Gattopardo's Titanicus - Legios Astorum and Vulturum

Gattopardo

Interesting thoughts, thank you. Maybe I should just go with the double Sunfury Warlord. I like the Sunfury a lot as it's got reasonable utility against shields without pushing the reactor, can be fired on maximal to crack something open and can then do targeted shots. So it's good in almost all situations (the drawback being the mediocre range). It's hard to see how the Belicosa can possibly be better in a list that's going to be moving up the table.

I've watched a fair few battle reports where people opt not to fire their belicosas, which seems problematic given that it is the most expensive gun, mounted on the most expensive chassis!

Edited by Gattopardo

Double sunfury is fine. I marginally prefer sunfury and macro gatling, as the gatling is better for shields and targeted shots.

The quake cannon is always an option actually. It sounds wrong for a titan that's advancing but it's cheap and it doesn't require heat. The quake and concussive effects cause the enemy a lot of issues.

And of course there's always the Claw.

• 5 months later...

So, it's quite a while since I updated this! I haven't been totally ignoring my titans though. I've actually managed to play a few games, which has influenced my thinking a little bit my list construction, in particular for my Vulturum. 

I've been doing a bit of painting as well - although progress is fairly slow. Both of the Astorum warlords for my Regia maniple are now tabletop ready but still with quite a lot of detailing and refinement to do - mostly weathering. I've also made a bit of progress on my Vulturum, and this Warbringer, the Stercorarius, isn't too far off being finished now. I just need to add weathering and battle damage, finish off the base, and finish the details on the weapons and tilt shields as well as tidying up a few other bits - like the Xana techno-runes (or whatever they are) on the legs. There's some work still to do on the trim, as well (isn't there always!). Though the recipe for the trim is pretty simple for this scheme - base coat vallejo silver, then shade with GW contrast corvus black.

I'm quite happy with it overall. The tilt shields are not actually glued on - partly because I stupidly didn't realise that if I stuck them on, they'd cover up the decoration on the carapace armour! I think, however, that they'll look ok if I glue them where they are in the pictures below - what do you think?

51147563812_ba6d168ca8_c.jpg

51147563832_10db19c3ee_c.jpg

51149347085_33a1c68bc7_c.jpg

51148468628_3d636604b2_c.jpg

I originally messed up the metallics on this titan and ended up stripping it and starting again, I have to say I'm pleased that I did, as I think they've turned out well. Makes it feel worth it to have done so, despite how frustrating it seemed at the time.

C&C very welcome. I'd particularly welcome views on the tilt shields - they're not finished - but do you think I should keep them, even in the "wrong" location they're currently in? I feel I should, as they add a touch of colour which is important to the largely bone-and-black scheme. It's also the only place on the whole titan that has the Vulturum symbol.

Edited by Gattopardo

Thanks all

The freehand is very nice. Well done.

...and the cocked head seems "bird-like" to me.

Cheers Schoon, yes the "bird-like" head is exactly what I was going for. 

The tilted head and the unusual pose make the Stercorarius look deranged, moments from flying into a berserk rage and beating the enemy to death with its gun barrels. Is that your intention?

Well I'm not sure I was going for a deranged look! Maybe more slightly unhinged...

Yeah, very nice work, particularly on the freehand, really sets it apart! As for the tilting shields, I think they look fine where you’ve put them. Without them I think it might look a little plain, and as you say, they add colour.

Thanks. Yeah, I'm going to keep the shields, I do feel they make a difference.

I've made a bit more progress on this and my other Vulturum engines - I've got some water soluble oil paints which I find are good for adding streaks and weathering without requiring the use of solvents. I'm sure they're not as good as "proper" oil paints but they're a lot easier to work with and far more convenient. The prospect of in-person gaming resuming soon has given me a bit of a push to get some stuff finished. I've also got a couple of Vulturum warhounds to do - I've finished the skeletons and have been putting off painting the armour, but I'll need them for gaming, so I'm going to have to get a move on.