Raven Guard Supplement

Inquisitor Eisenhorn

What's the story with the Raven Guard supplement from last year?  Is that going to be redone after the new Codex, or was that designed to be compatible with the new codex and 9th? 

On a separate note, I was looking through my copy recently and was struck by how unthematic the model showcase in that book is.  No Infiltrators, incursors, bikes/landspeeders, just a bunch of the bog standard first year Primaris releases +Shrike. 

As BB said GW says theyre compatible with the up coming codex

They have not said if they will be replaced after the new book. Since crusade and army specific secondaries are meant to be a thing you could assume at some point they will be. Pure speculation at this point though.

The preview this weekend said that current supplements are compatible and I would imagine that they designed the supplements with 9th in mind. It's about half way down the page under the 2:20 time stamp update: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/09/12/the-codex-show/

It will serve as a core book for future codex supplements that will formally reintroduce each Chapter’s bespoke units and Characters (we’ll have more on these later). Existing codex supplements such as that of the Ultramarines are still perfectly compatible with the new book, and we’ll be providing the Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Deathwatch, and Space Wolves with get-you-by rules so you’ll be good to go from the outset.

I imagined there was an attempt at 9e compatibility but considering the mess with Iron Hands and Imperial Fist in 8th and what it took to bring Marines back to earth a tad, I suspect the Supplements are going to drop in effectiveness bus good margin.

Yeah, I'd think they will be be compatible to start, but we will likely see replacements once all the "new" codex have dropped, which considering how fast the first six are planned, could be as early as the end of next year. I have a feeling we will see alot of Errata as soon as the new Dex drops though.

You know, I very rarely allow myself to buy codexes and supplements anymore, because I've been in the hobby for basically 20 years, and for a good majority of that time, books were good for anywhere from 3-6 years.  This constant re-releasing/updating of books (ESPECIALLY MARINES) has made me feel burned by every single GW codex/supplement purchase I've made for the past 5 years, and I don't know why I even had to bother asking in this case; the answer was always that it wasn't going to carry over very well. 

How long do you think this 9th edition codex/supplement cycle will last?  14 months?

Your hours per dollar of entertainment probably on the same level as a video game, set of novels or movies.

nah, definitely much lower for me personally, and either way I really dislike the relatively faster rate of these rules updates.

Your hours per dollar of entertainment probably on the same level as a video game, set of novels or movies.

nah, definitely much lower for me personally, and either way I really dislike the relatively faster rate of these rules updates.

I sympathize with you there. I too am feeling release fatigue and the overzealous product cycle. I just don't "consume" this hobby at the same rate that I do other media, but the release schedule is coming at such a clip (as a marine player mind you) that I feel overwhelmed. When I saw the new Crusade pack already, I thought to myself "good lord, I was just finding the time to get together a crusade list and prep myself with the rules, i'm hardly in a position to need more content to supplement this play"

I don't mind if the supplements fly off the shelves if it's missions or scenarios but it does grind my gears when there are rules that I need to buy if I want to stay current. I skipped the PA book because I don't care about suped up libbys or chapter masters but a codex is one of those non-negotiable things - you either have it and play or you don't have it and don't play, no options there.

I'll buy any "core" book or supplement for my army happily. Things like PA which are primarily narrative (third tier of importance for me) then yeah pdf. Laying out that cash for just the rules is goofy. They need to get good with the online army builder and I'll be happy to do a reasonable subscription for updates.