Community Wishlist for Official Characters

Indefragable

Just musing about other characters I'd like to see get official representation in the game, first with rules but if we're dreaming then models too.

Part of the joy of the community aspect of the hobby is learning who other people really like and want to see. So this is a discussion about who we would like to see in future books, and if you feel like it, when they might appear in the series of black books. 

Another part of the fun is when FW comes out with interesting characters we've never encountered before and fleshes them out; fluff wise it makes the setting all the more lived-in and real and crunch wise it can introduce some interesting design space, especially if they provide abilities against type. That being said, there are still some known players we would all like to see enter the game in some way. 

For example, I was quite disappointed that Targutai Yesugei was not manifested for the White Scars; he's such an iconic character and one of the best bits (IMO) of the HH and especially the WS' arc. I really hope he gets rules and/or a model down the line. At this point, unless they randomly throw him in, I would expect him to crop up in the Black Book equivalent of Path of Heaven, though that would be a shame since it would be fun to get more "use" out of TY before that point in the narrative. 

Who would you most like to see?

Note: italics are used to denote guesses or placeholders

Attempt to build a comprehensive list of who we already have (will go back and update this):

Hidden Content

Legiones Astartes

I

• Lion El'Jonson
  • Corswain 
  • Medruk Dreadwing guy
  • Farith Redloss (Master of the Dreadwing)
  • Holguin (Master of the Deathwing)

III

• Fulgrim
  • Eidolon
  • Saul Tarvitz
  • Rylanor the Unyielding

IV

• Perturabo
  • Erasmus Golg
  • Kyr Vhalen
  • Other guy from book 6

V

• Jaghatai Khan
  • Qin Xa
  • Tsolomon Khan

VI

• Leman Russ
  • Non-Bjorn Fell-Handed
  • Hvarl Redblade

VII

• Rogal Dorn
  • Sigismund
  • Alexis Pollux

VIII

• Konrad Curze
  • Sevatar
  • Mawdrym Llansahai
  • Nakrid Thole (new guy in Book 9)
  • The Coward guy from Book 6

IX

• Sanguinius
  • Raldoron
  • Judiciar Aster Crohne

X

• Ferrus Manus
  • Shadrak Meduson
  • Autek Mor
  • Castrmen Orth

XII

• Angron
  • Khârn
  • Shabran Darr
  • Gahlan Surlak, Master of the Inductii

XIII

• Robot Guilliman
  • Remus Ventanus

XIV

• Mortarion
  • Calas Typhon
  • Crysos Morturg
  • Durak Rask

XV

• Magnus the Red
  • Ahriman
  • Amon

XVI

• Horus Lupercal
  • Abaddon
  • Maloghurst
  • Garviel Loken
  • Tybalt Marr

XVII

• Lorgar Aurelian
  • Kor Phaeron
  • Erebus
  • Hol Beloth
  • Zardu Layak

XVIII

• Vulkan
  • Nomus Why/Tan
  • Cassian Dracos (two versions)
  • Other Chaplain guy in Book 6

XIX 

• Corvus Corax
  • Alvarez Maun
  • Kaedes Nex

XX

• Alpharius
  • Armillus Dynat
  • Exodus
  • Harrowmaster guy from Book 6

Other Imperials

Adeptes Custodes

• Valdor

Sisters of Silence

• Jenetia Krole

Knights Errant

• Nathanial Garro
  • Tylos Rubio

Blackshields

• Nemean Reaver
  • World Eaters guy who becomes Knight Errant

Solar Auxilia

• Mesade
  • Medic guy

Who "we" would like to see:

Hidden Content

Legiones Astartes

I

• Luther
  • Commander of Firewing (unknown name as of now)
  • Commander of Stormwing (unknown name as of now)
  • Commander of Ironwing (unknown name as of now)
  • Commander of Ravenwing (unknown name as of now)

II

• Bob

....I'm just assuming there had to be at least one Bob in the legion, erased from history or not

III

• Arkaduana
  • Lucius 

IV

• Forrix
  • Barabas Dantioch
  • Barban Falk
  • Toramino - Master of the Stor-Bezashk

V

• Targutai Yesugei
  • Jubal Khan
  • Shiban Khan

VI

• Bjorn the actual Fell-Handed
  • Kva Who-Is-Divided (RunePriest)
  • Gunnar Gunnhilt?

VII

• Archamus
  • Camba Diaz
  • Fafnir Rann
  • Appius: "father of dreadnoughts"

VIII

• Gendor Skraivok? (does anyone actually want to see this :censored: ? :smile.:
  • Sheng
  • Fel Zharost
  • Krieg Acerbus
  • Tso Sahaal
  • Malcharion

IX

• Azkaellon
  • Amit
  • M'Kani Kano: Librarian and Assistant Chapter Master
  • Arkhad, Warden and Regent of Baal
  • Bel Sepatus, Captain-Paladin of the Keruvim Host (Crimson Paladins)

X

• Amadeus DuCaine: Legion Master pre-Ferrus Manus
  • Gabriel Santor, Equerry to Ferrus Manus and leader of the Morlock unit of Gorgon-pattern Terminators
  • Crius, who becomes a Revenant marine

XII

• Another one I'm having trouble with
  • Delvarus
  • Jareg
  • Dreagher, 9th Centurion (who first muttered "eaters of world!"

XIII

• Marius Gage
  • Aeonid Thiel

XIV

• Vorrix, SIegemaster
  • Grulgor

XV

• Master of the Pavoni
  • Master of the Raptora
  • Master of the Pyrae
  • Revuel Arvida

XVI

• "Little Horus" Aximand
  • Tarik Torgaddon (before/after his juice cleanse)
  • Argonis
  • Falkus Kibre, Abaddon's 2nd in command, commander of the Justarean Terminators
  • Kalus Ekaddon, commander of the Catulan Reavers
  • Hastur Sejanus?

XVII

• Do we have enough characters for them already? Anyone still missing?
  • Argel Tal

XVIII

• Numeon
  • T'Kell

XIX

• Branne Nev
  • Agapito Nev
  • Gherith Arendi
  • Nerat Kirine* (should he be more of a Blackshield due to Ashen Claw status?)
  • Arkhas Fal

XX

• Alpharius
  • Alpharius
  • Alpharius
  • Alpharius
  • Omegon
  • Alpharius
  • Alpharius

Other Imperials

Adeptes Custodes

• Ra Endymion
  • Amon Tauromachian
  • Diocletian Coros

Malcador's Chosen:

• Khalid Hassan (I personally would love to see a proto-Karskin type commando that is normal human adept at taking down Astartes)

Imperial Army

• Saul Niborran
  • Katsuhiro (I think it would be a lot of fun to have as a playable character unit a normal human with nothing special, and a conscript at that)

Mechanicus

• Zagreus Kane

Dark Mechanicus

• Kelbor-Hal

Will update periodically based on ongoing discussion.

• Last update 09/18 10:22 local
Edited by Indefragable

I would really like to see Luther, so I second that one. In Book 9, there is a map at the beginning showing something called the Nightmare Passage from Horus' Dark Empire and the Dark Mech world of Xana II going to Caliban, so perhaps they could do something with a campaign of Dark Mech/Sons of Horus vs the 1st Legion.

Lucius I think needs to come for the IIIrd, and Horus Aximand and Tarik Torgaddon for the XVI. Some of those should just be revised as additions to Book I, maybe one day they do a revision of the book and add them in.

For the XVII, I would like to see Argel Tal, who could arrive in the Shadow Crusade. I assume the UM characters could be added then as well.

Those are the ones I'm most interested in I think.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

For the World Eaters, maybe some of the characters from Betrayer? I don't really remember the names right now - Delvarus was one of them, I think? I remember there being somebody who was a member of the Destroyers and had permanent rad scarring.

There was also the Dreadnought who was a master of the War Hounds prior to Angron, that'd be interesting to see.

For the XVIth, I think they're due for a big update a la Night Lords in Book 9; they have some of the earliest legacy rules, and they also undergo changes throughout the course of the Heresy. Updated rules and fluff to represent stuff like their own Gal Vorbak units would be interesting. Maybe somebody along the lines of Argonis - a Dark Herald sort of dude who provides army buffs/debuffs or a Rite of War?

Ingo Pech (or was it Sheed Ranko?) - the First Captain - for the Alpha Legion.

For the World Eaters, maybe some of the characters from Betrayer? I don't really remember the names right now - Delvarus was one of them, I think? I remember there being somebody who was a member of the Destroyers and had permanent rad scarring.

There was also the Dreadnought who was a master of the War Hounds prior to Angron, that'd be interesting to see.

For the XVIth, I think they're due for a big update a la Night Lords in Book 9; they have some of the earliest legacy rules, and they also undergo changes throughout the course of the Heresy. Updated rules and fluff to represent stuff like their own Gal Vorbak units would be interesting. Maybe somebody along the lines of Argonis - a Dark Herald sort of dude who provides army buffs/debuffs or a Rite of War?

Ingo Pech (or was it Sheed Ranko?) - the First Captain - for the Alpha Legion.

Good ideas on them all.

I am looking forward to almost every Legion getting a NL style soft-reboot/re-dux at some point in the cycle. Book 1 factions (SoH, EC especially) could sure use it.

World Eaters are one that I am looking forward them telling us about, since beyond Khan and yea maybe Delvarus (sp?) I can't really think of any named characters in the lore from the time period. 

Good calls on Argonis and Ingo Pech. 

Hey Indy, are you looking for a discussion purely on which named characters we'd like to see incorporated into the game system, completely agnostic of what those rules might look like (ie. here's a name, let the studio figure out everything else), or are you also interested in ideas as to what we the community think those rules could/should look like (ie. Argel Tal with a Gal Vorbak statline and a Sentinel Blade)?

For the Imperial Fists, this would be supercool: Appius "father of Dreadnoughts",a veteran of terran unification and the first of the VII legion to become a dread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/40kLore/comments/cjhaz0/book_excerpt_champion_of_oaths_sigismund_fights_a/

(Going by the text, seems like a MkV boxnaught with shield and hammer)

Hey Indy, are you looking for a discussion purely on which named characters we'd like to see incorporated into the game system, completely agnostic of what those rules might look like (ie. here's a name, let the studio figure out everything else), or are you also interested in ideas as to what we the community think those rules could/should look like (ie. Argel Tal with a Gal Vorbak statline and a Sentinel Blade)?

Mainly characters that "we" know about already and would like to see implemented into the game. I guess that's the Primary question. The secondary would be characters that exist and maybe shouldn't get rules except for the fact that they are a counter-point or something else interesting to existing setups. 

Example:

Hidden Content

Primary: "It's a shame the BA don't have rules for Stabby McStabface because he was so good at stabbing faces in all 54 books of the HH novel series."

Secondary: "It'd be cool if the BA got rules for Shooty McShootface. He only features in one short story, but the fact that he was a BA adept at shooting people instead of stabbing them would be a cool way of fleshing out the Legions builds a bit more." 

...I guess what I'd like to stay away from his just inventing characters or people to fill in gaps in the existing rules: that can be for another topic. This is about established (with very loose criteria for that) characters that would be great to see in-game. Aka no head-canon/homebrew dudes, but if someone is in a BL/GW/FW work somewhere and you can make a case (again, extremely loose criteria for that) for them being in the game, go for it.

And this is all fun, so if you want to provide the rules you'd like to see for a character, have at it. Let's just all be respectful and not :cuss all over each's efforts because we prefer the guy to wear white socks instead of black socks. 

I get ya, it's just that if we're discussing what rules may/may not look like for individuals, that opens up dimensions of design space, intended roles, overlap with existing characters, etc.

I'm not looking to say "no you're wrong, character X should do this, not that, and cost Y points EXACTLY", more along the lines of...

Okay, here's an example that came to mind reading the thread: Fafnir Rann for the Fists. I am going into this with the operating assumption that we want the rules to reflect the background as much as is feasible (else, why bother with the named dudes, right?). What do we know about Rann? He leads an assault company, tends to roll with Breachers, he uses a power axe, and he uses a big-ass shield. In game terms, a power axe is an Initiative 1, AP2 weapon.

So: Breachers, Shield, Unwieldy AP weapon - that seems to me to overlap a fair bit with Pollux's rules.

I'm also operating with the assumption that we want the named characters to be fairly distinctive. So bearing that in mind, how would we make Rann stand apart from Pollux?

I just think it'd be fun to see people's ideas in this regard.

I get ya, it's just that if we're discussing what rules may/may not look like for individuals, that opens up dimensions of design space, intended roles, overlap with existing characters, etc.

I'm not looking to say "no you're wrong, character X should do this, not that, and cost Y points EXACTLY", more along the lines of...

Okay, here's an example that came to mind reading the thread: Fafnir Rann for the Fists. I am going into this with the operating assumption that we want the rules to reflect the background as much as is feasible (else, why bother with the named dudes, right?). What do we know about Rann? He leads an assault company, tends to roll with Breachers, he uses a power axe, and he uses a big-ass shield. In game terms, a power axe is an Initiative 1, AP2 weapon.

So: Breachers, Shield, Unwieldy AP weapon - that seems to me to overlap a fair bit with Pollux's rules.

I'm also operating with the assumption that we want the named characters to be fairly distinctive. So bearing that in mind, how would we make Rann stand apart from Pollux?

I just think it'd be fun to see people's ideas in this regard.

It's a great point of discussion. And it's also a taste for all of us what the devs face on a daily basis. "Here's a World Eater who's really good in a scrap." <looks at every single other World Eater character> etc...

For me, that's the fun of topics like this though: how should Rann differ from Pollux? Is one better at combat and the other better at buffing? Is one better at solo'ing squads and the other better at 1:1 fights? 

Rann would probably buff Breachers (even more?) . Hmmmmmmm. I'll need to think on this one. 

On a personal note, I like the idea of Azkaellon and Amit being polar opposites design-wise, just as they are in the fluff:

Hidden Content

Azkaellon is "untouchable" because he is the master of defense, able to hold his own against pretty much anyone in the galaxy, but he can often be slow to dispatch his opponent

Amit is the unstoppable force, basically going berzerk and forgoing any defense for all out offense. 

Raldoron is sort of the mid-ground/combination of both (which is what makes him the legend/Big Four that he is). 

So from a design perspective Azkaellon could be -1 To Hit, or re-roll failed invulns or such, but only have 2-3A, while Amit could be Khârn Jr or something.

....but the above is a layup since there's literally a short story that lays out the above 

I'm starting to break my own rules here, but in general I would like to see more shooty characters, guys with BS6+ or cool guns or ways of getting a bit more out of shooting. Any characters in the fluff that are explicitly good at that, or can be interpreted rules-wise into being shootier?

So the thing with Rann is in the books he tends to hang with Sigismund more than Pollux (admittedly, Pollux being trapped on the other side of the galaxy plays a small role in that). And here I think is actually a good place to contrast them with rules; Sigismund is a dueling monster, and Rann could be more of a squad blender - something to showcase the ferocity that will eventually found the Executioners Chapter.

I'm starting to break my own rules here, but in general I would like to see more shooty characters, guys with BS6+ or cool guns or ways of getting a bit more out of shooting. Any characters in the fluff that are explicitly good at that, or can be interpreted rules-wise into being shootier?

Hmm, this is interesting. Off the top of my head, I can't really think of any Marine characters from the BL publications that really fits this bill. There was the Vindicare sniper from Nemesis turned daemonic sharpshooter, but that's all that comes to mind currently. I was always bummed we didn't get stories about, say, Exodus or Kaedes Nex.

Ok I thought about it some more.

Sigismund is the Fists Combat Character, and lets you make Templar themed armies.

Polux is the Fist Tactician Character but his deep strike and reserve buff don’t work well with Stone Gauntlet

So what Id like to see is Rann buff Stone Gauntlet (+1 to Breacher Shield Inv for a squad would be Sickkkk). Mixed with Phalanx Warders as troops (and hopefully recosted Breachers) you could really go nuts with an all shield army.

Also, Archamus could be interesting assuming Huscarl become Deathwing Companions life. The father of Dreadnaughts could be cool, but so could a character that doesn’t really fit the Fist archetypes like a Moritat. To double down on the siege theme maybe a Camba-Diaz like character that is a Praetor level siege breaker or master of signal. Fists new special units should definitely be huscarls in power armor with the option to take terminator armor and maybe some kind of Elite siege Dreadnaught variant that comes with a siege drill for Contemptors like the artwork

Edited by Marshal Rohr

Lheorvine Ukris from the Black Legion novels!

Make him a WE legion armistos with a plasma cannon, following the classic unused Jes Goodwin design:

khorne_04.jpg

Hidden Content
So the thing with Rann is in the books he tends to hang with Sigismund more than Pollux (admittedly, Pollux being trapped on the other side of the galaxy plays a small role in that). And here I think is actually a good place to contrast them with rules; Sigismund is a dueling monster, and Rann could be more of a squad blender - something to showcase the ferocity that will eventually found the Executioners Chapter.

Hmm, this is interesting. Off the top of my head, I can't really think of any Marine characters from the BL publications that really fits this bill. There was the Vindicare sniper from Nemesis turned daemonic sharpshooter, but that's all that comes to mind currently. I was always bummed we didn't get stories about, say, Exodus or Kaedes Nex.

Hidden Content

Ok I thought about it some more.

Sigismund is the Fists Combat Character, and lets you make Templar themed armies.

Polux is the Fist Tactician Character but his deep strike and reserve buff don’t work well with Stone Gauntlet

So what Id like to see is Rann buff Stone Gauntlet (+1 to Breacher Shield Inv for a squad would be Sickkkk). Mixed with Phalanx Warders as troops (and hopefully recosted Breachers) you could really go nuts with an all shield army.

Also, Archamus could be interesting assuming Huscarl become Deathwing Companions life. The father of Dreadnaughts could be cool, but so could a character that doesn’t really fit the Fist archetypes like a Moritat. To double down on the siege theme maybe a Camba-Diaz like character that is a Praetor level siege breaker or master of signal. Fists new special units should definitely be huscarls in power armor with the option to take terminator armor and maybe some kind of Elite siege Dreadnaught variant that comes with a siege drill for Contemptors like the artwork

Rann getting +1A (or even +2A just to be different) for having 2x power axes would be cool and helm him in all situations, but especially against squads. 

Perhaps Rann provides Counter-Attack and other buffs to Breachers/Phalanx Wardens so they operate even more so like Roman Legions who are better at taking charges than actually charging. Or perhaps Rann's shtick is he gives the attached Breacher/Warden squad Chosen Warriors so each member can give/recieve Challenges. That would be interesting design space, being the anti-special snowflake, the ultimate tarpit. Whereas Siggy is the charge-in-and-murderize, and Pollux is the maneuver guy, Rann is the true defender, picking an Obj in the game that will not be taken. Ya know, like an Imperial Fist? 

...of course what do we then do with Camba Diaz....

Make him a WE legion armistos with a plasma cannon, following the classic unused Jes Goodwin design:

khorne_04.jpg

DAKKA FOR THE DAKKA GOD

Armistos is a good call. 

Edited by Indefragable

The father of Dreadnaughts could be cool, but so could a character that doesn’t really fit the Fist archetypes like a Moritat.

Appius could be a mix of Mortificator and Chaplain for legion dread squadrons. Make him the grandpa of boxnaughts who can't stand millenial Contemptors and his newfangled atomantic reactors.

khorne_04.jpg

Rules for Heresy Lheor huh?

*cough*

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6n95yf7nzpb7bod/AABhji9oqikILxAll_t6twDKa?dl=0

Lheorvine_Ukris_-_World_Eaters-1.jpg

Lheorvine_Ukris_-_World_Eaters-2.jpg

Nice! But Lheor definitely should have a plasma cannon for HH games. IIRC he began carrying his heavy bolter after the Siege of Terra and rolling a couple ones ("Firefist" = Gets Hot!)

And he absolutely can - check his options

As a captain & Armistos, he'd have access to a range of weaponry and I figured I'd give him options so you can outfit him for a variety of targets

Sure, I saw the option. I just think that is more appropiate in a narrative sense that he shouln't be using a HB before having his arms blown at Terra (Also because I love the classic Jes drawing and I want a playable mini of it).

That's fair, although I would say that him using a Plasma Cannon at Terra, the final battle of the Heresy isn't necessarily an indication that's what he used throughout the conflict - I included the Heavy Bolter as it's his 'iconic' weapon in the Black Legion series, and given I wanted him to have access to both, going with the cheaper option as the 'default' meant if folks wanted to equip that they wouldn't be throwing away points - plus if it's any consolation, I've done Heresy-era art of him with the heavy bolter before and Aaron didn't have any objections 

@Indefragable and Iansalt, love both those ideas. A Mortificator/Chaplain dread would be too cool. Rann being a character, 2W terminator killing tar pit that needs big guns to take down really fits well.

Jumping in on other Legions:

Space Wolves: A unique Runepriest and Deathspeaker(?) would be cool. Especially if they can take the Runewatchers in bone armor armor from the books as a unique bodyguard.

Blood Angels: Azkaellon is probably too popular not to do, but I wouldn’t mind A siege breaker type, even though it’s counter intuitive. In 1st Edition space marine blood angels were known for being fortress takers and siege fighters believe it or not. A siege breaker terminator would be a pretty cool call back to that.

Death Guard: they need a Destroyer character, for sure. A suped up moritat or praetor that unlocks destroyers on foot as compulsory troops. I’d also like to see them get an Armistos type named character with Chemflamer

Iron Warriors: definitely need Forrix but he needs to shift from tanks and artillery to an elite spearhead of trench raiders. Old lore always mentioned how Iron Warriors would fight like World Eaters or Blood Angels once the walls came down.

Edited by Marshal Rohr