop prohibiting that ruleswise - that's just nonsense and too visibly sales-oriented.

Imo they should keep the ranges seperate as they have done, in terms of transport. It's not a size issue but a theme issue.

The Primaris are supposed to represent a spark of progress in terms of technology, and should stand out from the rest of the Imperium.