warhead01 - Primaris Blood Angels project

Warhead01

Competitive might bias his terrain placement and selection - unconsciously or consciously. He may choose a set-up that works for his army as he thinks it looks like a good set-up and not necessarily realise that it hamstrings any other army style. You could always point out that stacking the odds in his favour won't help him at a tournament with better/fairer terrain and he'd be better practicing with more terrain than less. Practice hard/play easy...

I can only repeat myself. Maybe you two read this article together: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/06/29/metawatch-warhammer-40000-building-beautiful-balanced-battlefields-for-grand-tournament-play/

That are four massive LOS blocking pieces in the middle of the board. Also the first floor is supposed to have solid walls, so your cc units can easily sneak in range. This setup was a massive game changer for our gaming group as often my friends too were biased towards less terrain that looks like swiss cheese. Though it doesn't help that the official GW ruins don't have that many solid walls at all.

Edited by Rhavien

@ Rhavien Yes, that was the article I sent my friend. I need to get bases cut so I can make that "exact" set of terrain to take out of the house. (Clearly wont be exact because I build my own terrain but I'll get as close as I can.

This was the table.

med_gallery_3442_16212_86504.jpg

I hid my little army as best I could but I had expected we'd have had more terrain on the table after our last game or I would have fielded something different, like 2 Repulsors, more fire power and staying power. Wonder fit can fit all three of them in a list as a back up plan.

That table is nasty. 

Tabletop titans have probably the best single video on terrain which I would recommend for anyone.  Also I would suggest the WTC pack for a bit more of a guideline on table set-up for 9th.

I always recommend to have your largest bit of scenery towards the centre of the table. Also make sure that you can't see more than 10-20% of the opponents DZ from any point in your own and vice versa.  Also put a model at any point on the table and make sure it can't see it all.  No one model should be able to see the majority of the battlefield.  These are my own rules of thumb so to speak when it comes to setting up a table.

Hope this helps.

I kinda understand the way the terrain is setup on this table - it's a common thing for beginner player to try to "fortify" starting positions with terrain. This gives a sense of security. False one obviously, as in reality the game is about clashing in the middle. Be it objective holding, close quarters combat or shooting. It gets so much more interesting when there are obstacles in that middle area that forces you to move around more to get angles.

Thanks to all the very helpful replies. I found and downloaded the Tabletop titans video this morning. It's funny, everything old is new again with 40K. 
 I'll scour the internet for terrain ideas and build a whole set I can take off to the shops. I partly think the shop terrain, though they do have quite a bit, just isn't exactly up to snuff. I don't really know for sure. I've been making terrain for almost 20 years I just need to get a grip on the what. I'll color code it and make a sheet with pictures so we can see all the like items with the same terrain rules. I liked that the GT terrain had a key code with the features and all the relevant rules to expect. I should be able to do all of this near the end of September till the end of the year it'll only take a few weeks to build and paint but I need to get my reference pictures and a known quantity of each type of terrain before hand. 

This whole discussion has been extremely helpful. If I have it in me I may make two sets that are very close to the same so I can give one to my friend. 
I was building terrain earlier this year but made too much and looking back I can see some changes I want to make.  

Oh, so one rule from the video that immediately jumped out at me was the obscuring rule and how we go it wrong during the game. I had 3 vehicles tow in, as seen in the picture I hared above, and never realized that stripped them of the los block from the 5" tall terrain. So ya, good to know.  I'm also thinking about the terrain footprint and how to base ruins so it's playable but also not going to tip over. I have an idea or two I think will serve. 

I'm really excited to get this sorted.  

When I get this under way I'll defiantly update here and ask your collective opinions. 

Edited by Warhead01

• 2 weeks later...

Update.

I'm about half way "done" building and painting my Primaris Sanguinor conversion. I may have a small bit of repainting to do but need to wait until it's all assembled to know for sure how to change it. I have two choices, either repaint the wings trading the blue ink for red or repaint the shoulder pads trading the red in for blue.

med_gallery_3442_16212_105206.jpg

A bit of repainting will be fine if that's what I have to do to get it right. I'm still looking for more ways to improve this conversion as even in a completed state I believe I could find a few more things I could do to push it further. Oh, I am sculpting a Blood Chalice for him this evening. I have the box of skulls and some other material. It's going to be a large cup.

I think I can make most of it from plastic with green stuff covering that.

And on the terrain front.
I've taken some of the excess ruins I made earlier this year and stripped them from their bases and cut those bases down with a pare of tin snips. I'm starting prep for the next round of terrain. One thing I'd like to figure out is how would I make woods but out of industrial parts. so a count as woods. My first idea is to take the excess game mat, once I trim it back to the size for 2000 point games, and cut a few areas out of the left over mat and recolor it a little for the areas of "woods" I'll still want some terrain bits to be the counts as trees, some kinds of I-beams and pips and posts. the structure having been wrecked up so badly it could seem to have been woods, so ruins but the skeleton of what ever it used to be is all that's left.

I am also considering sink holes using the left over mat, painted deep blue and black to count as impassable spots for anything on the ground. We'd simply have to move around these but they will be otherwise clear to shoot across. Might build some low ridges to lay around the edges, probably a good idea, don't want anyone falling in.

Is the spear coming from the AoS I-don't-rmember-the name-something-undead faction? It looks wicked

The spear is from Yndrasta the unpronounceable. She's from the new Aos starter set, I scored the whole model for less than 30 usd. 

Had to shave off her hand a it was too small for this model. 

Update.

I feel like the Sangunior is finished now. 
Lots of large pictures here. 

20210829_162545.jpg

I really enjoyed painting this one. I feel like this is the best gold I have done yet.  I'm still struggling with small detail stuff like his face especially around the eyes, which I feel I should be able to do better but I'm done for now. Table ready.  
The Blood is a mix of clear and red Tamiya acrylic paint. My good friend gave me these some years ago. His favorite blood recipe. 

The Slaughter continues. 

Army list for tomorrows game.

++ Patrol Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Blood Angels) [49 PL, 10CP, 915pts] ++
+ Configuration [12CP] +
**Chapter Selector**: Blood Angels
Battle Size [12CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points)  [12CP]
Detachment Command Cost
Gametype: Matched
+ Stratagems [-1CP] +
Relics of the Chapter [-1CP]: Number of Extra Relics [-1CP]

+ HQ [12 PL, -1CP, 220pts] +
Captain with Master-crafted Heavy Bolt Rifle [6 PL, 105pts]: Archangel's Shard, Frag & Krak grenades, Master-crafted heavy bolt rifle, Master-crafted power sword, Warlord

Primaris Chaplain on Bike [6 PL, -1CP, 115pts]: 4. Mantra of Strength, Absolver Bolt pistol, Benediction of Fury, Crozius arcanum, Frag & Krak grenades, Litany of Hate, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter [-1CP], The Imperium's Sword, Twin Bolt rifle

+ Troops [7 PL, 150pts] +
Heavy Intercessor Squad [7 PL, 150pts]: Hellstorm bolt rifle, Hellstorm heavy bolter [10pts]
. 4x Heavy Intercessor [112pts]: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades
. Heavy Intercessor Sergeant [28pts]: Bolt pistol, Frag & Krak grenades

+ Elites [5 PL, 105pts] +
Bladeguard Veteran Squad [5 PL, 105pts]
. 2x Bladeguard Veteran [70pts]: 2x Frag & Krak grenades, 2x Heavy Bolt Pistol, 2x Master-crafted power sword, 2x Storm Shield
. Bladeguard Veteran Sergeant [35pts]: Frag & Krak grenades, Heavy Bolt Pistol, Master-crafted power sword, Storm Shield

+ Fast Attack [18 PL, 315pts] +
Storm Speeder Hammerstrike  [9 PL, 155pts]: Hammerstrike missile launcher, 2x Krakstorm Grenade Launcher, Melta destroyer

Storm Speeder Thunderstrike [9 PL, 160pts]: Stormfury missiles, Thunderstrike las-talon, Twin Icarus rocket pod

+ Dedicated Transport [7 PL, 125pts] +
Impulsor [7 PL, 125pts]: 2x Storm Bolters, Ironhail Heavy Stubber [5pts], Ironhail Skytalon Array [10pts]

++ Patrol Detachment -2CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Blood Angels) [59 PL, -3CP, 1,085pts] ++
+ Configuration [-2CP] +
**Chapter Selector**: Blood Angels
Detachment Command Cost [-2CP]

+ HQ [14 PL, -1CP, 240pts] +
Lieutenants [5 PL, -1CP, 90pts]
. Primaris Lieutenant [5 PL, -1CP, 90pts]: 5. Gift of Foresight, Frag & Krak grenades, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter [-1CP]
. . Neo-volkite pistol, Master-crafted power sword and Storm Shield [1 PL, 15pts]: Master-crafted power sword, Neo-volkite pistol [15pts], Storm shield

The Sanguinor [9 PL, 150pts]: Encarmine Broadsword, Frag & Krak grenades

+ Troops [10 PL, 155pts] +
Intercessor Squad [10 PL, 155pts]: Astartes Grenade Launcher [5pts], Bolt rifle
. 6x Intercessor [120pts]: 6x Bolt pistol, 6x Frag & Krak grenades
. Intercessor Sergeant [30pts]: Bolt pistol, Frag & Krak grenades, Power fist [10pts]

+ Elites [18 PL, 370pts] +
Redemptor Dreadnought [9 PL, 185pts]: 2x Storm Bolters, Icarus Rocket Pod [5pts], Macro Plasma Incinerator, Onslaught Gatling Cannon [5pts], Redemptor Fist

Redemptor Dreadnought [9 PL, 185pts]: 2x Storm Bolters, Heavy Onslaught Gatling Cannon, Icarus Rocket Pod [5pts], Onslaught Gatling Cannon [5pts], Redemptor Fist

+ Fast Attack [5 PL, 100pts] +
Suppressor Squad [5 PL, 100pts]
. 2x Suppressor: 2x Accelerator autocannon, 2x Bolt pistol, 2x Frag & Krak grenades
. Suppressor Sergeant: Accelerator autocannon, Bolt pistol, Frag & Krak grenades

+ Heavy Support [12 PL, 220pts] +
Gladiator Reaper [12 PL, 220pts]: Icarus Rocket Pod [5pts], Ironhail Heavy Stubber [5pts], 2x Tempest bolter, Twin heavy onslaught gatling cannon

++ Total: [108 PL, 7CP, 2,000pts] ++

Army packed. Lots of terrain packed as well. Hopefully this will make for a better game. 
Will take pictures as well. 

Finally made it home. I can say right now that this was the best game of 9th I have played yet. 
Some sort of battle report to come though I don't remember the name of the mission or all the secondary objectives but I do have several pictures.
The change of terrain was totally worth it.  
I'll have the bat rep ready as soon as I can. 

Update. 
After uploading all the pictures I realized there wasn't a whole lot of special details I could add past what I stuck in as there was still a fair bit of fog about the goings on of the game so I've asked my friend  to send me some extra info as he remembers it, which I should be able to add later on. 

Over al though, we managed 5 turns and I hung in there and his sisters of Battle are a tad cheesy as the order he chose has really strong shooting so there was nearly no avoiding his heavy weapons fire. And they had a lot of rerolls and such. Beware... 

Here's the battle report. 

20210902_120839.jpg

Edited by Warhead01

This is the strangest thing I don't know why it isn't working for you. Here's the address to use. 

https://warhead01.blogspot.com/2021/09/blood-angels-vs-sisters-of-battle-2000.html

You'll just have to copy and past it. No idea what the problem is the link works for me, which was the only way I had to verify it was working. 

If this doesn't work I don't yet know how to get a better fix. 

Sorry for the inconvenience. 

It's not an inconvenience, just wanted to see how you had done... looks like the scenery is improving things for your games. Good luck on the next one and I'm glad to see you're having a bit more of the game going your way rather than it being so one-sided.

Yes! The terrain was a smashing success. My friend after the game said we may have needed a bit more, which I mentioned at the start but even still it seemed as if a light turned on for him.  I think we still need to nail down all of the terrain rules and make sure we are using more than a lot of obscuring posts which is what it sort of felt like but this was a step in the right direction.

The final score was 71 to 51 SoB victory. I was nearly tabled but hung in there as best I could. I feel I could have done a few things better as far as game play and will try to remember these lessons for next time. My only other problem was a few bad dice here and there, just enough to add up in the end.  

Update. 

On my table right now are 10 more Intercessors, my last 10 from my repainting of my Primaris left overs and an extra Sgt. And I ordered another Impulsor because I am very impressed with them so far, just the right amount of movement and fire power and I think 2 will be better than 1.  

Plans are already in the works for my next list. I have a few tweaks on what I've been playing that I want to see.  

I should have a few terrain pictures to share some time this coming week. 

The slaughter continues.

Hey brother, great news and I'm happy for you! :D
Your final score is really not bad considering SoBs are among the top armies out there and the fact that your list was pretty vehicle heavy, which imo works to their advantage as they can put meltas on almost unit they bring. Few bad dice always happen, so they just need to be factored in.

I'm curious to hear how do you find the Suppressors in your list? From my experience, a unit of 3 tends to be swingy. I personally had better success with 2x3 or 1x5.