New codex supplement before Christmas

Black Knight

Just noticed that's a Primaris with a storm shield on the cover! A banner in the background and either the new Chaplain or Cassius is getting an upgrade.

Edited by Black_Knight

Honestly, I'm not sure how I feel about this. I definitely wanted access to some more options, but "all the codex, with a few exceptions" feels like DW are just going to be watered down too much now.

Like, are we getting Tactical, Devastator and Assault squads? So our firstborn units aren't even veterans now? I don't see why we'd need Sternguard or Company Veterans squads since our regular Veteran squad is basically those. Scouts... I dunno. But then that just leaves Cents, characters, and vehicles, so thats more than a "few exceptions".

Codex cover wise, we've got a SW Infiltrator on there, so I can finally start making up some of those guys in the meantime! Primaris Chaplain Cassius, which I'm so so about, considering I just converted the Indomitus Chaplain into him (and had to buy a second, putting the OG Cassius shoulderpad on was pretty tricky).

Its weird, he's got the tabard of the Bladeguard and the same little Indomitus icon, but doesn't have the fancy kneepad trim, iron halo, etc. At this point, I think we all know the artwork is pretty accurate, there's never too much "artistic license" (remember the main Shadowspear image, the Infiltrators on the Urban warfare box set way before that unit came out, etc). We've also never seen art of Tacticus armour without the aquilla and having the pouches like the Mk8s before.

Not to jump to conclusions but... I certainly wouldn't be opposed to a new, specific DW Primaris kit.

The cover of the supplement got my hopes up that they were going to do an actual Primaris Kill-Team kit, but the photos from the video show the same exact range that was present in the last codex. 

I mean I guess it's kind of a wash since DW veterans and Primaris have essentially the same stat line now, and with assault intercessors, heavy intercessors, bladeguard, etc. I guess you could pretty much kit-bash any type of loadout you'd like and the stats don't really distinguish at this point. 

It would have been nice to see them go a little further, though with regards to at least building some new models for Deathwatch for this release. 

It's so weird seeing an ancient on the cover.. or prmiaris cassius haha. Hey, hopefully good news, it could mean we get access to the chaplain, techmarine and apothecary upgrades. And like everyone else, I'm still holding out for some infiltrators, incursors and impulsors. Heck even the first born techmarine and apothecary would be good to shave a few points off vs the primaris versions.

Super curious to see how the SIA thing works out. If we do have to wait for the supplement to get, hopefully it's not a long wait.

And those heavy intercessors seem interesting. Lots to wait and see how it plays out.

What did you guys think of the Eradicator additional options coming soon?

Edited by Mobius0288

Looks like the lad with the shield is a bladeguard, the tabard is the give away, and thats definately an infiltrator up front. That likely means we'll be getting all the phobos stuff, which is pretty major in 9th ed for denial. I would like to know what the exceptions are, what would nt be folded in if all the new stuff is?

My guess when it comes to the exceptions is some of the firstborn options which we havent had access to before. (stormtalon, land speeder, centurions etc.)

I do believe we will be getting access to all the new Primaris stuff though.

I just want 3 things in the new DW supplement...

1 Impulsor tanks

2 Phobos Marine Kill Team ie..

Sgt-give him the instigator Carbine and the covering fire rule...even if I have to spend a cp.

Have an incursor with a haywire mine

Apothecary Adept

Omni Scrambler/infiltrator

Comms Marine

Reiver with flashbangs

3- Give us Masters of the Chapter access so I can make a primaris Cpt into a watch master

At this point, I think we all know the artwork is pretty accurate, there's never too much "artistic license" (remember the main Shadowspear image

The one that had Black Legion terminator lord with two handed flaming mace that never materialized? Because I remember that one, and no, we don't "know", sorry. Or for another example, that Gravis Blood Angel captain that never materialized either?

the Infiltrators on the Urban warfare box set way before that unit came out

You mean the bog standard Reivers?

Yeah, the two we haven't seen yet out of how many "its just artistic license" images that turned out to have releases? :P I wouldn't be surprised if that flaming mace CSM shows up soon in this wave of single character models coming out (the DG, Dark Eldar, Ork, Sister that we saw recently). I'd check that box set art again, they're definitely infiltrators, not reivers.

One thing I was thinking about, Cassius went back to the Ultramarines no? Overkill is still in my reading pile, but he's a pretty big honcho now to be seconded back again no?

Yeah, the two we haven't seen yet out of how many "its just artistic license" images that turned out to have releases? :tongue.: I wouldn't be surprised if that flaming mace CSM shows up soon in this wave of single character models coming out (the DG, Dark Eldar, Ork, Sister that we saw recently). I'd check that box set art again, they're definitely infiltrators, not reivers.

Sigh. Sorry, the infiltrator thing bothers me ever since it was spread by someone clueless who doesn't even play SM on dakka, and despite being debunked dozens of times is still going strong in multiple places. Look at this pic:

40K-20190113070521.jpg

They have reiver masks. They also have chest grenades (infiltrators don't) including reiver exclusive flashbangs, combat blades, assault symbol on pads, unlike troop infiltrator one, have sword skull emblem on chest, not infiltrator crossbones one, and the top guy is 1:1 drawing of reiver sergeant from ETB kit. They look literally nothing like infiltrators.

One thing I was thinking about, Cassius went back to the Ultramarines no? Overkill is still in my reading pile, but he's a pretty big honcho now to be seconded back again no?

Not just 'went back', he is their Master of Sanctity, commander of anti-tyranid half of first company, and, you know, 70% robot so he looks nothing like he did in his DW years.