Priming with smoke in the air

Urkh

Hey guys, first time posting in this part of the forums, so I hope this is the right place for this question.

I just acquired a command edition starter and was looking to prime the models soon. However, I live on the west coast of the US, and as you may or may not know, there are forest fires all over the place. As such, the air is full of smoke from the fires. I know things like temp and humidity can effect the way the primer hits the minis from an aerosol can, but what about smoke? I thought I would ask here before just starting to prime them and learn the hard way that something bad is about to happen. This is probably a super niche question, but any feedback would be appreciated.

Hey guys, first time posting in this part of the forums, so I hope this is the right place for this question.

I just acquired a command edition starter and was looking to prime the models soon. However, I live on the west coast of the US, and as you may or may not know, there are forest fires all over the place. As such, the air is full of smoke from the fires. I know things like temp and humidity can effect the way the primer hits the minis from an aerosol can, but what about smoke? I thought I would ask here before just starting to prime them and learn the hard way that something bad is about to happen. This is probably a super niche question, but any feedback would be appreciated.

You could always take some scrap sprue outside and try priming that first, to get an idea of what it would look like on a macro scale.

You might end up with fisheye's on larger smoother parts, maybe minor orange peel or if you're lucky just some stringing of the paint. Essentially think of it as priming in a very dusty area, some contaminants will likely get caught in the stream of the spray. I'd almost say spray in a garage or other enclosed space and have a fan push the air outside leaving things to dry in an enclosed or covered space to prevent setting particles from drying onto your models.

k, just primed a sprue with some extra vehicle pieces im never going to use from my Eldar. Other than the smoke, everything was a pretty normal day weather wise here. I feel it came out mostly smooth, actually. There seems to be a little extra texture that is probably from ash particles, but I don't think it will be too noticeable. I think I can confidently prime my starter set tomorrow and not worry too much.

gallery_65490_16360_105109.jpeg

(You can also see the WiP wind riders i am doing for the aeldari event in the background!)

I live in Virginia so I get about 3 weeks of spraying weather per year that's not hot/humid or cold/dry, the spring priming window is FULL of pollen you can't see in the air but turns your car green overnight.  One day I sprayed 1000+ points of ork troops and ended up with a sandpaper finish.  

Ash may be a much lower concentration than pollen but I hope it goes well for you.  Good luck with all that craziness :(

I don't have pics but I primed in Vancouver yesterday and things turned out fine. No dappling, particulates or anything visible other than a few mold lines I missed :down:

I hate that so much, I have one a marine leg right now that's KILLING me...

Happens so much with me. When I think I got all the mold lines, as soon as the model is primed... Find out one was missed.... :laugh.:

Edited by Gederas

I've recently picked up some AK Interactive black primer, because i have some sort of reaction to the smell of spray primer propellant.  It works sell for giving your models that satin black, slightly chalky texture that you get from spray primer, but is brush applied.

I've seen suggestions of running the shower for a few minutes to clear the air, and then doing whatever it was in the bathroom (this was for cleaning dust bunnies from the sensor in a DSLR, but it's fundamentally a similar problem).  Obviously, this is not compatible with any task which requires ventilation due to fumes (I don't know if you're using a can or airbrush) ...

I'm using a can spray primer. Doing it in the bathroom after running the shower seems like it would cause a high humidity, yah? I also live in an apartment with room mates, so no garage, and I'm not the only person I'd be affecting with fumes, so outside it has to be. The test spru went decent, just waiting for my chance to actually go out and spray the stuff now.

Urkh, I'm not sure how you are used to your priming turning out, but from that shot you posted of the black, it looks like you got a lot of texturing going on there - is that from the surface of the plastic, because if it's from the primer, it doesn't look smooth.

I'm using a can spray primer. Doing it in the bathroom after running the shower seems like it would cause a high humidity, yah? I also live in an apartment with room mates, so no garage, and I'm not the only person I'd be affecting with fumes, so outside it has to be.

Yeah, that method sounds like a no-go for you :(

Urkh, I'm not sure how you are used to your priming turning out, but from that shot you posted of the black, it looks like you got a lot of texturing going on there - is that from the surface of the plastic, because if it's from the primer, it doesn't look smooth.

Zooming in closer to the photo, I see what you are talking about. I have really bad eyesight, so I can't see stuff like that just looking at the minis. I may have to just wait until the smoke clears. Unfortunate.

Well, first - hopefully you are and remain safe!

I don't really have a good tip for you regarding reducing the ash/particulate out of the air - something tells me even running a room air purifier isn't going to help that much, and as you said, doesn't sound like you could do anything inside anyway (I'm not sure how much good it would really do).

Have you tried warming your primer up before spraying? Something I like doing (while avoiding making a spray can grenade) is getting tap hot water (like barely able to stick your finger in for 4-5 seconds) in a large measuring cup/bucket, and letting the aerosol can sit in there (as it empties, you'll need to find a way to keep it sitting in the water instead of floating) for about 5-6 minutes or so. Doing that once should heat it up enough to make a finer spray while priming unless you are priming for several hours at a time. Even on the Corax White and Wraithbone sprays, I do this (and apply them over a single primer white coat anyway).

Start spraying off the model, move across the model somewhat quickly, and stop spraying off the model - all about a foot or so from the model. Depending on the primer, I wouldn't do more than maybe 3-4 passes with a light touch on the spray (I usually do three at most) - if it's light, just let it get dry and come back for another set of passes - it's like two light coats for priming.

Unsolicited advance that may have little value to you. ;)

Any advice is good advice if it helps someone. The point of this thread is to give advice. I've personally never heard of heating up your spray can that way (or at all, for that matter), so that is something I'll have to keep in my storage corner of my brain. I have a strong feeling this isn't going to be the last forest fire season that interrupts people's ability to prime, you know?

Where is smokey the bear when you need him?

I live in Virginia so I get about 3 weeks of spraying weather per year that's not hot/humid or cold/dry, the spring priming window is FULL of pollen you can't see in the air but turns your car green overnight.  One day I sprayed 1000+ points of ork troops and ended up with a sandpaper finish.  

Ash may be a much lower concentration than pollen but I hope it goes well for you.  Good luck with all that craziness :sad.:

I live in NC and had the same problem with pollen, I ruined a whole unit of dwarves and decided to paint over them and they are now the first on the block for a repaint.  The only way to prime during the spring time is after a rainy day to get the pollen out of the atmosphere.  Unlike you, however, I do look for dry days during the summer and prime then.  We did have about 30 days of no rain this summer and low humidity, which was perfect for spray priming.  

Eventually I will look into making a spray booth to have in a garage, house, etc.  Meantime my best advice for anyone worried about particles in the atmosphere messing with your priming or varnishing, is to buy a large plastic container and cover them with it.  It will limit the exposure to particles in the air while the spray dries out.  I use one for any spray work if I am worried about particles in the air, as well as a dust cover for anything that I am working on.  You can find something suitable at your local Wal-mart, Target, or grocery store, just make sure that it is large and wide enough to cover what you are working on.   

I've seen suggestions of running the shower for a few minutes to clear the air, and then doing whatever it was in the bathroom (this was for cleaning dust bunnies from the sensor in a DSLR, but it's fundamentally a similar problem). Obviously, this is not compatible with any task which requires ventilation due to fumes (I don't know if you're using a can or airbrush) ...

This is good for putting screen protectors on your phone.