Silver Templar Tactics

Charlo

So the rules are in the wild now... What do people think?

If you want Ultras who are a bit choppier they seem pretty nice!

Quoting myself from the NRA:

Nice, solid and aggressive chapter if you wanna get close and hit things but not in the same way Black TemplarsWolves or BA  etc do.

Oh wait! Except the chapter tactic auto wounds like the BT Doctrine, the Stratagem gives them +1 to hit like Wolves (but only against Characters) - though you can do it with shooting too, and the Banner and other strat acts like BA's Tactic/ Doctrine for the most part with additional AP on top, so it's like Flesh Tearers too!

...AND you get a nice little to-hit buff to help out MSU/ big guns.

When combined with Ultra's super doctrine you get a very mobile and versatile army able to take on a lot of stuff in a mid-board melee.

Not to mention you get all of the Ultra's strats/ relics on top including:

• Any doctrine you like for one squad
  • Fall back, shoot and charge
  • Group Overwatch
  • Re-roll all hits for an Infantry unit
  • A further one-turn +1 attack from the Reliquary of Vengeance 

Honestly these guys are reeeeeeeaaallllyyy nice for a CC oriented flavour of Ultras.

But yeah, I think they fit 9th very well!

I don't know all the rules for this Chapter, but it does sound very good. 

If they can still disengage and shoot at -1, that's a huge plus that my White Scars never had (without using CP, limiting it to 1 time per phase).

If they auto wound on a 6 to hit in CC, that's okay.. not great, but helpful. The great thing is that's immediately effective! You're not waiting (like Scars) for T3 before you feel your stuff hitting harder in CC.

Getting the mini 'Expert Crafters' buff of re-rolling 1 to hit dice per phase is also quite good.

One relic that I like is the Armour on the Close combat HQ... very nice. 

They're decent CT rules as befitting their lore. MA is kinda broken, and while that also fits their lore, a tweaked version like this synergizes with the Duelist part of the CT.

I like the idea of how players who start a Silver Templars aren't doing it to power game. It would be nice if they have special rules for a named Character.