Is it worth getting War of the Spider for the lore?

Urauloth

I'm not using my DG for 40k currently, so I haven't felt like I needed PA: WotS for any of the rules content. I expect at least some of that will be replaced by or rolled into the upcoming codex anyway, so whatever. What I want to know is how much other DG related content there is in this book, because if there's a decent amount I'll get it for that anyway, and if it's thin on the ground I'll just wait for the codex.

I assume there's some narrative elements, but are they good, and is there anything else on offer? Do we learn anything new about the Plague Companies? Any vectorium colour schemes or organizational details? New art? Anything like that.

I think I know what you mean, Brother.  No, there isn't.  No images of specific Plague Company members to show differences, no mention of them in the actual story even, etc.  Not sure if you saw the Vigilis books, but you know how in the opening they might mention a Chapter had 3 Companies there and then give the whole Chapter just 1 paragraph in the overarching plot, but still screw it up (like iirc the Iron Hands did not refer to their leader as Iron Father)?  There's not even that, it was just like "Typhus and his dudes then did this."

The Plague Companies exist only as a game mechanic and their fluff is 1 paragraph at the top of each of their 1-page of rules, and it's like "these dudes are hated by the other Plague Companies because they have a lot of Sorcerers because, remember, Mortarion hates psykers".  There is a random name generator so you can roll a name like Excremo the Excreminator, but that's pretty much it.

Ah, thank you. That's kinda what I was afraid of, but also unfortunately what I expected. I actually loved Vigilus in Flames, but I haven't found the PA books to be anything like as good as that so far. It sounds like this falls firmly into "wait for the codex" territory.