Iron on the inside Iron on the outside also

Arkaniss

Hello everyone!

Today I start my Iron Warriors journey, hopefully this should help me keep motivated and productive. I have plans for a 1000pt list from what models I own so I have my target and even a game day towards the end of October I'm optimistically aiming for. Covid dependant as always these days.

So here is what I'm starting with - 20 MkIII Marines and what will be a slightly modified Chaplain (he'll be a Chaos Lord). Just gonna swap out the Crozius for a Thunder Hammer, which I haven't done yet as you can see:

med_gallery_27469_16649_443405.jpg

I've used Duncan's speed painting IW video as a jumping off point as I want to try something different with this army. Normally I methodically (and slowly) make my way through my paint schemes. Undercoating, base coating, layer, wash etc... and so I wanted to have a faster painted army that still looked good on the table but was less effort to get it there.

Behold! My Iron Warrior paint scheme:

med_gallery_27469_16649_482801.jpgmed_gallery_27469_16649_384737.jpg

I need a bit more practice with the hazard stripes and to paint them at more of an angle I think. Anyway, as you can see it's mostly Duncan's paint recipe but with a few alterations that aren't really worth mentioning. I'm very happy with the results so I'm hoping to start churning the Marines out! As for basing I'm thinking of some mud and snow? Always like a bit of snow and it'll help lighten the model a bit.

After this lot I have 20 Cultists to work on which I'll try and keep to the same speed painting* ethos. Plus they're cultists, so most likely won't be on the table long enough for people to really take a look at them :teehee:

*speed painting by my metric at any rate!

This is a great start, I think the test Marine came out well so you're making good progress already :thumbsup: I feel that a little bit more might be required, such as picking the piping out in a different colour (black?) to help break the block of metallic up but otherwise it's really working well. Once you get a few models done and maybe the bases it'll be worth reviewing to see how the scheme works overall :smile.:

Speaking of, a churned mud style base would suit IW nicely and snow on top would provide some nice variety and contrast. There will be lots of opportunity to add more like rocks, or siege debris etc to spice them up. I use mud and snow on my nids and it's quick and easy especially for how nice it looks so it should fit your needs nicely. The texture paint gets and Agrax wash and overbrush with Steel Legion to match the sides and that's it.

MkIIIs are perfect for Iron Warriors aside from being great kits, looking forward to seeing more :biggrin.:

I feel that a little bit more might be required, such as picking the piping out in a different colour (black?) to help break the block of metallic up but otherwise it's really working well.

Thanks! The pipes are actually black the picture doesn't show it very well, perhaps because of the light. Yes I liked your 'nid bases so I think I'm definitely gonna steal it :thumbsup:

Seconding WarriorFish. See that lovely copper bronze you've got on the shoulder pads? You want that on the trim of the armour too, specifically the plates on the neck, forearms, legs and the groin cover. 

Cheers, it's three washes just like in the video. This was my initial plan, then I decided against it when I realised it would pretty much just cover all the parts that the Necron Compound drybrush hits. I will be doing all the trims on elites and characters to help make them pop :smile.:

That said this is early days in the paint scheme, so I am planning on getting a squad of 10 done and sitting back to give them a good looking over. It may be that their bottom halves end up too dull and need something in which case I'll go back over them and add the trim as you said.

Have you thought of a backstory for your warband?

Thank you TC! Yes I've got some budding ideas for them. They will pretty much be completely HH models (as I intend to co-opt most of the army to a HH army one day...) and I have been pondering some fluff ideas for that :biggrin.: I've yet to put any of this down so it will be a while before any of it emerges from my head.

Many thanks for popping in and taking the time to post peeps I really appreciate it! I'm gonna spend this evening working on 4 more models so maybe I have some more to show soon :yes:

Cheers MegaVolt! I will do mud and snow, the more I think of it the more I'm set on it. Hopefully it'll look good

So I had a decent evenings painting and I have four more Marines up to the same standard :biggrin.: I will need to do a bit more on the meltagun (and plasma that's not in the picture) and of course the bases for the full effect but I'm starting to suspect I'll need to do the trims. So slightly less speed than I originally planned :tongue.:

med_gallery_27469_16649_428775.jpg

I am starting to get the hang of painting the hazard stripes too :thumbsup: The next batch of five I do I'll start experimenting with some on the shoulder pads.

Edit: Thanks BCC, I think my first foray into speed painting has been a success :) Might make going back to my old armies a bit difficult now

Edited by Arkaniss

They're looking good, and quick too. Maybe the odd knee pad could be given the trim treatment too, for variety? Would be good to see some stripes on the shoulder pads too as that's the classic and more noticeable place for them. You'll have your 10 models to review soon at this rate! :D

Thanks everyone! I fit in another couple of painting sessions and yes, you were right MegaVolt the shoulder pads weren't a problem! Dare I say I'm pretty confident with doing the hazard stripes now :biggrin.: Jings I decided not to do the leg trim in the end but I agree something a little extra needed adding to the legs so I went with WarriorsFish's suggestion of the odd knee pad being given the trim treatment :thumbsup:

So onto the pictures! Ten Iron Warriors done in three days (not painting the whole day of course!) which is pretty amazing. They came out great I'm very pleased with them

med_gallery_27469_16649_1037486.jpg

Just got to figure out the last couple of things - namely the plume final colour and what do do with plasma coils. I do have Hexwraith Flame and Nighthaunt Gloom maybe I could use one of them? Never used them before though!

med_gallery_27469_16649_933970.jpg

The snow isn't so bright now it's dried (these photos it was fresh) so maybe next time I need to layer it on more thickly so the base colour doesn't show through in places? Or maybe Valhallan Blizzard just does that?

They look great, to think they were done in three days you've definitely got the scheme worked out. I've not used Valhallan Blizzard but if it's anything like the snow I have you can do a fair bit with it depending on quantity. You can return to add more if you want easily fortunately :smile.:

For the plume picking out bits in a brighter red should be fine, that's what I've done and it works :thumbsup: I think those paints will give a good plasma look, but I'm not sure how well they'd work on the smaller area?

You'll be able to experiment with the hazard stripes now, could go all sorts of places like half the chest or on a face plate etc. Would be worth seeing about a little bit of weathering/battle damage on them too to complete the IW look, could be as simple as sponging a bit of Leadbelcher on? Looking forward to seeing more :biggrin.:

Cheers! Yes it's looking a bit sickly, perhaps I didn't put enough on then. I'll go back and add another layer :tu:

The plume is currently Khorne Red, so maybe a layer of Mephiston Red and a wash will do the job. I have thought on adding battle damage but to be honest I'm worried I'll just mess up what I've done in the attempt :sweat: I'll definitely be expanding the areas I paint hazard stripes on though. Gotten fairly comfortable with it now with what I've done. So I'll be doing some new areas in the next batch of Marines.

I'm gonna search around about using those paints. Perhaps it's not the right use for them, in which case I'll do it the old fashioned way. I'm leaning towards the traditional blue for plasma, should work well with the yellow and red accents on the models better than green for example.

• 3 weeks later...

So a bit of a break thanks to tonsillitis but I'm back! Started work on the next squad of Marines:

med_gallery_27469_16649_260915.jpg

Basic prep work at the moment - I've assembled them a bit too after this photo. Now the painting can begin! Hoping to get these done this week then maybe switch to knocking out the Cultists quick afterwards :tu:

Good to see, the second squad usually perfects the paint scheme in my experience as you decide on what to do and optimise the method :tu: I have recently settled on the last bit for my new scheme, but try not to leave it as late as I did as now I have to go back and paint 60 odd pairs of eyes :sweat: Looking forward to seeing them get done and the army come together :)

I made decent progress last night! Mainly as I forgot how fast this speed painting is :biggrin.: Decided to try out some hazard stripes on helmets this time:

med_gallery_27469_16649_233159.jpg

These are well on the way! Got to do the hazard stripes, bases and finish off the weapons... I think that's it :tu:

Got in some more work on the Marines, they're so very close to being finished now!

med_gallery_27469_16649_298755.jpg

They're so near in fact I've spray painted the Cultists ready for painting. Will have to sort their scheme out at first which may slow things (that and there are 20 of them) but I'm aiming for a muted and dark scheme to match the Marines. Just without any yellow though I think, I'll keep that for Marines :tu:

Didn't take long for the last bits but last night was productive! 20 Marines 99% done:

med_gallery_27469_16649_429372.jpg

Re-applied some snow to the first 10 as well, then put them all away from direct sunlight while it cures. Just plasma coils/power weapons left once I've decided on what to do. Cultists next :smile.:

Cheers WF! I'm trying to keep up momentum - I've started work on the Cultists and it's going ok!

med_gallery_27469_16649_561873.jpg

I thought batches of 5 would be manageable, and each set would have a different colour to help make them look a bit unique. This as you can see is batch red and I'm thinking dark blue and green and something else for the final 5. The idea being that their main palette will be dark and grimy but the different colours will help make the same models vary as well as (hopefully) give a non-uniform feeling to the rabble.

That should do I reckon. These will be the only Cultists after all, I don't need to plan for any more :)

Had a good evening and these Cultists are complete :biggrin.:

med_gallery_27469_16649_508049.jpg

med_gallery_27469_16649_92900.jpg

Pretty happy with how they turned out. Managed to resist painting all the little details but I still did some which slowed things down a bit :sweat: As you can see I decided to give some a tiny bit of yellow to tie them into the Marines. Now the paint the other 15!