Heavy slot

kiron

So with the changes to multi-melta and secondary objectives, will exorcists still see play? I was thinking replacing all the exorcists with 8 squad multi-melta squads and 2 armored cherubums. I think the cost for the two is about equal for full load out. 

exorcist, missiles, HB is 195

8 retributors, 4x MM, 2 cherubs, simalacrum, chainsword-191

Also, with missions going to centre, the range is less of an issue for retributors. 

Or would you take two detachments and have both?

I don't play competitive in any way, my 2k Sisters list for 9th, before I even knew about any of the weapons changes was an Exorcist and a unit of Retributors with Multi-meltas. They may not have been super before, but now I think they'll be doing some serious work. They'll be backed up by some Mortifiers with Heavy Bolters too. 

I ran three Exorcists Saturday against Thousand Sons. They won the game for me. I did have a 6 model MM Retributor Squad (I thought my opponent was bringing Knights ;) ) and it was good on dealing damage but not so good on resilience and didn't finish the game. All three Exorcists did, although one had only one wound left. Not only were they dealing damage I wound up holding table quarters & objectives with them on the last two turns of the game.

Now if you run Valorous Heart maybe the MM Retributors will be a lot more viable. Those are some very resilient ladies. I run Sacred Rose so I don't have access to their Order conviction.

You can also split the difference and get an immolator with twin multi-meltas :-)

Coming in at 145, it's less than either option, fires 4 melta-shot and 3 heavy bolter shots.  It's T7 with 10 wounds compared to T3 with 8 wounds (from a retributor squad).  Doesn't take up an org slot.  Holds 6 ladies. Can move 12" instead of Retributor 6". 

And here's why I think it's better than either option:

-Exorcists are swingy.  You can easily get overkill on a target just as easily as you can get underkill.  Either way you have to fire all your missiles against the same target.  6 is the average, and while that is good, it's probably overkill against most vehicles.  Although its likely what you want against Knights, Land Raiders, etc.  But I'd say the Immolator is a better take all-comer.  With a decent act of faith die/Cannoness buff, the Immolator should pop most Predator-equivalent style tanks in one round of shooting and certainly if it's within 12" of its target.  

-Retributors will have one great round of shooting and then all get blitzed off table. Immolator has some staying power (potentially if you did your job right with deployment and/or threat assessment).  Additionally, because you have to declare all your shooting at the same time, you might be forced to make some wrong calls about how to divvy up your shooting.

Just some thoughts.

EDIT: in full transparency, this is all theory crafting.  I have yet to play a single game of 9th edition, and never played SoB before in my life (i'm still putting my army together)

Edited by 9x19 Parabellum

An exo is almost enough points to get a BSS in a MM-Immo. Range of the fire base is the thing. An exo dead center on tour back field can possibly hit the entire table if it has too. I have been running two Exo's, Canoness and a HB Ret squad as my backfield because it fits behind an average piece of obscuring terrain.

I'm in a pickle because I'd like to run basically two retributor squads (multimeltas & heavy bolters) and two Exorcists, but then running Spearhead detachment needed to be able to do that I'd be running out of elite slots in a hurry if playing a OML+Argent list or OML-only. If playing as OML+BR, then running Spearhead + Vanguard would be fine I guess.

Not that the Exorcist seem great in 9th since they'll pop so easily, but since I have 'em and they look cool, might as well use 'em. Not like it'd be a tournament list anyway.

But this in part why I'm lauding the Immolator as well. It's no longer just a heavy flamer.  With the changes to vehicles not suffering the penalty to move and shoot heavies, and the buff to both heavy bolters and multimeltas, and the ability to shoot into combat if charged....you can basically think of Immolators as HS choices...except they are not. No reason to pay the CP for a spearhead. Run a battalion, get your 3 HS choices however you please (2 exos + 1 ret for example) and then make up the difference in immolators.

Playing with the updated profile in house in a Crusade campaign as well as an 8man RTT in my basement over the last few nights. The MMImmo is a real work horse.

Best round I had was two of the four I run taking out a Knight from full health in one turn while a different combo did the same the next turn.

But this in part why I'm lauding the Immolator as well. It's no longer just a heavy flamer.  With the changes to vehicles not suffering the penalty to move and shoot heavies, and the buff to both heavy bolters and multimeltas, and the ability to shoot into combat if charged....you can basically think of Immolators as HS choices...except they are not. No reason to pay the CP for a spearhead. Run a battalion, get your 3 HS choices however you please (2 exos + 1 ret for example) and then make up the difference in immolators.

Thing is I plan to run the Immos in addition, not instead of :biggrin.: Currently I only have Immos for my "metal" detachment, no newer plastic Immo kits yet. Need to get that sorted at some point, though probably only getting one.

Edited by tvih

• 5 weeks later...

I am thinking of running a Retributor Squad with 2 MMs and 2 HBs, backed up with a pair of Cherubs.

I am cutting back on my Exorcists because I need more bodies for Objective Secured.

Going to mention that 4 mortifiers isn't a bad choice for a heavy slot either. One thing that is interesting about them is that their close combat potential makes them a fire magnet in ways that other heavy units aren't. And given that Mortifiers have the Sororitas Keyword, they benefit from a lot of strats/ order traits.

Going to mention that 4 mortifiers isn't a bad choice for a heavy slot either. One thing that is interesting about them is that their close combat potential makes them a fire magnet in ways that other heavy units aren't. And given that Mortifiers have the Sororitas Keyword, they benefit from a lot of strats/ order traits.

Some great pros, which are offset by the cons of being a prime source of points for Bring Them Down. They also do not have the <ORDER> keyword, so they cannot benefit from Order Traits, but they can benefit from Stratagems that key off of Sororitas units only. The latest buffs to their weapon options certainly help push them forward offensively, but on the flip-side they are also now more vulnerable to those same weapons.