warhead01 - Primaris Blood Angels project

Warhead01

Update.

No pictures today. 
I did manage to build and get the paint started all 10 assault Intercessors are Death company this time around. Not worth taking a picture of as they are just primed black brushed a very dark grew and washed with a detail Smoke black by wicked colors. nothing overly interesting going on with them at this time. Oh, I did start the holsters and pouches just a dark brown base color on all of them and will be going back on all the other models so far painted and doing the same until all of that kind of kit are brownish - leather-ish in color. Small things like that from now on at this project starts the crawl to completion. 
Other than that I have pulled out the next three Out riders squad to build and hope to push those up to speed before the months end. 

My hobby spending is now very likely finished until next year as our TV/ my computer monitor died earlier than expected. Which is fine I do have a few more Primaris dudes I had earlier thought I would attempt tp sell that I am now very likely to paint, just because. I figure they should help with any future resale of this army....but I hope that's not going to be a thing. 

I wish I knew when the Heavy Intercessors were dropping so I could plan for them. I want at least one full squad.
I'm finding it a little funny to see how my wish list/shopping list is changing more and more. That is I want less and less of the new kits and am trying to make them compete for my money as  want so few. That's normal right?  

The slaughter continues.

Update.
No pictures till the weekend. That's the plan anyway. 

Working on the Judicator I did a few more image searches to see what other people were doing and see what I liked. I had thought to try something fancy but decided to go with black armour and red cloth. I am recycling a plastic chaplains head. I think it works. 

I'm also working on a Librarian that I had scratch built for my diy chapter from a LT. I found some extra bitz for him. I also found pictures to see the colors and he will be in blue armour. 

I had some irl stuff come up which has probably nixed my plans for buying more kits if I am smart. Car parts and my 40" tv/monitor up and died on my.  So we'll see. It looks like a wait for the Heavy intercessors anyway. either December or in the new year. I can wait. 

Oh, I also continued working on the terrain stuff I started a week or two ago. It will be slow going but that's for the best. I think these builds will be interesting on the table when they're done. Right now I am just finding things that I want to use and hot gluing some of them together to create parts to use in structures. Still need bases to put them on but I am keeping the base sizes in mind, should work out nicely. 

Update.
I put together all the Blood Angels I've been working on for a picture shoot.
Left out the death company out as they are really not worth looking at just yet.
I took several pictures which I will post in the morning.
Here's the sneak peek.

gallery_3442_16212_4660.jpg
I've got a lot done these last few months but none of this is done just yet at a minimum I need to base everything for it to feel table ready.
Plenty left to finish and a few more units I will probably repaint and add and a few other units still unbuilt.

This is quite a feat to paint so many models in such a short time-span! :thumbsup: 

By my count, I only completed about 68 models so far throughout the year. And no vehicles at that.

Well, yours look better than mine. :biggrin.: And thank you. 

I'm just trying to get to a table top standard and will keep working on them to raise the standards. 

I paint a lot and may have painted 300 model this year, I'm getting close if not but I don't think I've actually finished every model if you count the bases. 

Once all the leg work is done the rest will fly buy. I have almost a year to finish them now. 

I've spent the evening gluing more BA icons onto shoulder plates. 

Edited by Warhead01

Update.
I spent yesterday evening attaching more BA Icons to shoulders. I have 14 remaining and plan to order 1 more sheet. I never realized I had this many models for this project and still another 30 or 40 more. I might need 2 sheets just to be sure. 
My friend told be he hasn't forgotten about selling me the Executioner he'd just had a lot going on and has needed to find a box for it to ship. So I have that to look forward to.
I'm excited to try to get these models on the table and learn how to play 9th.

A little progress on the reaver squad.

gallery_3442_16212_47148.jpg

Trying to move to small batches for detail painting so that I can also move some of my IG units back to the table to work on.
The Reavers eyes are done now and I found a blue to highlight their skullheadfaces. I want to keep them dark. I think it works.

I'm watching an auction for a squad of Inceptors with plasma weapons. Hopefully I'll be able to get them, we'll see. Looking at that blast rule they seem very spicy. I really like that they are good at targeting more than one kind of unit.
If I don't manage to win I think I may still buy a squad of them next year.

Your crowd-shots are quite something, I got to make some of those myself :smile.:

Also, I believe Inceptors will eventually appear in one of the new SC boxes. Fists or Dark Angels if I were to venture a guess. 

I love those shots too.  Do it!!! 

I think I meant Inceptors and keep plopping in the wrong word. I did just see the Combat Patrol box picture for BA's and it's got every thing I need. I'll keep an eye out for the content of all of the boxes. I need so little at this point.  Which is a little weird I used to have several company sized collections of dark Angels over several editions and now I'm trying to be more minimalistic...and failing?  I keep saying this is my last army and keep finding one more thing.

While working on yet another army... :biggrin.:

I had put these models aside thinking I was ready to jump back into to my IG project but quickly found myself getting them back out. The update is that I have now textured all of the bases for all of the models in the pictures I posted before.  I had forgotten the flyer I have for them as well. it's the interceptor, I think that's what it is.  I'm planning to try to add the dark blue highlight to the death company next. The really need something other than just battle damage but we'll see what happens. Very irked that they seem to bland and boring to me right now. Have to do something about that. 
I'm planning a set of nasty browns for the bases and possibly another brown wash on the models as well and very possibly finishing them off with the air brush from the knees down to much them up a little and for the bases, nasty filthy ness from the bases up to their knees. It's a SNS trick from a few years ago. Looks good usually. 
One of the cats found a way to knock over the tray I have the tanks on and both were damaged in the fall but the only thing I haven't fixed yet is a bit of antenna which has gone missing. 
I may take this opportunity to change the weapons around on one of them. 

Picture update planned for on or about the 15th. 

Update.
Much good progress today!

med_gallery_3442_16212_234693.jpg

I spent some time looking around the 3d printed sites for this and thats and was surprised to find flesh eaters icons. If only I had found them a month ago.
I've just bookmarked stuff for later at this point.

I'm really happy with these Death company dudes. They were so dull before the red was added. I plan to do more and hope to add another color or 2, or 3.
I've started working on the weapons swap for the repulsor tank as well. Oh, and I found some bitz on Ebay I should get, assault bolter magazines I hope to get for the 10 left over Intercessors I haven't painted yet.

Update.
I've had no meaningful progress so far in the last few days. All I've managed to do is start to clip out another Reavers squad. This one with the bolt weapons.
Hope to have something worth showing or at the very least posting about by next week. Who knows, it's that time of year I guess.
I'm still thinking about the colors for the bases and I don't know but it will at some point come to me.

Just after posting it came to me, just use the colors I always use. I did a look around and found a few wonderful bases done by forum members and one set stuck out to me and I realized I use those colors... So I'll just do more or less what I always do.

med_gallery_3442_16212_146072.jpg
Now I have to find an appropriately nasty filthy wash to wash them with. something yellow green with a hint of brown and black. Toxic industrial flavors.

Edited by Warhead01

Update.
Bases are coming along. only 81 more to go at this point.
These are done with apple barrel craft paint in the following order. Base coat Burnt Umber, dry brushed Nutmeg Brown, Pewter Grey, Country Tan and Sargent Art - Golden Rod
The dry brush isn't overly dry. I may have enough paint on the brush for two bases but it is applied lightly. On some of the bases I picked out rocks of stone detail under a minis foot with Pewter grey prior to the first fry brush.

I'm going to try to match a pattern resembling the bases to any camo cloaks. Base color then dots. Hopefully it wont suck. I want to avoid hard lines and make a natural pattern if I can, almost a Flecktarn camo but in these colors. Having very few model with the camo should help make it less frustrating to paint.

med_gallery_3442_16212_122377.jpg

such a good hobby day!

Update.

My attempt at Flectarn pattern camo.
med_gallery_3442_16212_22700.jpg
It matches the bases, same colors. I think it looks good from at least 18" away so it should be killer on the table. Up close it's a little.....Spotty.
I'll add any additional colors needed once I sort out the washes doe the bases.
Right now I have 40 or 50 bases left to paint. so much progress today!
I wish the infiltrators had camo capes as well. Would have been neat.

Excellent work on the camo cloaks.

Thank you.

It wasn't all that easy. I almost feel like I needed a 5th color to make it work better. Some of the dots came out way too large at first. I was actually thinking of the WW2 German dot camo but couldn't remember what it was called and failed to search for it after finding the flectarn pattern. 

there's a particular way to put on the dots that would have made it work a little better but I do like what I ended up with. I hope to do more camo like this on some of my IG in the future. 

I think the last time I attempted the German camo was 8 or 9 years ago.  

Update. 

All of the bases are the same level of doneness now! The army almost looked like it's finished if you don't look very closely. I'm planning another set of whole collection pictures in the not too distant future. 

I need to get some blue tack to get the flying dudes up on their stands for this next round of pictures. 

Looking at my left overs I think i can add another 25 models to this army before the end of this year with out having to order anything but I am planning to order a Gladiator reaper and have though about 3 Hammerfall bunkers... because I don't expect anyone will ever do that and they have the potential to wreck my good friends nerves when he's playing his Am infantry army.  

Nice work on the camo! Designing a convincing one from scratch is not an easy thing.

Looking at your water cup, I see some resemblance :teehee: 

I think you might still do several things to improve it: 
- use 2 colours a base painted in diagonal, uneven broad stripes.

- use a little less white dots and place them in groups of 2s and 3s

- make sure white dots (or their groups) do not form squares and rectangles. Uneven triangles might work best. This is because human eye always looks for rhythm and secondly, horizontal and vertical lines very rarely exist in nature, so if anything creates those, it immediately draws attention.

- might try washing ready cloaks with either Agrax or whatever you are using as the darkest or almost the darkest tone for your bases.

BTW, you were probably looking for ERBSENMUSTERN or "pea pattern".

Nice work on the camo! Designing a convincing one from scratch is not an easy thing.

Looking at your water cup, I see some resemblance :teehee: 

I think you might still do several things to improve it: 

- use 2 colours a base painted in diagonal, uneven broad stripes.

- use a little less white dots and place them in groups of 2s and 3s

- make sure white dots (or their groups) do not form squares and rectangles. Uneven triangles might work best. This is because human eye always looks for rhythm and secondly, horizontal and vertical lines very rarely exist in nature, so if anything creates those, it immediately draws attention.

- might try washing ready cloaks with either Agrax or whatever you are using as the darkest or almost the darkest tone for your bases.

BTW, you were probably looking for ERBSENMUSTERN or "pea pattern".

Ya got me! lol

That was exactly the one I remembered! 

Yes I agree I think dividing the cloak  with two colors that are then only used again on the opposite colors was what I wanted to do but didn't get right. tricky stuff. 

I hope to try to spot wash in a few areas to deepen the colors there. I did think it was too much tan at first and went back in with more rust and brown. These in the picture are a large improvement from where I was when I thought I was finished the first time. I think the washes will help. 

Very glad you like them so far. 

81 bases to do?

wow not sure how you do that, I need to break everything up to keep sane!

I had all day. So I started with 3 of a kind then 6 of a kind then worked through each squad of 10. the dark brown base coat was done a few days ago so this was just drybrush and wait a little between colors. We finished the return of the king yesterday and then I had the D&D game until late. I'm using a large drybrush as well it's more than 1/2" wide and there were a lot of 40MM bases in the beginning. Speeds things up a little. I think all of the bases took me 3 sittings to complete over 3 days. Yesterday was the marathon.  

My hands are not happy with me now and I don't plan to paint for a day maybe two. 

Or... Sanity is for the weak! 

Group pictures in a few days after the rain goes away. 

Update. 
To my surprise I was able to take pictures today. It took me almost an hour to set up because I had to fight with my glue bottle to attach all the flight stands. I'll need a new bottle of glue now. I also noticed that I missed 14 bases the other days. I'll get to those in the not too distant future. 
And if that wasn't enough I just found 3 bottles of pigment that I've had sitting around unopened for a few years, gifts from a good friend. That's a Vallejo dark red and Mig Zombie Green and Rocket Exhaust. I've just started looking at tutorials on how to use these.  I think I'll use them instead of the heavy washes over the bases I had planned to use before, unless I can see a way to do both. 

Looking at the pre orders for next month I'm only looking at the dice, cards and the gladiator to start with. But the rest isn't going to have to wait.