Lion El'Jonson's Color Scheme

jbaeza94

Hey guys, really considering getting the lord of the first but im in a bit of am impasse on how to paint him.

On one hand, classic black scheme. Black, and bone.

On the other hand, it wont meld with the rest of my marines. Now i know he isn't a playable character, but some aesthetic cohesion would be cool. Would you guys paint him in da green/successor colors? Or should he stay black?

Jbaeza, you could perhaps paint him 30k style but paint a section of his armour in your 40k scheme, that way he 'ties in', might be as simple as matching the robes colour or the chest plate.

I often follow this approach, my DA 'wings' all share red as the weapon casing colour and my Master's and LTs all have headdresses or wings...

Hope that helps

Paint him how you want.

He has some details that should help blend him in, like the big green cloak. Otherwise, if you want to do green armor, go for it.

I will be painting him to go with my 30k force, so I will be sticking with his shown paint scheme.

When in doubt, always remember the 1st rule of modelling:

It's your model so paint it how you like! :smile.:

The Great Crusade lasted 200 years and many Primarchs were shown to have collected (or constructed) impressive armouries in that time. I would be willing to bet Johnson had more than one suit of armour.

His armour is black, silver and gold/bronze. :yes:

He's only ever been shown in green armour once, and that was before they decided the Dark Angels changed their colours after the Heresy, when Lion was already missing, so that image shouldn't be taken as canon.

But, your model, your paint scheme.

I'll be painting my in my successor chapter colors, Bone and Green with red and dark silver accents.

Depending upon how easy it is for me to remove the Night Lord icons from the base, I might paint the models on the base black with Dark Angels Icons.

You could also go for black but use a green hue for highlighting the black. (or any other hue depending on your choice of color)

I think mine will look pretty standard.

That is an interesting idea.  I've seen some cool examples of contrast over a metallic base coat.  I'm now curious what a model would look like with black contrast over a green base coat.  Or if it would work better with a green contrast over black.

Green contrast over black won’t work as it relies on a lighter undercoat to ‘stain’ with the new colour. You could experiment with a bright green like warp lightning and a black contrast over the top though

I am experimenting with the green contrast over a black undercoat and it I am very happy with the results so far. The result is very dark but the green is visible and as far from the salamanders marines as I can.

Green contrast over black won’t work as it relies on a lighter undercoat to ‘stain’ with the new colour. You could experiment with a bright green like warp lightning and a black contrast over the top though

I am experimenting with the green contrast over a black undercoat and it I am very happy with the results so far. The result is very dark but the green is visible and as far from the salamanders marines as I can.

When I pitched the idea to the local GW manager, he told me that he hadn't tried that yet.  But at one of their last company trainings he saw a White contrast over Black.  He said that the effect was really interesting.

That got me think about the technique I used when I first started painting.  I would prime black and then dry brush the whole model with Space Wolf Grey.  Then if I painted red or tan or another more transparent color over that, the basic highlight and shading was done with one step.  I could then hit the highest ridges and/or deepest crevices and I would have 5 levels of gradient in 3 steps.

I haven't tried it yet, but using white contrast over black followed by another contrast layer could have a similar effect with really bright sections flowing into extremely dark sections.