Techmarines - How to make them Templar

I saw a post recently on Facebook, a guy had painted a Black Templar Techmarine, and was asking for help on what was missing about it, I could see what was wrong, it was essentially a standard techmarine, with a Maltese Cross; shoulder pad aside, it was just a generic red techmarine.

It got me thinking, with the new techmarine model on the way soon(ish?) what would you do to a Techmarine to make him a proper Black Templar? What would you model or draw on a Techmarine so that people can just instantly look at him and say, "That's a Templar."

In terms of existing art, I know of these two images from the Codex:

med_gallery_100735_13736_112206.jpgmed_gallery_100735_13736_105436.jpg

I love the first image, he screams Templar, but the Tabards always help with that side of things. He's better than the datasheet image, but I love that guy's axe. Are there any more Techmarines in the art? Fluff wise I know we have the Master of the Forge in both Helsreach and The Eternal Crusader, So I plan to re-read those sections to gain some insight into how they are described. But what do people think would make a Templar Techmarine?

Would they have a cloth tabard? Would not a full chainmail one be a nice crossover between Templar and Technology. Would they have an Axe, or a sword like other Templars? How about a shield?

So, I'm looking for discussion and inspiration. If you know of any more existing art, I would love to see it. Conversions too.

I think you could use more black as opposed to martian red. That would templerify him somewhat. Maybe a headswap for a more crusader style helmet.

The pictured axe als makes a difference.

And candles and those small lights from the bits frame.

I never saw red techmarines as being an issue for Templars, because it's a Mars thing, not a Codex Astartes thing. In fact, I could see Templar Techmarines being quite enthusiastic supporters of the Emperor as Omnissiah concept, seeing as they are already zealous worshippers, 

I think a headswap would be a great idea, but would you go Crusader style, or perhaps more Mark 3 esque?

I'd say both helmet styles have their merits.

It depends on the contents of ones bitsbox and personal preferrence.

I can see what you're saying with red vs black. Red is the omnissiah and thus the emperor, good call.

My only techmarine in service is clad in red, mostly due to the fact that he was painted when we were still a codex compliant chapter :biggrin.:

I would keep him simple and add a few small bits, like the lamp from the BT upgrade kit. I also really like the candles idea from above, they're just hard to come by. Then use the templar's habbit of adding personal heraldry, add a differently painted kneecap or add one of those small shields to display a crusade sigil. Reminds me i wanted to kitbash a techmarine from my bits box for ages...

I was thinking about instead of a Tabard, he would, akin to the Apothecary, be more appropriately dressed with say a heavy leather apron, which hangs round the neck from a chain, like a crusader blacksmith.

I also have the head of Vulkan's Sigil hanging around, from my converted Xavier, I kind of see him with one hand holding a Smith's hammer, the other on a bended knee, and an axe in the grip of the servo harness.

With the full length Apron, probably with an embossed cross on the chest, as well as a small pauldron cloak of chainmail under a suitable over-pauldron, and a crusader style Techmarine helmet, I think he would look very Templar.

I'm just finishing up mine, and I've painted them a much deeper red than we often see them in (almost Flesh Tearers-esque) so they don't stick out as much in my otherwise black-heavy, red-light army. I've also based mine on Feirros, as their armour plates hanging down from the groin flanked by purity seals nicely echoes the tabards elsewhere in my army. Beyond that, and the very obvious Templar cross on one shoulder, I've not done a great deal different.

EDIT: how I've painted said Techmarine.

C8xU9qO.jpg

Edited by SufficientAnonymity