Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Why do 40k torpedoes pass through shields?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Whitelion

Whitelion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 181 posts

I've always wondered, in the quotes I've read in the novels, it is mentioned that they are built specifically to do it.

Others argue that they do so because they travel at low speeds, and vacuum shields cannot stop objects traveling at low speeds.

This seems strange to me, as in BFG the torpedoes move to:

Normal Torpedo: Speed 10 VUs, 100'000km for 30m (55.6 km / s)
Fast-Burn Torpedo: Speed 15 VUs, 150'000km for 30m (83.3 kps)

they are not exactly slow, I can understand that a tank or a space marine, moving at a few km / h can penetrate an empty shield of a titan, but the torpedoes travel at thousands of km per second

Skywrath

Skywrath

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 947 posts
  • Faction: Grey Knights, Dark Angels

Basic physics would dictate that an energy shield has a charge to it, and the torpedoes have a system that could alter said charge towards the energy shield. So in accordance to what charge the shield was, the torpedo would change it's charge accordingly and pass through it with no problem, as if the shield wasn't there. So it's not a speed thing, it's a polarity thing.

7DtmK1a.pnge2ZWJbt.pngt44uaS0.pngIJKynoL.pngtFMKXdu.pngAhRNilX.png

armarnis

armarnis

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 176 posts
  • Faction: XXth Legion
In the second siege of terra book we see aircraft passing through void shields of the imperial palace which is protected by dark age of technology voids so i can easily see torpedos pass a starship void

MegaVolt87

MegaVolt87

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,457 posts
  • Faction: Iron Warriors

In the second siege of terra book we see aircraft passing through void shields of the imperial palace which is protected by dark age of technology voids so i can easily see torpedos pass a starship void

Yeah this, also I think it depends who is writing, sometimes they can't get through other times they can as the plot seems to dictate. 

gallery_154982_15362_23624.jpg

My Iron Warriors Project   Guns for the guns god!, Bullets for the Brass throne!

Lord_Caerolion

Lord_Caerolion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,199 posts
  • Faction: Sons of Sobek

Basic physics would dictate that an energy shield has a charge to it, and the torpedoes have a system that could alter said charge towards the energy shield. So in accordance to what charge the shield was, the torpedo would change it's charge accordingly and pass through it with no problem, as if the shield wasn't there. So it's not a speed thing, it's a polarity thing.

The problem is that if this were the case, then any macrocannon shells could be given similar abilities to pass straight through, but from what we've been shown this isn't the case.

"And then Horus landed on the Moon, which looked like the moon. Funny that, isn't it?"

You're hired.

tychobi

tychobi

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 601 posts
Space magic
  • Doghouse and Lord_Caerolion like this

Kill Maim Destroy

Darvell

Darvell

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 262 posts
  • Faction: A few... soon(tm)

The slow blade penetrates the shield.

• Alcyon, Dr. Clock, Interrogator-Chaplain Ezra and 11 others like this

Beren

Beren

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 993 posts

Consider the fact that while torpedoes and voidcraft may move at 30cm over the course of a round, lances and macro-cannons can pass  over longer distances 'instantly' in game terms. Speed is a relative thing. Space vessel void shields may even be calibrated differently to Titan ones.

• MetalMammoth likes this

Rik Lightstar

Rik Lightstar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,200 posts
  • Faction: Astral Claws, Mantis Warriors
In BFG torpedoes are still WAY slower than any of the other weapon systems, with them taking multiple turns to reach out to the target, the speeds are pretty much equivalent to those of fighters and bombers so this matches up with the concept of slow stuff passing through shields.

Rik
  • Spleenex and MetalMammoth like this

The Codex Astartes: Taking Away The Freedom Of The Astartes To Pigeonhole Themselves, 
And Restricting Them To Supreme Flexibility Since M31

GrinNfool

GrinNfool

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 337 posts

I'd imagine it like water, hit it at a slow speed and you slip right in, hit it at a high speed and its like hitting concrete.  Speed is relative, obviously so while we look at a torp and say wow thats fast, its not as fast as say a macro cannon.  Surface area and mass too would play a role too would guess.  I mean... in the end we are talking about a non existent technology in a non existent universe so... space magic works too.

• Redrandy93 likes this

Noserenda

Noserenda

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,122 posts
  • Faction: Scythes of the Emperor

Void shields are warp tech folks, i think talk of polarities and hell, even physics is going to be off piste :D 

Blindhamster

Blindhamster

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,910 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels
Fairly sure it's a speed thing. I'm sure the pilots that go through have to go at a very specific speed. And I swear they dont all pull it off either

Primaris Blood Angels: Wins 4 Draws 0 Losses 2

Blood Angels 3rd Company Wins 25 Draws 5 Losses 13

Heresy Blood Angels: Wins 4 Draws 0 Losses 2
Blood Angels 4th company: Wins 10 Draws 3 Losses 4

gallery_62972_10568_12006.jpggallery_14877_13354_6399.jpggallery_62972_14467_4048.jpg

Blood Angels Primaris Blog

Cactus

Cactus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,062 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels
Game balance for BFG. With their limited firing arc and time to reach the target would anybody use them if they bounced off shields?

Karhedron

Karhedron

++ RENASCITUR EX MORS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,523 posts
In Titandeath, there is a fairly detailed description of void shields functioning during a battle in space. Both energy and physical weapons are intercepted by the shields and so are vessels like boarding craft. During once sequence, fire is concentrated on one particular part of the ship to knock down void shields and allow boarding craft to get through and clamp onto the hull. The Tech Priests managed to repair shields before all the assault craft get through and the stragglers get splattered across the recharged void shields.

I suspect that different authors write things differently though as this is one of the areas where the fluff seems to be inconsistent.
Sanguinius stood up, stretching his wings to their full extent. He flexed his hands. "I need no blade".
It was as though Sanguinius gleamed with pale light, his face white, eyes becoming blood-red, surrounded by the golden crown of flowing hair. Guilliman had witnessed glimpses of of his brother's wrath before, but had never seen the true Blood Angel unleashed. Sanguinius surged forward on alabaster wings, half a meter from the floor, whiteness streaming from him like flames.

MARK0SIAN

MARK0SIAN

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,746 posts
As some have already mentioned it’s also down to the author. I’ve read 40k books which specifically describe the objective for ship gunnery officers to time the weapons fire so that everything arrives at the same time. So the torpedoes are launched first because they’re slower, then medium speed weapons then just before those two strike the lances are fired as they travel fastest. The idea being to collapse the shields so the torpedoes can get through.
  • MegaVolt87 likes this

gallery_86689_11936_21517.pngsml_gallery_48988_16053_22349.png

MegaVolt87

MegaVolt87

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,457 posts
  • Faction: Iron Warriors

As some have already mentioned it’s also down to the author. I’ve read 40k books which specifically describe the objective for ship gunnery officers to time the weapons fire so that everything arrives at the same time. So the torpedoes are launched first because they’re slower, then medium speed weapons then just before those two strike the lances are fired as they travel fastest. The idea being to collapse the shields so the torpedoes can get through.

Just to add, boarding craft are also have been known to fire first, followed by torps, then all the other stuff to enable boarding actions.
  • MARK0SIAN likes this
gallery_154982_15362_23624.jpg

My Iron Warriors Project   Guns for the guns god!, Bullets for the Brass throne!

Whitelion

Whitelion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 181 posts

but in no novel is there any talk of technology that enables torpedoes to cross void shields?

Lord_Caerolion

Lord_Caerolion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,199 posts
  • Faction: Sons of Sobek

Nothing has been specifically mentioned, no.

• Whitelion likes this

"And then Horus landed on the Moon, which looked like the moon. Funny that, isn't it?"

You're hired.

Felix Antipodes

Felix Antipodes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 729 posts
  • Faction: Fighting Furies
The first Dawn of Fire book makes it to be a speed thing. In it torpedos actually fire reto rockets to slow down enough to pass through a ships void shields. I seem to recall something similar in one of the SoT books as well.
  • Whitelion likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users