So what's left for Primaris after this year?

We currently only have one veteran unit (bladeguard) so is there more first company models?

Veterans could and should come in any armor pattern. Just because we've clearly had waves already doesn't preclude from more units with those armors could still come. Case in point, both assault intercessors and outriders came in Tacticus.

Putting Tracks on their tanks ;D

That humourous ribbing aside, the Omni-armour line needs addressing. Suppressors really feel like they were a super poor knee jerk design reaction to overwatch outcry and failed to be effective, funny how that works (small squads with guns meant to be spammed? How did that not work? :D)

We will likely see some more Primaris armour hover out at some point, be it in various forms. Remember we do also have that firestrike turret thing, the hammerfall bunker and Primaris Techmarine coming. Another aspect will likely be giving us variant HQs of some units, such as Gravis Librarian, Chaplain and Techmarine, maybe even Gravis support characters such as apothecaries and ancients.

Thats me though, I personally have a thing about Mechanics reflected in fluff and fluff in Mechanics. Doesn't need to be 1 to 1, however when it happens it just makes everything work so well. One of these is certain characters not having access to wargear they really should. "Captain, I'm sorry but your heavy bolter license was revoked" "but I'm the captain!" "Not my place to go against the rules sir, even the chapter master isn't allowed a heavy bolter" -and so, gravis heavy bolt rifles were born- "Modern Problems need modern solutions"

Impulsor/repulsor variant whit demolisher cannon or whirlwind missile launcher.

Stand alone Ancient.

Multipart kits for actual units like Supressors.

The Primaris Whirlwind is actually one of my "high percentage bets" for next year's lineup - that turret from the Hammerfall Bunker looks like it was designed with the idea of also plopping it on a Repulsor chassis. So a multi-build kit similar to the Gladiator and Storm Speeder with turret options that roughly equate to the Whirlwind/Hunter/Stalker trio seems like a sure bet to happen at some point, and probably as early as next year.

The Ancient - the only way I see us NOT getting a standalone model is if they repackage the entire Primaris lineup from Dark Imperium into a Start Collecting box this holiday season. If that's the case, I could see him continuing to be exclusive to that box, along with the DI Gravis Captain and the Lieutenant models.

Suppressors - I think they've always planned on doing a mulitpart kit for them. Why they didn't show up in 2019 may simply be due to them not being in Phobos like the rest of that MPK wave (while they were included in Shadowspear as part of the "Vanguard" element, they really don't belong with the sneaky Phobos guys. They're just the first of the loud shooty guys to come running when the Phobos guys hit the panic button).

And if one of the selling points of their eventual MPK box is a mid-ranged option, then they'd have been taking a little bit of shine from the Outriders if they were released this year. Thus why I included them as one of my predictions for next year.

An innately deep striking Primaris Captain would not be remiss. In Gravis please but Phobos with camo-armor would be acceptable lol.

Of course Xenos are crying. Even though reality makes them individually a small part of the hobby, 7 other codice with little to zero love sans Crons is going to created some feel badsies. Thing being redoing each line in the same vein as the Necrons will have an equal or greater amount of crying as things progress because eventually Khorne and Slaanesh need added to the list with Primaris Grey Knights and a new Guard line of models rumblings not far behind :)

How about a Gravis Chaplain, with a feature that allows him to have a wider area for litanies, and Ld buff? I would get that.

Give me a Chaplain in Omnis with a Jump Pack.

I want a Gravis Librarian with a defensive psychic discipline.

Primaris Thunderfire Cannon. I want 3. I also want them to count as core if taken in a Spearhead detachment, for the HQ of that Spearhead. That would be an artillery battery, which is a thing, and its commander buffing the guns, which are vehicles.

I want a Techmarine in a Warsuit, so badly that I can taste it.

I also want Primaris versions of the Whirlwind, the Hunter, and the Stalker.

- primaris terminators

- some form of artillery

- jump pack assault dudes

- HQ's in different armor/with different gear. I'd like to be able to give my HQ's the full range of options available to Marines.

- more types of veteran squads

- like someone else said, a standalone Ancient, unless the OG one becomes available in a start collecting

- I'd like to see another Redemptor-chassis dreadnought.

Edited by Mmmmm Napalm

I wouldn't be surprised if they tied new Primaris unit releases to different Codex Supplement releases. For example:

1 - White Scars Supplement -- Primaris Bike version of Khan and Outriders kit (released as stand alone boxes with more options)

2 - Raven Guard Supplement -- Primaris Jump Captain and Primaris Jump Troops

3 - Space Wolf Supplement -- Primaris Arjac Rockfist and Primaris Close Combat Gravis Armor variant (i.e. Wolf Guard)

4 - Blood Angels Supplement -- Primaris Dante and Primaris Death Company (with Chainsword and CCW options this time)

5 - Iron Hands -- Primaris Techmarine and Primaris Firestrike Turret

6 - Black Templar -- Primaris Helbrecht and Primaris Bladeguard (full kit, with weapon options and 6 models; i.e. Primaris Sword Brothers).

I wouldn't be surprised if they tied new Primaris unit releases to different Codex Supplement releases. For example:

1 - White Scars Supplement -- Primaris Bike version of Khan and Outriders kit (released as stand alone boxes with more options)

2 - Raven Guard Supplement -- Primaris Jump Captain and Primaris Jump Troops

3 - Space Wolf Supplement -- Primaris Arjac Rockfist and Primaris Close Combat Gravis Armor variant (i.e. Wolf Guard)

4 - Blood Angels Supplement -- Primaris Dante and Primaris Death Company (with Chainsword and CCW options this time)

5 - Iron Hands -- Primaris Techmarine and Primaris Firestrike Turret

6 - Black Templar -- Primaris Helbrecht and Primaris Bladeguard (full kit, with weapon options and 6 models; i.e. Primaris Sword Brothers).

i doubt they'll be doing new versions of the chapter supplements already released, given that they've emphasized that the 8.5 supplements are designed to work with the 9th ed. codex too. 

I think that in general it looks like they’re trying to make all marine models useable by all marines. I don’t recall a chapter-specific unit - other than special characters - being released in 8th.

This makes sense from a marketing perspective. Why make models of a plane or guys riding dogs or whatever, if only one army can use it? Better to make something everyone will buy.

And so for example in the BA video on the preview last week we saw Death company made from the new assault intercessors, rather than a new kit. No sign of new DA or SW units.

For me it’s odd that we have no drop pod or storm raven equivalent. The trouble with the overlord is that even if gw made one it would be enormous and not really suitable for 40K. But this leaves us with nothing on the table to represent the marines deploying from orbit, which is a really key part of their story.

Ultimately I think GW have shown that they’re not tied at all to just replicating old units, so I don’t think we’ll necessarily see a Primaris vindicator, whirlwind, devastator squad and so on. But equally I think they could come out with entirely new stuff like they have with units like inceptors, incursors, suppressors and so on.

I think they're taking the HH approach, allowing for a wide range of which to build the force out of. After that, they will do some wargear upgrades, unique units, etc. to build more character. I would say this is the superior approach, as although having unique units is important, having the ability to build a strong context for them to exist is more impactful than just throwing models at it. This means you can get most of the way there with a subset of the existing generic units.

I think they will just keep the drop pod as is. I think there are a few vehicles they will just retain.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

Several of the predictions I've made in the past would fit a "War in the Skies" theme:

"Oppressors" - appearing as a multi-build option with the Suppressors, armed with mid-range weapons but something packing more kick than the Reivers' Bolt Carbines. Finding a niche for them in a lineup that already includes Inceptors, Outriders, and Reivers could be a challenge though. And I may just be off-base about them sharing the Suppressor multipart kit as a lot of people might not see the value in paying three-man kit prices for a squad that doesn't have Gravis armor, Autocannons, or bikes. And they wouldn't have the Eliminators' funky camo cloaks, either.

"Shriekers" - melee jumpy dudes in Shrike-pattern armor. Cheaper than the above points-wise, but also appearing in 5-10 man squads.

Your inevitable jump-enabled Primaris Lieutenant (and maybe a Captain and/or Chaplain - why should just the bikers receive the Holy Word at High Speed?)

Primaris Drop Pod - I don't think they'll just use the existing kit longterm. I'd also bet on them introducing a plastic Dreadnought Drop Pod sooner or later, which may or may not just be a "high capacity" model capable of also transporting a squad of Outriders as per the Indomitus novel. And of course it will all mesh with the look of the Hammerfall Bunker.

Flyer - I mentioned the Overlord which was first mentioned in Dark Imperium, but I would have always bet on a proper GW flyer model coming first. This could be a multi-build similar to the AdMech flyer with transport/gunship/bomber variants or they may just do as with the classic line and give the transport its own (bigger) kit.

Primaris Hunter/Stalker - also likely a multi-build with the Whirlwind EQ that will get released as soon as they decide the world is ready for a Hammerfall turret on a Repulsor chassis. What goes up must come down.

Now do I think there's a high likelihood of all this happening in 2021? Not really, and even if I did, it would be advisable to keep in mind that I also thought 2020 was going to be the "Fast Attack" year. Among other things, I really can't see GW releasing two different flight-stand squad boxes in the same year.

But it is interesting that there so many of the classic units that haven't seen a proper Primaris analog are either airborne or anti-air models.

whats left?

everything.

-----------------

Assault variants:

- Phobos

- gravis

flight tech

- tacticus

- phobos

heavy weapon variants:

- las

- grav

terminators/upscaled/primiaris termies

- assault

- ranged

drop pod V 2

chapter variants!

veterans

- all 3

gravis dread

gravis tanks

---

I must say, this wave has got me to the point where I'm pretty happy with the options available to us, bar five things:

• Flyers
  • Indirect fire
  • Drop Pods
  • Jump packs
  • Terminators

Flyers? I'm not too sure what I'd like to see there, but the dream is something based on the Xiphon Interceptor, but with ground attack and AA loadouts.I  wouldn't miss Vindicators too much, the Gladiator Valiant providing A LOT of close-quarters oomph (though I'm well aware it's more of a Predator Annhiliator replacement), and Hunters/Stalkers are covered by the new AA Storm Speeder, but Whirlwinds and Thunderfires could really do with some sort of Primaris analogue. I don't mind if it's just one unit combining elements of the two, and if it's based on a Firestrike Turret or Impulsor chassis, but I think we need something in that role. An updated Drop Pod (or allowing Primaris to ride them) is a must, given how iconic they are. I don't think Terminators need new fluff - just upscaled, slightly modified suits to fit the newer, slightly taller marines - we already know these relics can be adapted to the user as necessary. Jump packs feel like an area where there's been a string of missed opportunities - I really like Inceptors, but Suppressors still don't look right to me, and Reivers wouln't feel like such a waste of time if moved to Fast Attack and given proper jump packs rather than just Grav Chutes.