Lion El'Jonson, Primarch of the Dark Angels - A build log

Cpt. Bannockburn

First, the nifty mystery box. Very pretty.

EzPPZvx.jpg

The instruction manual. The inside is mostly a parts list and build instructions, so I will only post it on request. Here's how the model looks with the full diorama base, but you all know that already.

NPLS327.jpg

Contents, box 1

rTGNBmd.jpg

Contents, box 2

KEINZqV.jpg

All the parts, none damaged during transport. Very clean casts. 
Not shown: standard bases, one to slot into the diorama base, one for the diorama base itself.

WhzwTnB.jpg

These are all the parts that make up the primarch himself, with two head options and two sword options and accompanying scabbards.

uh2O7lk.jpg

And finally the parts making up the diorama base. One Night Lord still fighting, the rest pretty sliced up, with an assortment of corpse parts to glue to the base.

DhmcVgG.jpg

Today I've cleaned up the resin to prepare for washing and gluing in the next few days. Unfortunately, my cyanoacrylate superglue has last been used some time last year, so I need to make another trip into town before I can actually build more than the base assembly.

It wil probably take me some time to paint everything after building, but I plan to do it fairly consistently over the next few weeks.

A few of the parts were warped, but not dramatically so. All in all, I will say that this is a very high quality model from Forge World, with a minimum of hassle. The parts all fit together very well after the cleanup. Cleaning was a minimum of cutting and filing, there was very little flash, easily removed with a sharp knife.

Next step will be washing everything thoroughly, gluing the bases with JB Weld, and then starting on the primarch himself. The diorama base will be looked at afterwards.

Today, I scrubbed the mold release agent with dishsoap and cleaned up a few little sprue parts that I had missed initially. I almost lost a very small part in the drain, but was able to catch it in time. :whistling: :sweat:

Then I used JB Weld to secure the baseplates to the actual bases, and while I was at it, did the same to the main body. Since it takes a good while to cure, I fixated everything with clamps.

As you can see, I also found superglue, so I glued together the poor Night Lord (minus backpack) as well as arms and front tabard / belt.

Tomorrow, when the epoxy glue is cured fully, I plan to look into which subassemblies I will build to make painting simpler. I might even get the primer sprayed before the weekend!

C9haiEe.jpg

Today, I scrubbed the mold release agent with dishsoap and cleaned up a few little sprue parts that I had missed initially. I almost lost a very small part in the drain, but was able to catch it in time. :whistling: :sweat:

And THAT is why I scrub the pieces while they're still on the gates :lol: Much harder to almost lose pieces that way. :yes:

front tabard / belt.

Oh come on man. They even correctly call it a surcoat on the instructions! :lol:

Also side note: When I see your name, I can't help but hear

When working near a drain always always always put the plug in! I wash my resin in an old lasagne dish so nothing can escape.

This is a great idea for a thread Captain. I haven't bought a Lion for my pile of shame yet so I'll live vicariously through yours.

Edited by Cactus

Cleaned up and de-warped the pieces in need of that.

NYqg0cv.jpg

Posed on the diorama base.

ukkCSIF.jpg

Here's what I got done today. Everything is now primed black with the help of my airbrush, and a light dusting of grey primer for a very rudimentary zenithal highlight to bring out the details (which makes later painting easier for me). A bit of spattering is visible; my airbrush is not the best. I only use it for priming though, and none of that will be visible later.

The parts are held in place with putty, I just posed everything so you can get an idea how they go together.

r5Ik8uy.jpg

And some smaller pieces. The head is pinned, so I can use both options. However, I decided not to paint the grenades and chainsword option, since I don't like the look.

Tomorrow I will go into town to pick up a few pots of paint that I will need.

HRJ8GCs.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I had a few months of hobby burnout again, but yesterday I got back into it.

Photo quality is terrible, as usual, due to lighting this evening, and me being an absolutely incapable photographer.

Here's what I got done:

tM0WbEj.jpg

56UxTal.jpg

I got the main colors blocked in now, and worked on the cloth as well as some shading with washes.

The next step is to highlight the golds and silvers and work on the actual black of the armor. 

I'm working inside out, so main body assembly first, then the things to glue onto that, followed by the giant cloak and fur collar, backpack and finally the head. 

Currently, all the parts are just blu-tac'ed on.

• 1 month later...