warhead01 - Primaris Blood Angels project

Warhead01

Update.

Finally some pictures. wip Inceptors and Chaplin.

gallery_3442_16212_6138.jpg

med_gallery_3442_16212_78885.jpg

Looks like I misses a large mold line. Oh well I guess.
Still have to finish the bases and plop on the Chapter icons. and touchups.
The Chaplin was only started last night two layers of gold so far. and a base for the bone colored mask.
I should spend a fair bit of time on the Chaplin because he is a hero after all.

I found the new Captian with heavy rifle on ebay for what I think is the lowest price I've seen yet and scooped him up yesterday. I'm content to wait until May or June for the heavy Intercessors. I have 3 more kits in rout, make that 4. and should try to fins another Imperial Guard unit between when those are done and May/June.
These 7 models have been slow because I have been working on terrain. I'm starting a very large building next and may continue to build the small ruins after that. The Industrial terrain I've made just isn't working yet and so I've torn some of it apart. it's just part of the process I guess.

The slaughter continues.

Looks like I misses a large mold line. Oh well I guess. 

Not one at that ;) Wit those, you can always scrape and repaint or try to maks it with battle damage and decals. Battle damage (especially black/very dark spots with highlight colour underlining are a great way to distract the eye and hide such things in plain sight :D

I'm waiting for 2 Priah Nexus boxes to be released by the customs :( Already a week overdue. When I get them, I'm gonna have 2 Captains then and more importantly - a full squad of heavies to finish off my Battle Company.

I'll clean them up at some point. Not today or anytime soon though. :teehee:
I couldn't even consider that Killteam game. I do want those models but parting with anything I don't want is a bother I am not interested in. Though I would like to play kill team again.

Looks like I will have a few commissions this year possibly starting this month some time. Should be fun I haven't painted a blood bowl team in a long time and it looks to be two teams visiting my table. And on top of that I now have a back log of 3 more models still in the box which arrived today.

My Incepros are more or less table ready now.

med_gallery_3442_16212_3068.jpg

And my terrain is coming along nicely so far. Much better than I had expected.

Update.

My two storm speeder kits arrived this week. I have only this evening had time to open one up to look at it. 
First thing of note is in the instructions. and I may have missed this on previous Nu-Marine kits, they note some parts should be painted before assembly. Kinda a no brainer but it would have been clever of me to have come to that same conclusion many years ago. some of my land speeders ma not have looked as bad as they did but I always found that a difficult kit anyway. 

I've clipped off Mephiston and cleaned the flash but set the parts aside in a bag for later. 
No clear direction right now and I'm not going to worry about it. I'll paint or build something. still have the Chaplin to finish.
I've got until the end of this month for my BA's I'd like to try to get something going for my IG next month and have a few commissions in the works, as I probably mentioned. 

Terrain has taken a lot of my energy, I've needed to get that taken care of for a long time now. 
I bough more craft pain and terrain material today, even some gesso to try out on some fabric for a game mat. 

First thing of note is in the instructions. and I may have missed this on previous Nu-Marine kits, they note some parts should be painted before assembly. Kinda a no brainer but it would have been clever of me to have come to that same conclusion many years ago. some of my land speeders ma not have looked as bad as they did but I always found that a difficult kit anyway. 

I think new big kits have those type of suggestion. Repulsor's instructions definitely have this as well.

I think new big kits have those type of suggestion. Repulsor's instructions definitely have this as well.

I guess I just never noticed. 

The new Captain arrived and I'm starting base coats now. Just occurred to me that having two would have let me put one into the Death Company colors, just in case.

Nearly no painting at all last week. I spent the ween focused on terrain building. I've made enough now that I can start to pick the best bits to keep and figure out recycling some I like a little less. I think I am up to 15 terrain pieces now. I'd started a really big one but decided to scrap it as it was just too big or at least not very well thought out. 

Hopefully I'll get some models built this week if not painted, only 3 to go . 

I went looking for blood drops for the company markings but what I've seen comes in a way that I feel like I am getting a lot that I'll never use. seems to come with 3 different drops two of which are curved and not straight. I might buy those any way. Maybe I can put what I've not used on Ebay or trade them away. I did think I might make a press mold but that's more work than I really want to do.  I'm sure I'll figure it out at some point. 

No games scheduled for the end of this month just yet but I'll put the feelers out and see what happens. 

Just a little time to paint, haven't felt motivated for a week now.
Not sure I like the cap colors just yet. I'm going to try to darken it down and if that doesn't do it for me paint it white.

med_gallery_3442_16212_268029.jpg med_gallery_3442_16212_62848.jpg

I had a little trouble with the assembly, the left leg probably needs to connect to the front before being put with the back, I put the leg in first. That was likely wrong.
The gold is turning out still a lot to do on this one. No progress on the Chaplin on bike.

I've started to think about selling this project off because I have a lot of mixed feelings about 9th and this army exists only to play 9th, not sure if a 9th ed codex is backwards compatible with 8th or not. I may try out some open play games using points instead of matched play which just isn't doing it for me. I really miss Maelstrom of war games. I'm not into the feel of itc in 40K at all. And that's what this is starting to really feel like to me.

Who knows.

Only 4 models left to sort out after this Captain.

From experience, you want to got dark with your purple. What you have now, hit it with some Nuln Oil. 1 coat may work but 2 will darken it a bunch. Once that is done, you can layer the folds up with the original purple and then edge highlight up from there. That should leave your reds nice an vibrant while the purple will only accent rather than dominate.

Pretty sure most units in a 9th ed codex can fit into 8th ed in one form or other, whether as direct units or as counts as/equivalents (blade guard as vanguard vets for example, firestrike turret as a tarantula). So just pick the models you like the look of.

Thank you both for the thoughts on the purple. I ended up darkening it down with a dark blue and about 5 drops of Warlock purple. then washed it down to the darker purple with the dark blue put on very thin. Such an improvement! 

Pretty sure most units in a 9th ed codex can fit into 8th ed in one form or other, whether as direct units or as counts as/equivalents (blade guard as vanguard vets for example, firestrike turret as a tarantula). So just pick the models you like the look of.

Ya, I sorta meant playing the codex units as what they actually are but with 8th. Good idea though. I think I will try to move away from Match Play missions as much as I can to get that itc taste out of my games. I just don't know what my usually opponent, who is always and forever getting ready for that next tournament, will think about that. 
I truly wish I could get a group together to play more than just the current editions. 

You could suggest alternating between a more tournament-based game and then a narrative or open game the next time, or just play the army you fancy against his tournament one (he gets surprise units/combos that he might not have thought about to deal with while you get to use units differently to 'the meta says do this...'). Having played against a 2k Ork Army with precisely 3 Orks in it was a surprise and completely different tactics required. You might decide to drop a full company of 100 marines on the board and go power armour horde or similar...

Update.

The new Captain is more or less table ready. some cleanup still to do but over all table ready.
gallery_3442_16212_698897.jpg

I nearly painted him in gold armour, almost wish I had done that.

Continuing the subject of me and 9th,
My friend called to chat about his recent practice games and he told me I was right again and has changed his play which has seemed to win him games.
I almost feel like I'm part a race team some times. It's a little funny to me. He tells me two of the last players quit after determining they couldn't win going into turn 3.
He's disappointed by that. I don't under stand a system that seems to accept win or quit. Granted that's more of a player attitude.
Apparently our last game reminded him of playing against me back in 5th. I recall trashing his Harlequins with my dark Angels playing in the 2000 to 2500 point range. Those DA's were over pointed as I remember it. Hopefully I'll be able to get a game next month, if not then then May for sure.

always more to do.

Thank you for the heads up on that. I'll be on the lookout for it I don't know if I'll be able to find the WD or not, haven't tried to look yet. I found a lengthy article to read about it. Goonhammer I think it is.

I will keep an eye out for the Maelstrom of war for 9th, if it goes into full production I'll likely buy two sets of cards.
I need to read up on crusade as well. I've heard people like it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Update.

almost finished with the first Storm Speeder. no motivation to open the second one right now. that could change. who knows. didn't really enjoy working on this one. Pictures around the 15th. the Biker Chaplin as well. If I get him finished. I'm just not feeling like painting models. Terrain had been holding my attention a bit more. 

The last two goat kids go off to their homes at the end of this week and I am looking to get out for a game, as soon as I am able, before the end of this month. 
Either taking the Blood Angels or the Orks out for a spin. Wish I had time for both. 
I will be working on my IG project and then a few commissions starting  later this week and until complete some time in May or June depending on when one of the projects turns up.  I plan to follow that up with those Heavy Intercessors and who knows what else. 

Pictures soon.

Update.

I've had stuff going on and the weather hasn't been good for pictures. This week isn't looking dry enough as far as I know for outdoor pictures either but we'll see. 
I've called it quits on the Storm Speeder and the Bike Chaplin and have started Mephiston. The build didn't go well, no idea what I did wrong but I'll give the painting my best. 
I've glued his head to the edge of a 25MM base so I can get to his face more easily and I'm trying to give him white blond hair. I keep seeing it in yellow and it never looks right to me. 
I'm using the box are for a direct reference so we'll see how hat goes. 
Pictures when I can. 

Tackling Mephy is an achievement in itself :thumbsup:

It was a little weird. this is the second model I've had to struggle with during the build. I have to start to remember to dry fit everything now. I'm mostly disappointed with his face and the position of his head as I clipped the pin bit off  in frustration, again should have done that dry fit ahead of time. His head just didn't seem to want to fit inside that high collar. I thought his hair was the problem at the time. Some time from now I may pop off his right arm and his head and green stuff a bit of neck for him to fix the head position. Not any time soon though. 

The rest of the model painted up very well I think. Well enough anyway. 

Update.

Here's a link to the blog post full of pictures.

20210422_123331.jpg

I have 1 more Storm Speeder still in the box to get to at some point. My collection is coming to halt if not an end in a month to three. 

I'm not really in love with 9th edition so this may be my only army for 9th. I have about 26 other models I could add but may just part wit them. This collection is so much lager than I ever expected it would be.  9th is kinda weird though I'd like to add more of a few units but points realistically don't allow for such additions to be meaningful, why add redundancy when those extra units will just sit in a box and not see the table.  I do like needing less models even if it conflicts with my addiction to plastic.