warhead01 - Primaris Blood Angels project

Warhead01

Update.

Sunday was ridiculously productive!

My back log of unbuilt Primaris is down to 1 LT and 3 Outriders. I build 18 dudes yesterday some how and primed all but the last 5. 

The red on the Gladiator is done just have to put on the other colors now and do the basing for it and the Impulsor and boom "table ready". 
The Librarian has it's blue on now but I will try to take my time with him, Heroes get the most attention, no rushing through it. 
After this is just the pile of repaints I have to do 14/15 hell blasters and a few more Intercessors. 

I think most of this will keep me "employed" for a few weeks. I'm expecting an order invoice for some other preordered boxes any day now and I am waiting to balance the books before I order anything else.  

I've also started to round up my left over bitz, maybe I'll do something with them? 
Unless it happens sooner I plan to post another round of pictures on or about the 15th. At least some wip or finished stuff but not a huge army picture for a little while, that said I am planning another full army spread in a few months. (The second hundred days?) 

I'm expecting a call from my friend, from the battle report thing, some time this week. He's a fiend and needs his warhammer fix. I'm looking forward to passing on some thoughts and setting up our next game, one I hope to have enough time to play all the way to the end.  

My further plans are to build and play only a 1500 or 2000 point list all summer and become proficient with it to set me up for October, should we have out club tournament. Well, it's a thought anyway.  

The slaughter continues.

About my last game. Form the battle report above a few posts.
My friend called yesterday and I did bring up the terrain issue but I am not really sure if I made my point. His counter was understandable, we had 2 hours to get the whole game played and he figured it would take much much longer with more layers of rules and terrain. A fair enough point I'm still in the crawl phase of 9th edition. 
Talking about where the game ended he seemed to think that in the next turn he would be on the ropes but still had some moves to recover. I figured I'd start to grind him down in the next turn.  Here's the thing still on my mind. I have no idea what the score was when we called it and I think if it was low for both of us, regardless of the winner, the score would have remained low. But I can't say for sure. 
realizing the tables are smaller now I will try to remember to use that space to open to the page of the mission, I would usually have done this but after so many months away I am still drifting through games and not being as pro active as I should. 

Update. 
Still good progress nothing fantastic yet. I am pushing through my reds still all assembly is done. I had trouble again with one of the outriders. That front end covering again not going together correctly. Yuck. 
But I did find another LT left over from the previous boxed set (8th) the one with the autto bolter and pistol! I had been looking for just this guy and surprise there he was. 
One plan I have in mind is to try to use my LT's and more effectively walking along with Hellblasters or Aggressors for that buff, you know basic marine stuff. I may even paint the Captain with the Autto bolter as well. Just because.  The big thing is I don't want a stationary castle. 
Along with that I am trying to plan my next list to be more effective each turn as the doctrine changes. Structuring my army to stack how many units will benefit from tactical over 2 or 3 turns to really unleash hell before the assault kicks in and being able to fall back on the strat as needed for the doctrine. (Adaptive Strategy ) 

I was looking at the strike fire turrets again and am still holding off. honestly the Suppressors bring 3 more shots per 90 points spent but aren't BS 2+. However, they move. Maybe I'll pick up 3 more Suppressors this year. Could be good. 
I'm thinking about that second Gladiator, everything counts in large amount but it's tanks. 

Not much of an Update.

Painting continues but almost none today. Putting the black paint on and only a few models left for that, might get to it tonight. We'll see. 
The outriders are half way through their red paint treatments but I am focusing on the Infantry models for not and trying to push through. It looks like these will be my last BA's for a little while as the kits for my IG project that I have been waiting on arrived. Shooting to have all of these models table ready by end of next week or there about. 

Update.

some progress. 
All of the bases for these models are not textured! I have eyes to dot this week and the Outriders are the furthest behind right now second only to the DC Intercessors who are only primed black. the DC are my next goal, I just need to pull one of the ones I have already painted to match. And speaking of matching. My reds this time around seem a bit darker, not sure where I've gone wrong but oh well.  Other than that as soon as these near the end I'll also finish up the Gladiator. 

The slaughter continues. 

Update!

Things have gone very well. I'm painting the bases for this batch now and just have the Gladiator and Librarian left to spiffy up!
Sadly, it looks like we may be in for a week f rain so as far as quality pictures go I will do what I can. Good news is it's not a huge number of models, unlike before. 

All of this "being done" still leaves 10 Intercessors and about 15 hell blasters to finish up. I am set on selling the remaining 5 push together assault Intercessors but who knows. At anyway they are not currently part of my plans. 

I just found the storm speeders at a reasonable discount but had just before placed another online order for other things tapping into what I feel I can spend at this time.

It's not really a problem but I am a little guilty of borrowing against some other money I know I will be getting... and that's just not a good thing to do. 
So, next month as long as things go the way they are I think I may get two storm speeders. 
I'm hopeful to line up a trade for 6 Inceptors from a friend of a friend, I have a lot of extra other modes I can try to throw his way if he can make it happen. 
Failing that I hope people are parting out the DA's combat patrol boxes in a month or two. Heck if there's a price drop maybe I will. We'll see.  
I'm planning to get another game at the end of this month but if it's rain all next week I may be out for a game ahead of schedule.

I'm working on a different kind of list for next game.  Nothing bonkers, still fairly basic stuff. I'm planning to bring both units of Out riders, the gladiator, squad of DC and the Reivers. 
And whet ever else after that. This time around I am banking on using the doctrines and not throwing good units away. 

I'm still tempted to add my dot camo pattern to my Infiltrators and Incursors. 

Update.

Looks like I made it! All those new models are Battle ready and some of them don't look half bad either. 
I took a few pictures from my cluttered table but then need to be cropped and shrunk for posting. I just need a clear day to get good pictures outside. Those seem to turn out the best so I think it will be worth the wait. 
Still, Battle ready is nice and there's still room to come back and jazz up all of these models. 

All that's left is about 20 Primaris left over to repaint but I am setting all of this aside to get to work on my IG project for a week or two.

I'm still planning to attempt to get out for another game as mentioned.  I guess it's time to start putting my list together for October so I can learn how to play it over the next six and a half months.

Pictures soon! 

I agree with Alcyon on the black. Executioner's silver barrel looks kinda odd in comparison, but perhaps it's due to the harsh light. 

You might be right. I hadn't noticed so I hadn't thought about it. 

I could paint it black or a very dark grey if that would work better. Or would red be better ? 

The black touches really add a cool x-factor that makes the force a bit unique. I love the amount of Phobos too. Looks awesome all together, nice work!

I'm not a big fan of Phobos really but I ended up with a bunch of it when this project was taking off, no reason not to use it.  I'm excitedly waiting on the Heavy intercessors. 

The black touches really add a cool x-factor that makes the force a bit unique. I love the amount of Phobos too. Looks awesome all together, nice work!

Edited by Warhead01

You might be right. I hadn't noticed so I hadn't thought about it.

I could paint it black or a very dark grey if that would work better. Or would red be better ?

Grey or black both seem like a reasonable choice. I think I will go with black barrel and yellow tip once I get to painting mine.

Good news! my order of BA chapter badges from pop goes the monkey have arrived! Shipping seemed a little higher than I had expected but they arrived 2 days earlier than expected. 
I wish I had ordered some other badges, i need blood drops for the company markings and some other badges for squad markings.  Maybe next month I can make that happen. 

Looks like I have a game set for Monday afternoon. I'll set up my list today and get it packed up. I have an idea as mentioned some posts ago. 
I'll just have to do a small amount of painting and glue on some chapter badges as well. loads of time. 

So, here goes nothing.

2000 points. 

Battalion Detachment
Captain/ Gravis 115

P. Librarian 95

Intercessor squad 5 models X 3 squads

Gladiator Valiant 255

Repulsor 330

Impulsor 125

Outrider detachment

P. LT. Phobos

Reivers squad 5 models 2 squads

Suppressors squad 3 models 2 squads * notes below/ edit 2 

Outriders squad 3 models 2 squads

Just about there, need to try to tighten it up a bit more maybe. 
The plan is to float bot and sting like an automatic stinging machine. 
a few squads get to ride around and some drop in from off the table. Try to score objectives and shred chaff. I have the valiant and Repulsor to hit the knights and start to take their legs out from under them. Feel like this list is missing something like a heavy hitter in close combat but will rely on the chain swords on the outriders to finish things off as best I can and the Captains gauntlets as needed, if the power sword won't do the job. Hope deliver "death by 1000 paper cuts". 

Opposing force - expecting AM, maybe some scions  and Knights. 

Edit 1
starting to look like 2 detachments isn't really as useful as I had thought.  Can drip a suppressor squad as stick it all into the Battalion rethinking the 100 point refund and now captain, maybe trade him for a Librarian in Phobos net 115  add maybe another 5 Intercessors or something. 

Edit 2

thinking to add a Chaplin and 3 agl's,100 points.
More of a heavy hitter and more chaff clearing.  

Edit 3

2000 points. 

Battalion Detachment
 P Chaplin 85

P. Librarian 95

P. LT. 75

Intercessor squad 5 models X 3 squads

Gladiator Valiant 255

Repulsor 330

Impulsor 125

Death Company assault bolters, AGL 1 powerfist 135

Reivers squad 5 models 2 squads

Suppressors squad 3 models 

Outriders squad 3 models 2 squads

Almost the same. Proxying the knife DC guy as a power fist or not. 

Assault bolter LT as well.

The Chaplin gets the relic - Benediction of fury and the WLT The Imperium's sword. Mantra of Strength. 
Librarian gets might of heroes and I guess Veil of time.

Not the most creative but that is a handful of buffs for the Chaplin. Just have to get him stuck in and the rest will take care of it self. 
As an alt I could switch the DC for BGV. Not sure which I like better at this point for tomorrow, may flip a coin for it. Can also alt for the Shield LT. in the swap.

Edit 4
somewhere in this list I had enough points for the Primaris Chaplin on bike. I may have to buy one now. 
everything old is new again Hero hammer seems to be back. 

Edited by Warhead01

Oh for sure. Thankfully he didn't play a ruthless list today.

We managed all 5 turns today and I feel like I am starting to actually know what's going on more this time around. The Chaplin was amazing but not about to do much of anything until turn 4 and 5. He's a slayer for sure when he's all jacked up on the jump juice! Sadly he died on turn 5 leaving the Knights warlord on a single wound. 

I had trouble with the primary objective and had a lot of trouble keeping enough objectives. 
I took a lot of pictures and will attempt a battel report this week. 

The Gladiator didn't quite work out as I had hoped it would but I do think I will try it again. 
The Intercessor DC seemed over all pointless and didn't do much other than kill conscripts before getting gunned down. 
There's a fair bit I need to unpack to get a write up put together. I did enjoy the game.

Edited by Warhead01

I think this is as good as it's going to get.

Resized952021022395142459.jpg

Game 3.

The table felt really small this time. I have a lot to think about after this last game. 
I'm actively looking for a Chaplin on bike now. :unsure.:

Gurilla tactics seemed to really bother my opponent!

Which was kinda amusing if nothing else. 

I'm rethinking the Gladiator but not so much that I don't want to use it again. all I can do is try again and learn from my mistakes. Briefly I had thought the Lancer would have ben a better choice.  

Oooops. 
I just noticed that I did something wrong during that game. I played Guerilla Tactics wrong on the lone Reiver sgt in close combat. 
I'll get it right next time. 

Edited by Warhead01

I've found the one large mistake from my third game so fat and this morning looking at the terrain rules I remembered this. 

to partly illustrate what I'm going to say. 

20210222_143918.jpg

The big knight was behind this large tetralin feature. (The big Orange one.)
I had moved my Repulsor and could draw Los to his shoulder but for some reason told I couldn't target him because of the terrain. (The Repulsor in the bottom right of the picture.)
Looking at Obscuring terrain it mentions models having more than, I want to say, 18 wounds open to being targeted. Obscuring terrain being at least 5" tall. 
I couldn't find anything about larger terrain features .

At the time I had planned to double team the big Knight with both the Repulsor and the Gladiator valiant. that's 12 anti-tank weapons, should do the trick I thought. 

So, did my opponent play it wrong? I'm not accusing my opponent of cheating me. It could have been an actual mistake.

Or my good friend felt his butt pucker and fibbed to me.  :teehee: 

I'm starting to look at the terrain rules a bit more in-depth I need to draw up some q-cards so I can build my own terrain for the house and have it actually work with 9th. 

My good friend called yesterday asking me about any list changes I might like to try and if I've thought of things I might have dome better. He recommended I proxy my Inceptors for the plasma weapons. I just might do that. 
I'm also thinking about moving to one squad of Reivers 7 models strong to get a 60 point refund, may need those for the Inceptors. I also think I need that Phobos LT for table quarter scoring, especially if I go second as I can do that as a late game turn 5 "power move" :whistling: 

He loved the Chaplin too. He used to that sort of thing with a killy Chaplin back in 3rd and 4th. Like a Chaplin with a thunder hammer as I remember it. Such a mean dude as I remember it. 

Thanks for the input on that. 
I'm not going to stress of it I think we just kinda winged it on the terrain rules and I am sure I am the reason for that. But I do want to more more towards the RAW and all that for proper play. I'm still in my baby steps in 9th.

Update. 
Lucky me I found 2 boxes of Inceptors and a Chaplin on bike at a fair price and ordered. sadly I just realized I only bough 7 miniatures for over 150 dollars.  
Yikes.  This is the part I don't like about starting a new army, joining the arms race. Oh well. 
Plasma all around!
So, what's the preferred way to field Inceptors? 1 squad of 6 or two squads of 3? 
Should I go all in for 12 more?  Pleas say no. - that whole bit was a joke. 

Update.
The arms race continues. the Chaplin on bike has arrived along with the Inceptors squad - 7 models to build. 
I found these right at the end on last month and everything arrived early the inceptors arrived 5 days earlier than expected. 

Update.

Finally! The Inceptors are built and nearly primed. I plan to finish that today and start the painting this evening. 

I've been slaving away in my workshop building terrain for my table. It's a real horror show right now. I'm aiming for a Inq 28 theme, which is not too far off from Necromunda. I've lots of ideas but not for sure how this will turn out. I hope that I can use most of this madness for 40K games with out too much of house rulings to get it to work.  
I started this early last week and am up to between 10 and 13 terrain features, depending on what I do in the end with some of them. I may buy a Manufactorum Vertigus  set from ebay as well.  The ruins do look to be a huge improvement over what they used to be and most of this most modern 40K terrain looks way better than the pervious round of plastic city fight sector stuff from  years ago, 5th edition timeline.

what worries me about DIY terrain for 9th is rules interpretations and making sure that it is very clear what everything on the board is and the interactions. So I've actually been struggeling with building my own terrain again instead of just throwing money at GW plastic terrain. But I think I may just make some kind of cards to annotate the intent and make enough for every terrain feature. No one likes a "surprise it doesn't work that way" mid game.  

Other than that, as if that wasn't enough, I've realized I may be struggling with keeping my Intercessors alive. It could be a case of still not enough terrain or my opponents op fire power AP-ing them out or just me. So it's something I will be paying more attention to in my next game later this month. 
Seeing the Heavy Intercessors on ebay has got me wondering if I've got it all wrong about them and leaving them in the back field is actually the right thing to do with them, just to keep those objectives, deployment zones and table quarters occupied, but I keep thinking there's a better way to go about that. 

Update.

Finally some good progress on the Inceptors. I've had almost two weird weeks and haven't put much time in to painting so it's felt like nothing was happening. 
Just starting the black areas and metallic after. I need to look around to find my plasma colors. 
No progress on the Chaplin on bike yet. 

I sold my AoS army to a good friend, we did that on Tuesday. And I've just ordered 2 storm speeders and Mephiston. Briefly I was going to go on a spending spree. It's for the best that I don't.:sweat: 

Other than that I have managed to put the texture on some of my terrain yesterday and hope to get that painted very soon.  I found a way to build ruins that look about right and I think these will work out very well. I had made a large section of ruined walls in two parts, like a front wall and part of a side wall then a back wall and part of a side wall. these were mounted on two bases to be set together for a large ruined building but having given it more though I broke that down into three smaller sections and mounted that on smaller bases and am going to make at least 3 more and then maybe something more later. I've been watching a lot of tutorials on line and am thinking about the box method hills to add elevations.  Those will take just an after noon to construct.
My next terrain material I need is a finer grit sand. I bought pavers sand but some of it is a bit too large. I'll look for a bag of playground/sand box sand today. but the variety between the two will be good for models and terrain.

Pictures in the not too distant future on or about the 15th for sure. 

The slaughter continues.

Edited by Warhead01

Not a lot of progress but I will be painting tonight and may be on track to finish the Inceptors or get really close, excluding bases. 

I've spent even more time and energy on terrain and have a little bit of wip to show for it. 
Terrain posting.

8 bits of ruins so far and I am very much considering a few more. I mounted these on smaller bases than I had at first planned but I feel this is a smarter choice and will create a little more playability as they can be matched up to form large areas of ruins or sever smaller areas. I am considering a very large ruin on a full sized clip board base, possibly two or three of them, which will work much in the same way as the smaller ones but be much taller. I  have cur foam already for the elevated floors in these, from the pictures. the tallest being 3 levels up. I'm thinking that my large ones should be 4 or 5 levels tall. at their tallest. I'm not thrilled with my industrial terrain just yet and need to rethink what I've done, yet again.  More thought is needed and I like the modular build of the ruins and doing the same for the industrial stuff may make it even better. 

Tracking on the storm speeders is unreliable so far as at one point they were suppose to arrive today. Not a big issue really. They will at some point in the near future arrive. 
I'd be happy to finish the models I am working on before I get a back log again. 

Be just and fear not!