N&R consolidation

Marshal Loss

I fully understand why mods want to not just do a single "big reveals" thread anymore. Unwieldy and hard to control yada yada. But rather than having 309 different threads, why not just have a "Space Marine reveals" "Necron reveals" thread etc. We have 12 threads from this morning alone that could easily be consolidated down into 3 or 4.

EaFu966.png

This is just odious.

This is something I've grumbled about in the past, especially when the decision was made to split everything up. It shifted the work away from the moderators and onto the community, and (as correctly pointed out) can lead to fifty-thousand spammed threads. This was a fairly large slew for 40k by all accounts - I think the last preview stream had, what, three threads total for 40k, Heresy and Necromunda?

I caught myself um and ah'ing twice other whether or not certain stuff needed posting - the codices could have been done in one thread, and I skipped Bladeguard and the Captain entirely.

In general, having each product covered in its own topic allows the discussion to remain focused on that product. Our normal practice is to close each product topic when the product is released. Since products aren't always on the same release schedule, even when they are related thematically, having consolidated topics for different products becomes problematic.

The better solution is for the general consolidated topics to be covered in the faction forums. This allows for all of the opinionating and speculation on the various products to be covered in a single topic; and it would keep the NRBA discussions cleaner, focusing more on release information and less on the opinions and speculation that tend to muddle these discussions.

Don't agree it's a better solution at all. Doing so splits discussion on identical items and often results in people posting the same (even directly quoting their own posts) things in different parts of the forum. Even if we assumed you were correct on a day-to-day trickle basis, having literally a dozen active threads simultaneously in the event of a major preview is obviously unwieldy. Rules shouldn't be so rigid as to be unable to respond to circumstance, as is rather clearly the case here

This gets into the area of information architecture and content management.

The consolidated topics don't work well when it comes to these issues.

Any time we have a slew of previews like this morning, there are bound to be related products and the inefficiencies of this system stand out. In the steady state with the more normal release/preview rate, however, the efficiencies of this system are clear.

We're not changing.