Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Need old username to log in.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Axineton

Axineton

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,835 posts

Just wondered if this was a bug? I login with my old username and current password. How come I can’t login with my current username? It’s not a massive deal in the grand scheme of things just odd. 

Marshal Loss

Marshal Loss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,755 posts
  • Faction: Emperor's Children

Not a bug: your "display name" (Axineton) is different from your account name (username). One is public & the other is not , it's for added security

bRxSYDV.png

Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch

Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch

++ CRUDIOR ÆTERNO ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 1,371 posts
  • Faction: Space Marines, Necrons
You can have your username and your display name be the same thing, especially if you do that when you register. When you change your display name that does not change your username. (Matter of fact I’m not sure you *can* change your username without talking to an admin.)

Dosjeska: But then again we are Iron Hands, we will use a hammer as a scalpel. Ace Debonair: Loyalists bow to The Emperor, Heretics bow to their Dark Gods, but everybody bows to Captain Semper. Brian Blaire: Bolted for emphasis
There are 4 boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order. -anon [][] Laus Alit Artes-Praise Nourishes the Arts
gallery_77459_13226_2824.pnggallery_4664_12529_16642.jpgDawn Blades Iron Gauntlet Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch's Workshopgallery_26154_15777_16051.png
Dawn Blades: W/L/D: 2/9/1 wh40k 8th 0/0/0 Kill Team
Naculan Dynasty: W/L/D: 0/0/0 wh40k 8th 1/1/0 Kill Team

Brother Tyler

Brother Tyler

++ FIDELIS MILITUS ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 22,966 posts
  • Faction: VIIth Legion
Correct, the user name (occasionally called the login name) and the display name are two separate entries in the database. When you create your account, you can check the box to make them the same, in which case the software will automatically copy the user/login name to the display name. Alternately, you can have the two entries be different.

When your display name changes, the user/login name isn't affected. The admins can change the user/login name, but there needs to be a good reason for the change.

When the software is upgraded, the user/login name and the display name will be the same - so you won't experience this "problem" after the upgrade. That's going to happen SoonTM (probably not before 6 months, though sad.png ).

+EDIT+

Here's some information we have posted for prospective members. You can only see this when you're not logged in, so I'm quoting it instead of linking to it.

User Name
This is the primary name associated with your account and is the name that you will use (along with your password) to log in. User Names must be unique (the system will notify you if you attempt to register a User Name that is used by another account). User Names must be 3-26 characters in length and may use letters, numbers, special characters, and spaces (i.e., you don't need to use underscores unless you want to). The User Name that you choose may not be changed.

Display Name
This is the name that is shown to other members on the site and is the name by which you will become known. Display Names must be unique (the system will notify you if you attempt to register a Display Name that is used by another account). Display Names must be 3-26 characters in length and may use letters, numbers, special characters, and spaces (i.e., you don't need to use underscores unless you want to). Your Display Name can be the same as your User Name. When registering your account, there is a checkbox to exercise this option (i.e., you don't have to type the name in again). Display Names may be changed by the Administrators if they lead to confusion, if they masquerade as GW employees, or if they are offensive. When you pick your Display Name, pick it as if it will be permanent. We occasionally allow members to change their Display Name, though the occasions on which we do this are rare and are usually tied to larger events (site anniversary, major overhaul to the site, etc.).

gallery_26_548_13550.pnggallery_26_6416_0.gifgallery_26_548_4494.pnggallery_26_6416_0.gifgallery_26_6764_14592.pnggallery_26_6764_3621.png

Axineton

Axineton

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,835 posts

Thanks chaps. I didn’t realise I had a username and a display name but now consider me informed. 

Quixus

Quixus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,266 posts
  • Faction: To be decided later

(Matter of fact I’m not sure you *can* change your username without talking to an admin.)

IIRC At the time when the forum was opened to Xenos factions, there was a time window where you could change your display name freely.

gallery_48988_16308_29741.pngsml_gallery_48988_16308_4210.png

Dosjetka

Dosjetka

++ TUTATOR MONTEM ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 13,741 posts
User name =/= display name

There have been a number of occasions when the Admins have allowed people to change their display name within a certain time period.
  • Quixus and Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch like this

gallery_45765_15430_13020.pnggallery_45765_15430_13241.pnggallery_45765_15430_20687.pnggallery_45765_15430_11578.pnggallery_45765_15430_1287.pnggallery_45765_15430_34763.pnggallery_45765_15430_18580.pnggallery_45765_15430_18989.png

Urauloth

Urauloth

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,281 posts
  • Faction: Death Guard

The admins can change the user/login name, but there needs to be a good reason for the change.

If you had a reason to request this, how would you go about it?

Its lonely cry comes shivering through the dark,

As beasts roar at the great biting flames,

"Blessed are the chains that bind him to the darkness

and cursed are the blades that leave him lame"

Brother Tyler

Brother Tyler

++ FIDELIS MILITUS ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 22,966 posts
  • Faction: VIIth Legion

A PM to an admin would work.

gallery_26_548_13550.pnggallery_26_6416_0.gifgallery_26_548_4494.pnggallery_26_6416_0.gifgallery_26_6764_14592.pnggallery_26_6764_3621.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users