Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[40k] Primaris Heavy Intercessors

• Please log in to reply
191 replies to this topic

Captain Idaho

Captain Idaho

++ ARGENTARIUS IRACUNDUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 17,747 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines
Anyone else see the Keyword "Core" in their datasheet?
  • BrainFireBob, Triszin, Marshal Loss and 1 other like this
I've started up a new YouTube channel! Please support me as I attempt to grow it.

Serious Geeks

WrathOfTheLion

WrathOfTheLion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,566 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels, WB & SW
I see it. Not certain what it means.

Might have something to do with abilities, like how servitors are always excluded.

Or perhaps you have to have a certain number of core units, sort of like compulsory troops in HH.

sml_gallery_48988_16308_4210.png

UnkyHamHam

UnkyHamHam

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 611 posts
  • Faction: The Emperor's Blades

That's super interesting! Hmmm...

Maybe there will be some mechanic based around having to "fill" core troops first in order to unlock other things. Or less restricted, maybe you get bonuses for having more core. An incentive to tone down spamming the ultra killy units.

The Emperor Protects.

"Alpha within, Alpha without."  "The Flesh is Alpha."  "Ave Alpharius Nox."

Ishagu

Ishagu

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,610 posts
I don't think there's anything OP about them. There are multiple pros and cons for taking them instead of regular Intercessors.

-~Ishagu~-

01RTB01

01RTB01

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,044 posts
I'll stick with regular/assault Intercessors. Not sure the point of these.

Aggressors put out more dakka, bladeguard better in combat...
Signature not compliant with forum rules.
Hidden Content

Ishagu

Ishagu

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,610 posts
But these are troops, with long range rifles. To me these are sturdy objective holders.
  • mithrilforge likes this

-~Ishagu~-

ShibeKing

ShibeKing

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 308 posts
Oh boy. I think these are my new favorite troop choice based on looks alone.

UnkyHamHam

UnkyHamHam

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 611 posts

Not trying to nitpick, but why do you bother with Assault Intercessors if "bladeguard better in combat"?

The Emperor Protects.

01RTB01

01RTB01

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,044 posts

Not trying to nitpick, but why do you bother with Assault Intercessors if "bladeguard better in combat"?

I was comparing heavy Intercessors with bladeguard/ Aggressors.

I like the assault Intercessors because they fit my archetypal view :) the bladeguard being the vets. Stick em in an impulsor and off they trot
Hidden Content

UnkyHamHam

UnkyHamHam

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 611 posts

I like the assault Intercessors because they fit my archetypal view :) the bladeguard being the vets. Stick em in an impulsor and off they trot

Fair enough! Everyone has their style and view on how marines should do battle. I'm happy that we are spoiled for choice these days.

Most of my life it's been Tacs or Scouts for troops. Or if you were in the right edition, maybe bikes. It's still unbelievable that Marines went from two troop options to SEVEN! Tho I guess rumor says Scouts going elites.

The Emperor Protects.

Angel of Solitude

Angel of Solitude

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 535 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels, Thousand Sons

But these are troops, with long range rifles. To me these are sturdy objective holders.

As a Dark Angels player, I like the idea of sitting these on a back field objective, hitting things on a 2+, and having a Lt to accompany them for when you don’t get the desired 3+ wound roll. The extra 6” range turn 1 is also nice.

gallery_48988_15465_43209.pnggallery_48988_15493_11529.pnggallery_48988_15200_20209.pnggallery_48988_16308_20607.png

Brother Yroc

Brother Yroc

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 389 posts

Random lore question: any educated speculation on whether these will be Battleline or Fire Support Squads in the company composition?

I would think that since they said they are Troops in the preview, and the models bear the Battleline designator (upward arrow), they are Battleline.

Ah! That makes perfect sense. Thanks!

There is no excuse for failure to playtest a design thoroughly before putting it on the market; it indicates either gross ignorance, total egotism, or an absolute lack of interest in giving the gamer his money's worth. - Steve Jackson, 1981

Drudge Dreadnought

Drudge Dreadnought

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,805 posts
  • Faction: Chaos, Dark Eldar

These things could be quite OP, but it'll depend on their points cost. I assume they'll be closer to 30pts. They'll have an advantage over regular intercessors in range and D (with certain weapons), and an advantage against D2 weapons which will be very common. But intercessors will still have more total wounds for their cost (sans T5), and more firepower from bolt weapons.

Heavy intercessors will be a no brainer for chapter that can ignore move and shoot penalties. But otherwise will probably make sense to take 1 or 2 for backfield objectives, but still use regular intercessors or the phobos units up close.

Karhedron

Karhedron

++ RENASCITUR EX MORS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,222 posts
Power 7 suggests they will be ~28 points-per-model. They are tougher than Intercessors but less killy on a point-for-point basis. Using a single squad of the Heavy variant as backfield campers looks like an easy option for any Chapter.

Some like Dark Angels might be able to get a bit more mileage out of them.
  • Dracos likes this
Sanguinius stood up, stretching his wings to their full extent. He flexed his hands. "I need no blade".
It was as though Sanguinius gleamed with pale light, his face white, eyes becoming blood-red, surrounded by the golden crown of flowing hair. Guilliman had witnessed glimpses of of his brother's wrath before, but had never seen the true Blood Angel unleashed. Sanguinius surged forward on alabaster wings, half a meter from the floor, whiteness streaming from him like flames.

Inquisitor Eisenhorn

Inquisitor Eisenhorn

++ CANTOR ARDENS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 1,083 posts
  • Faction: Forces of the Imperium

Very excited for these.  Exactly what I wanted for Star Phantoms troops.

• Nusquam likes this

Shinespider

Shinespider

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,063 posts

I quite like the models - they're bulked up to just the right extent. 

• Karhedron likes this

Call_of_Chaos_11_Banner_02.jpg

Wispy

Wispy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,327 posts

These look fantastic but along with the news that they're not sharing a kit with the Eradicators, feels like the SM range is bloating out of control.

it's fine, they're essentially updating the whole marine line with analogues to classic stuff. i would not consider them the same line.

Mandragola

Mandragola

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,030 posts

I guess that for my Fists, these guys do have some appeal. S5 is a significant improvement over S4 when firing at vehicles, as T8 is pretty common. You're twice as likely to wound. If you want to use a troop unit to hold the back line, they're kind of the best thing there is.

However, you don't really need obsec to hold your backline objective. It's more useful when contesting midfield, and these guys aren't especially great there.

Maybe I'll get a unit of these to hang out in my deployment zone. It doesn't seem all that great though. If I'm spending ~140 points on a unit to stand still in my deployment zone, I'd prefer it to have more firepower than 2 heavy bolters. A Squad of these guys doesn't do much better than that. I could get a devastator squad for roughly the same price, or ~100 other options. A cheaper squad of normal stalkercessors might well do the job better.

• Dracos likes this

C+C always welcome on my Titanic Plog. Should really be painting Crimson Fists.

gallery_48988_15151_9524.pnggallery_45765_12339_6416.pnggallery_48988_16045_14557.pngsml_gallery_48988_16308_6255.png

01RTB01

01RTB01

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,044 posts

Fair enough! Everyone has their style and view on how marines should do battle. I'm happy that we are spoiled for choice these days.

Most of my life it's been Tacs or Scouts for troops. Or if you were in the right edition, maybe bikes. It's still unbelievable that Marines went from two troop options to SEVEN! Tho I guess rumor says Scouts going elites.

I played before "troops choices" were a thing :D back in my day it was 25% infantry iirc.

However, marines are spoilt for choice for sure. It's about time other factions had more really...
  • Magos Takatus, UnkyHamHam and roryokane like this
Hidden Content

chapter master 454

chapter master 454

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,279 posts
  • Faction: Angels of Justice

You all called me mad saying they would come in 5s and 10s, MAD! NOW LOOK, these chonky boys come in groups of 10 potentially. Expensive...yes. As a heavy duty lover of heavy armour, worth it!

I Chapter Master 454, Chapter Master of the Angels of Justice, Warboss of WAAAGH Gubskul, Commander of a Catachan Regiment, Phaeron of a Tomb World, Shas'O to a Cadre and Princeps of a lance of House Taranis hereby pledge that I will not take up any further models til all other prior have been fully built and painted to tabletop standards. There is no time limit for this task, there is no deadline. My oath is to solemnly complete the armies I have now, to see it that they can have their glory. Paint will be stripped from the old in need, thick may it be like ceramite I will see it removed so that plastic and metal alike may see light of new paint. Models yet to be, boxed and in darkness will be assembled with due care and attention. For this task I am permitted to still buy the supplies needed to do my task but not one model more.

http://www.bolterand...one-model-more/ the thread to my oath. My own reminder.

http://www.bolterand...rk-in-progress/ my own chapter
"The objective of playing a game is to win. The point of playing a game is to have fun. Never confuse the two"

UnkyHamHam

UnkyHamHam

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 611 posts

You all called me mad saying they would come in 5s and 10s, MAD! NOW LOOK, these chonky boys come in groups of 10 potentially. Expensive...yes. As a heavy duty lover of heavy armour, worth it!

For the record I'm glad you were right. I truly dislike the 3-6 squad size. They could at least compromise and give us 3-10 bike style.
  • Alcyon, roryokane and Lord Raven 19 like this

The Emperor Protects.

01RTB01

01RTB01

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,044 posts

So are stalker equipped Intercessors or sniper equipped scouts or regular Intercessors have a decent range... ;)
Hidden Content

Triszin

Triszin

++ INTERFECTOR ROBUSTUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,965 posts

wonder if its for supplements.

i.e.

anything with "CORE" is available to all, no restrictions?

• Captain Idaho, Dark Shepherd and MrSpoon like this
banana

solarisqc

solarisqc

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 186 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angel

wonder if its for supplements.

i.e.

anything with "CORE" is available to all, no restrictions?

I don't know if we still have the limit of 3 of the same datasheet in 9ed, but ''CORE'' may be no limit.

Hellex_The_Thanatar

Hellex_The_Thanatar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,120 posts

These are the best looking Astartes Troop units ever, taking the title away from Intercessors.
Simply fantastic, and I'll be getting at MINIMUM one squad.

The rules are very impressive too, and I feel if an army is built around a core of these guys it could be a true elite power house, but I think that regular Intercessors might still be the better Troop unit as they are far more flexible when it comes to transports, melee, etc

The models are ace. They make me actually think "movie marine" seeing them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users