Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Necron Reanimation Protocols

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
221 replies to this topic

Matrindur

Matrindur

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 60 posts

SSG0lAS.png

So, from a quick skimread, in no particular order

Reanimation looks to be an extra save of some kind when a model dies - can't be taken if the unit is wiped out by a single set of 'attacks'.
Protocol of the Eternal Guardian gives light cover if you don't move +/ unknown.
Protocol of the Hungry Void give extra AP for melee attacks +/ unknown.
Plasmactye is NOT part of the Skorphek destroyer unit, moves as a seperate unit.
Command Protocols turn off when your last 'Noble' dies
No QS on the reanimator (I had hope)

Stratagem names + vague descriptions
Disintegration Capacitors - improves shooting, not clear what but feels like strength or AP
Relentless Onslaught - Improves shooting, feels like number of shots.

Equipment - No descriptions
Nanoscarab Casket
Quantum Orb - Cyrptek Arcana

Taken from the latest White Dwarf

Edited by Matrindur, 14 September 2020 - 03:17 PM.

• mithrilforge, Nemesor Tyriks, Spyros and 1 other like this

Marshal Loss

Marshal Loss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,134 posts
  • Faction: Emperor's Children

That is such a super cool mechanic, thematically speaking

• Marshal Rohr, Dosjetka, Shinespider and 1 other like this

bRxSYDV.png

Emperor's Children 22ᶮᵈ Millennial

Sons of Horus 29th Company

Death Guard Warband: The Fourth Seal

Karhedron

Karhedron

++ RENASCITUR EX MORS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,456 posts
Rolling RP after each attack finishes is a big improvement. Not quite as good as FNP but not far off.
  • Dark Shepherd likes this
Sanguinius stood up, stretching his wings to their full extent. He flexed his hands. "I need no blade".
It was as though Sanguinius gleamed with pale light, his face white, eyes becoming blood-red, surrounded by the golden crown of flowing hair. Guilliman had witnessed glimpses of of his brother's wrath before, but had never seen the true Blood Angel unleashed. Sanguinius surged forward on alabaster wings, half a meter from the floor, whiteness streaming from him like flames.

Gederas

Gederas

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,794 posts

From the playester in my discord in response to people (read: mostly me) freaking out about that wording. Because as it's written/explained in that blurb you "reanimate after each enemy attack". As each shot from a weapon is a separate attack, it'd prevent fas-rolling against Necrons at all.

Ergo, you can't have the 5 Intercessors or Tactical Marines roll all 10 shots at once, but each shot one at a time. So you'll have to roll to hit, roll to wound, then the Necron gets to roll to save, then Reanimation Protocol. Every single shot. By that wording.

This is what he said:
"That is not the actual rule. I know the actual rule and it does not allow that to happen. It is after the attacking unit makes their attacks
All of them"

So in my above case, 5 Intercessors/Tactical Marines make 10 shots, 5 wound and the Necrons fail 4 saves and 4 die. Then after that, they get Reanimation Protocols to see if they stand back up.

Edited by Gederas, 14 September 2020 - 03:19 PM.

• RWJP, Volt and Matrindur like this

Marshal Valkenhayn

Marshal Valkenhayn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 452 posts
  • Faction: Daemons Of Khorne

Rolling RP after each attack finishes is a big improvement. Not quite as good as FNP but not far off.

I'd say its a side grade. On one hand, it turns off if the unit is completely destroyed. On the other, multi damage weapons don't matter, so it fills the same design space as a FNP while being stronger against the thing that counters FNP units. Not better or worse. Though, as I can't read the rule, I'm curious if it allos you to try and bring back all missing models, or only models destroyed by that attack. If it's the former, it's significantly stronger than an FNP.

But not being able to read the rule, how i expect it to work is only rolling for models destroyed by that attack, while the Resurrection Orb will allow them to make a once per game roll during the command phase to bring back Any lost models. That makes the most sense with internal balance.

Captain Smashy Pants

Captain Smashy Pants

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,264 posts

That is such a super cool mechanic, thematically speaking

Kinda reminds me of synapse, while being wildly different.
  • 6262 likes this
gallery_62972_14467_3390.jpggallery_62972_14467_13489.jpggallery_62972_14467_3390.jpg

I do find it hilarious that some people were saying the size of newer marine stuff looks great next to regular humans like Cadians, and then GW upsized the humans so they are the same height as marines again :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kervin40k

Kervin40k

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 27 posts

I am feeling worried about this:

1) it is looking like mods to RP rolls are going to be targeted and not aruas (see chronitorn) 

2) we don't know if it will be bring model back on full wounds or just one.

3) we don't know if there will be anything that will negative mods to RP

4) we don't know the base RP roll, it could be 6+

Karhedron

Karhedron

++ RENASCITUR EX MORS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,456 posts

I'd say its a side grade. On one hand, it turns off if the unit is completely destroyed. On the other, multi damage weapons don't matter, so it fills the same design space as a FNP while being stronger against the thing that counters FNP units. Not better or worse. Though, as I can't read the rule, I'm curious if it allos you to try and bring back all missing models, or only models destroyed by that attack. If it's the former, it's significantly stronger than an FNP.

No it's definitely an upgrade. RP always turned off if a squad was destroyed so that part has not changed. But because you make the rolls after each enemy unit has finished attacking, your opponent can no longer focus several units on a single Necron unit to wipe them out and deny them RP rolls. Only units that put out massive levels of attacks like Knights will stand a chance of bringing down squads in one go. Lots more models will get to make RP polls under this rule than the old version.

Definitely a big improvement over the old RP mechanic. Could be enough to bring back silver tide lists.

I am feeling worried about this:
1) it is looking like mods to RP rolls are going to be targeted and not aruas (see chronitorn) 
2) we don't know if it will be bring model back on full wounds or just one.
3) we don't know if there will be anything that will negative mods to RP
4) we don't know the base RP roll, it could be 6+

True, there are a lot of unkowns at this point. But all other things being equal, this will make taking and holding Objectives with big Warrior units a whole lot easier.
  • Nemesor Tyriks, Kervin40k and Marshal Valkenhayn like this
Sanguinius stood up, stretching his wings to their full extent. He flexed his hands. "I need no blade".
It was as though Sanguinius gleamed with pale light, his face white, eyes becoming blood-red, surrounded by the golden crown of flowing hair. Guilliman had witnessed glimpses of of his brother's wrath before, but had never seen the true Blood Angel unleashed. Sanguinius surged forward on alabaster wings, half a meter from the floor, whiteness streaming from him like flames.

Nemesor Tyriks

Nemesor Tyriks

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,611 posts

It's hard to imagine RP being any worse.  As it currently is, the rule might as well not exist, and I never count on it.  So worst case scenario I will continue not counting on it and not counting on it.

Stupidity

Stupidity

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 114 posts
  • Faction: Necrons/Sneaky Beakies

"Protocol of the Eternal Guardian gives light cover if you don't move"

Good on vehicles if they can use it. Otherwise not so great. 

Nobles will be in short supply if only lords/overlords count. Seeing as they can only really take 2-3 characters per detachment...

I love all these rules though. So excited. yes.gif 

Marshal Valkenhayn

Marshal Valkenhayn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 452 posts
  • Faction: Daemons Of Khorne

Karhedron, I used the wrong term. I wasn't referring to the new RP being a side grade to the old, I meant that in comparison to an FNP it's a side grade, not better or worse in my opinion. Still using the term slightly wrong but that's what I meant. This new RP is flatly better in every way, I agree, and I'm excited to see it.

• mithrilforge and Karhedron like this

Karhedron

Karhedron

++ RENASCITUR EX MORS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,456 posts
Ah sorry for misunderstanding. smile.png

SirJyo

SirJyo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 218 posts
  • Faction: Black templars,
Wonder if a model that previously failed a reanimation protocol can re-attempt when the unit is attacked again.

Multiple weak attack sequences will be detrimental to your necron killing progress if they can.
  • coldfyre and Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch like this
Who?

Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch

Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch

++ CRUDIOR ÆTERNO ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 1,267 posts
  • Faction: Space Marines, Necrons

Wonder if a model that previously failed a reanimation protocol can re-attempt when the unit is attacked again.

Multiple weak attack sequences will be detrimental to your necron killing progress if they can.

Paradoxically, anti tank and anti infantry weapons may have to be retargeted to efficiently handle threats. QS can still negate a lot of high-damage weaponry, and if you can roll for previously destroyed models every time you’re attacked, well, anti-infantry firepower won’t do much.

Dosjeska: But then again we are Iron Hands, we will use a hammer as a scalpel. Ace Debonair: Loyalists bow to The Emperor, Heretics bow to their Dark Gods, but everybody bows to Captain Semper. Brian Blaire: Bolted for emphasis
There are 4 boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order. -anon [][] Laus Alit Artes-Praise Nourishes the Arts
gallery_77459_13226_2824.pnggallery_4664_12529_16642.jpgDawn Blades Iron Gauntlet Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch's Workshopgallery_26154_15777_16051.png
Dawn Blades: W/L/D: 2/9/1 wh40k 8th 0/0/0 Kill Team
Naculan Dynasty: W/L/D: 0/0/0 wh40k 8th 1/1/0 Kill Team

Mr4Minutes

Mr4Minutes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 682 posts
My guess is once you fail the rp roll, the model can’t comeback that round. Or possibly at all.

However I have seen suggestions that a stratagem or the Rez orb would allow you to attempt a roll on your own turn.

Need those codex leaks!

mithrilforge

mithrilforge

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,298 posts
  • Faction: 40k - xenos & ad-mech

So a light skim of this makes me think potentially that Marines ( the other half of all armies) will think they need to take full size squads so they can maximise firepower to bring a whole unit down....  thus blast weapons will be cool ( do we have any blast weapons now...huh.png )

I know in the first incantation of Necrons if you failed your WBB roll then the model left but wasn't there a change a couple years back that if your unit wasn't reduced to 0 you could roll your WBB rolls at the start of each turn until all your models stood back up or the entire unit was wiped?...

I need a new Codex Necrons sweat.gif  ... one month to Go !

Mithril

gallery_70393_10089_1851.png gallery_48988_6285_17537.pnggallery_6494_6331_8260.pnggallery_48988_15465_40221.png  gallery_48988_15465_18945.png

MajorNese-  In the grim darkness of the near future, there is only complaints. biggrin.png

Fajita Fan

Fajita Fan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,072 posts
  • Faction: All of them?

I'm trying to remember the 3rd edition rules but I feel like it's been toned down for 5 editions now so maybe a boost is in order.  I will admit I'd rather see the test take place at the end of the turn, not after each wave of shooting that slows down rolls slightly.  

Blame my iPhone for typos because I'm 95% on mobile.

mithrilforge

mithrilforge

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,298 posts

I'm trying to remember the 3rd edition rules but I feel like it's been toned down for 5 editions now so maybe a boost is in order.  I will admit I'd rather see the test take place at the end of the turn, not after each wave of shooting that slows down rolls slightly.  

I know where your coming from on rolls slowing gameplay a little but I'm quite happy to weather a storm of shooting and attempt to get back up...it lets me think tactically about the unit in hand an whether I use it differently next turn depending on unit size... it helps necrons have more flexibility now... I hope tongue.png

Man!! so many new units to get... my old school army was big blobs of warriors 2x lords, a Pyramid and heaps of destroyers and scarabs.... now its like playing marines in metal armour laugh.png

Mithril

gallery_70393_10089_1851.png gallery_48988_6285_17537.pnggallery_6494_6331_8260.pnggallery_48988_15465_40221.png  gallery_48988_15465_18945.png

MajorNese-  In the grim darkness of the near future, there is only complaints. biggrin.png

Triszin

Triszin

++ INTERFECTOR ROBUSTUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 7,022 posts

I assume they can attempt to bring back a model on a 6 at the end of the shooting phase, combat phase, and psykic phase until its maxed again?

or am I wrong in this assumption?

I see the lethality in 40k increasing greatly.

I guess there isnt much really shown about how it works, but im sure we'll find out soon enough

banana

mithrilforge

mithrilforge

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,298 posts

Yeah … We seriously need page 80 of Codex Necrons laugh.png

Mithril

Hathor42

Hathor42

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 400 posts
Berserkers attack
Crons get back up
Berserkers attack again
Crons get back up
Berserkers spend strats and attack yet again
Aaaand Crons get back up lol.
  • Focslain, Dumah, Gederas and 4 others like this

Dumah

Dumah

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 644 posts

Berserkers attack
Crons get back up
Berserkers attack again
Crons get back up

This just made my day.

I write things:

What Chapter Am I: A Fan Fiction Guessing Game

The Squiggly Beast that Could

Orks Iz Best

Beakiez iz okay, too...

The Observer

The Observer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,414 posts
  • Faction: The Legions of Yore

Berserkers attack
Crons get back up
Berserkers attack again
Crons get back up

"We can do this all day, bunny-ears."
  • Interrogator-Chaplain Ezra, Morticon, Gederas and 5 others like this
Instagram Handle: count.hodo

12.jpg

mel_danes

mel_danes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 411 posts
Assault Intersessor chainsword attacks in game cinematic.
Necron stays dead forever.
Sister shoots Necron in game cinematic.
Necron stays dead forevermore.

The lack of reanimation protocols in the cinematic was disappointing.

mithrilforge

mithrilforge

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,298 posts

Assault Intersessor chainsword attacks in game cinematic.
Necron stays dead forever.
Sister shoots Necron in game cinematic.
Necron stays dead forevermore.
The lack of reanimation protocols in the cinematic was disappointing.

That’s because GW doesn’t want to scare all the new kids off from buying Primaris and new sisters...
It’s only when they start playing and go oh I need more firepower to take out these dang aliens.... “hello kid wanna buy some new toys from GW to bolster your force”....msn-wink.gif 

Mithril

Edited by mithrilforge, 15 September 2020 - 10:53 PM.

• mel_danes likes this

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users