Army wide 3 inch heroic intervention any good?

Ozeryk_Sleipnijr

It is useful for marines because you almost always move with units close to each other in order to take advantage of the aura abilities of wolf Lord, battle leader, wolf priest or even rune priest's chooser of the slain strat. Combine that with a way to make an enemy charger fight last (like armour of russ or judiciar) and

you pretty much hard counter any strong melee unit who comes to you. The position here is key. You have to have the dreads, infantry, cavalry etc in the front and the characters right behind them with fly (jumpack) in order to intervene ignoring the models in front of them. You can also use the strat to intervene a unit 6'' that is a bit further from the others (priority has the model with the Fight last debuff) ...

Looks good on paper but the units must be really close to each other in order to work

PS: in the rules they didn't specify how heroic intervention works when the unit has the fly keyword, they did though specify that the unit can make a charge move ignoring models in the way when it has fly. Heroic interventions being part of the charge phase i guess their intention was to work the same way as charge moves with fly, otherwise the rule becomes really weak

Edited by lonewolf81

I see the 3" heroic as the best defensive power on the table. If someone wants to take an objective from you they have to either charge us or eat our HI. They can't hide within range of the objective with us on it without engaging us. It is going to require becoming a master of the movement phase for sure to set-up the defense but it will pay off. I look forward to trying this and seeing how much it sets back certain armies about engaging us mid-board

I actually like it more than the 6 inches characters got with the old one. Heroic Intervention doesn't prevent the character/unit from being attacked anymore which is pretty big nerf IMO.

One thing I have done this edition is advanced a troop to contest an objective. With our chapter tactic they'd have to make sure they're 3 inches away from my unit and still within 3 of the objective or have to deal with some Intercessors.

I hope we keep the strat for a 6” HI

If thats the case it's the best of both worlds IMO. I couldn't burn CP fast enough last game and the threat of it and forcing the opponent to take risks or giving them the chance to make mistakes is the real value.

It's the implication...

zlud9auao3d11.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

Also if I recall the HI strat says nothing about 6 inch. It simply says you can do it as if you were a character and then the wolf’s passive kicks in and number goes to 6. Don’t have the codex to fact check but if this is how it is that strat is toast and will be dropped or reworked I’m guessing

Also if I recall the HI strat says nothing about 6 inch. It simply says you can do it as if you were a character and then the wolf’s passive kicks in and number goes to 6. Don’t have the codex to fact check but if this is how it is that strat is toast and will be dropped or reworked I’m guessing

The Strategem states that the unit is allowed to HI as if a character but specifies they can do so within 6" and move 6" instead of the normal 3".

I think this change will favor MSU more than ever. 2 squads of Blood Claws in a Rhino are a flexible package of ObSec that can HI for each other. Add an Armor of Russ (or a Judicar) in there and the opponent just killed themselves.

Biggest thing a Redditor pointed out is counter playing Fish of Fury tactics. Breachers do amazing point blank shooting damage, and like to hop out of a Devilfish close enough to contest an objective, but not charge. Well, most objectives are 3" range also, meaning Tau in particular lose their strongest objective clearing ObSec option... if you survive. Thank Russ for 2 wounds!

Edited by FabulousRex