Core Units - Huge Change

Valerian

Honestly I am a fan. Tempers the need for characters, further breaks up the death star setups, also potentially a decent enough nerf to keep Ragnar from going up in points.

Also the fact that this will be where everything is going (assuming GW doesn't except it to often) will actually keep new codexes and old codexes a bit level as the old ones will retain the old, stronger, reroll system, and new will get this nerf alongside their buffs. Probably not fame breaking mind but it is a bit of a bone thrown to codexes in waiting.

I think this change is a good one and helps speed up the game by reducing the amount of re-rolls and overlapping buffs.

I'm happy they are keeping the nerfs to a per-codex basis and the buffs universal to help level the playing field during the edition.

Well, I'd honestly not be surprised with a FAQ/errata listing core units for every faction, as well as which characters/units with aura's are also impacted.

Quote from article:

"As mentioned earlier, these changes to aura abilities and the introduction of Core units will be rolled out with each new codex, starting with those of the Space Marines and Necrons."

This does not sound like an FAQ will be forthcoming for the armies lacking a new codex.

Terminators look even better now

1. the stormshield change which works nice with their 2+ save and not being that much of a nerf unlike wulfen

2. they confirmed that they get 3 wounds 

3. they benefit from character buffs because of core keyword

I think all infantry units, bikers, dreads and *cavalry in spacewolves will have the core keyword just like they did with chapter tactics back in the day

Their intention with that change is probably to nerf units like gunships, repulsors,new predators, new land speeders etc from getting rerolls to all those guns and also make smash characters less powerful. Like others said spacewolves smash captain is probably the best one now cause the +1 to hit really matters now 

Edited by lonewolf81

Cripes...what are the odds they forget about cav again, hopefully not as theyre wolf guard

WGTPL shining again

But hear me out...if characters drop in points might characters as mini tarpits be a thing for us (with character detachment limits) eg Wolf Guard Battle Leader in Terminator armour with storm shield is going to take a lot of shifting

Certainly the ability to take up to 2 WGBLs per slot looks a bit more interesting now. Also the Elite characters like Ancients and the new Judiciar might be worth a look since they are an extra way to get buffs without using up limited HQ slots.