Cornelivs Maximvs Allied Regiments

GreenScorpion

You’re so organised!

Better crack on with the backlog!!

One of the reasons I started taking photos of assembled minis was because I somewhat lost track of all the minis I had assembled (and partly painted in some cases) before the move to Ireland, because I stuffed them in a box and I have no idea, other than my potentially flawed memory, of the entire contents of the box. I might get some surprises when I open it, hopefully only good ones. Photographic evidence and now this list will certainly help me keep track of my status and prevent me from derailing things in the future :smile.:

So which do you like more, painting or building? 

... Wait... that's nearly 2000 infantry models... Holy cow! 

Honestly I prefer building, but I like having painted models, so painting is a must. In the past painting felt like a chore, but with better brushes now and more experience, I have started to like it a bit more, although building is still my preference.

For reference, on the infantry, 62% of those almost 2000 models are built but only 9% are painted. For vehicles I have 85% assembled and 18% painted.

I had made some mistakes in the spreadsheet before, so it is slightly closer to 2000 infantry now.

The goal for this year is to bring the total percentages higher at a reasonable rhythm, which has been going roughly ok, but obviously the building part will always move faster than painting, but the important thing is that I am getting there.

I think I have stated a few times that I have lots of infantry, I think now we have the definitive proof :smile.:

I wonder how I will be able to do a group shot when I finally get the entire collection all in one place at a time.

For reference, I am not surprised about the numbers, I knew what I was actually getting into, but I was positively surprised by the amount which is built at the moment, I was expecting it to be a bit lower. Painting rates were mostly as expected.

On a slightly related note, I have primed the next batch of grognards yesterday and painted the long coats today. If I finish this batch soon, that will bring the painted infantry above 10% :smile.:

Edited by GreenScorpion

• 2 weeks later...

Another update from the front, things have not gone as planned, since I was called back to the family's house to take my covid vaccine.
I must say that it is good to have completed the vaccination, but it certainly hasn't been a pleasant weekend, especially with the fever yesterday, but things are getting normal now.

The anticipated travel home means I haven't finished painting the second batch of grognards, although I still built another box of afghans before travelling.
You can see the partially painted grognards in the back (extremely fuzzy as the camera focus point is far from them, but you can see the colours at least and they look the same as people do to me, when I remove my glasses :P ).

q6pvoYP.jpg

PbaUUok.jpg

lbA6Lr4.jpg

qfC2SEO.jpg

bUNpOsj.jpg

dQcQ89T.jpg

Cz9gIOH.jpg

Yc4Cmss.jpg

Despite the vaccination side effects, I still managed to prime some stuff yesterday, so I should have something painted by the end of the week.

Better than getting it. I caught Covid, back in April. I still have a loss of the ability to smell. I also have a Cardiologist, now which I would have preferred not to have. The heart throws a couple extra beats here ,and there.

That is bad. My mom has Arrhythmia (not covid related, as we have been able to evade it successfully thus far) and it is not something easy to deal with, although it can be managed in most cases.

Despite taking the vaccine I will continue to behave carefully as covid is far from over and my country has decided to open everything up for the summer, regardless of the high number of cases and the recent increase in deaths and people in the hospitals. Most people around here are expecting the vaccine to be some sort of myraculous solution to the

current problem and many take it just to be able to do reckless stuff. I just hope I can manage to avoid covid, especially with newer variants appearing regularly.

I hope you recover your sense of smell and that your heart problems remain within safe levels :)

Loving the choices you've made, and can't wait to see them all painted.

Thanks, it will take some time, but I have been making constant progress with my collection and that is all I can wish for :)

This Nurgle's rot is certainly far more persistent than I imagine all of us would care for. However, let's not digress too far and take the opportunity to paint more models :biggrin.:

Don't worry that is in progress. I noticed that I had no fully painted HWT when I did that spreadsheet analysis, so this week I have been painting 2 squads of them and 2 tanks.

No building this week, just focusing on painting a bit a day.

Infantry based on the Anvil Industry parts I bought a couple years ago should follow next week (while on the family home I have been clearing the backlog based on the place where things were stored, so content might not be entirely related in terms of when they were built).

The pile of unpainted stuff has been reduced a bit more this week :)

I painted 2 World War Toons tanks, current codenames Silver and Golden.

7TX4Fjw.jpg

3peLSlT.jpg

5tDHXo8.jpg

yDh8GOO.jpg

AEQHXsC.jpg

gKn18pn.jpg

I also painted 2 teams of Heavy Weapons, one to serve as artillery and another with maxim guns as heavy bolter equivalents.

8JlxFyC.jpg

dC67XZY.jpg

yl4IjOv.jpg

HXLqGBn.jpg

Next in the queue are some squads of infantry with anvil parts (same aesthetic as the crews of the heavy weapons).

Can’t beat a tank with entrenchment tools on the side!

Good progress GreenScorpion!

Meng's World War Toons tanks are really nice to build and paint and despite the cartoonish looks, the detail is certainly amazing.

To be honest they are an easier way to introduce model building to newcomers than GW's ETB kits, since it is all push fit as well and there was only one part on the porsche turret model that was a bit trickier to fit due to size (a bit difficult to do with fat fingers :D ). Some of GW's ETB kits have a few more difficult parts from my experience and have more fragile parts.

An update from the front, some more infantry painted, which brought the total painted infantry to roughly 10%

25 soldiers converted using Anvil Industry parts, Statuesque Miniatures female heads and some GW stuff as well.

The paint scheme is similar to the one I used for the HWT, but with different colours to represent the different sections.

0h6gQNw.jpg

xDhyJv6.jpg

BTNEcUW.jpg

LCzVxJQ.jpg

s13jm6N.jpg

More infantry already on the painting chamber (the cardboard box) currently waiting for the spray paint to dry.

Another update from the front, this week with some vehicles :)

First is the small converted flyer I have shown some posts ago, which will serve as some sort of fighter craft.

ZTEy88b.jpg

KjV82b7.jpg

Next is another of the world war toons tanks, this time one with the porsche turret.

nOrxUuR.jpg

sB6n1ID.jpg

8iChJPW.jpg

And finally a Mantic Hornet which will serve as one of my flying transports.

44qZo2h.jpg

5cza3ZL.jpg

HZwKduj.jpg

f0TAPmw.jpg

yqNTwfx.jpg

Next on the queue are some models which have been partially painted for too long. Hopefully I will be able to get them ready before returning North to my regular work location (remote working is likely to end soon since it is no longer mandatory by law, so I won't be able to remain with my family for much longer).

Looking at my oldest partially painted stuff made me realize how far I have progressed over the last years and also how nice are the details of the GSC models.

Another update from the front and one with a bit of a background story :)

My journey into building and painting wargaming miniatures started with a box of the GSC cult insurrection and 2 boxes of escher.

The story that motivated the building of my army was not yet the book that it later became, but it was mostly a story that I kept building in my head for several months, as I looked at GW models and debated whether or not to spend my hard earned money on them. Plans were made and discarded, especially because I was not very familiar with ordering online at the time and local gaming stores are difficult to find in my country. After a few months of indecision, it was finally in August 2018 that I bought the 3 boxes mentioned and started the entire backlog.

Two of the main characters in the books and in the foundation of my army are Cornelivs Maximvs, the leader of the former miners, gang members, former militiamen and many others, as well as Septimus Germanicus, the pyromancer that eventually became one of the most trusted advisors of Cornelivs. The nature of the force I was building went well with the mix of gear and weapons available in the GSC kits and given the gradual build up of the force, I decided to get different kits to represent different groups. The large GSC box was a nice investment compared with the prices of the individual kits and the goliath was always a kit that I found rather interesting, although the price is not particularly appealing. Overall the large box allowed me to represent the core of miners and mutants that composed the force following Cornelivs, while the eschers were meant to represent gang members from highly populated worlds and the original plan was to get a couple boxes of each necromunda gang to represent other gang members, but as the gangs kept being released I eventually gave up that plan, although I have considered it on several occasions since then.

Given the importance of Cornelivs and Septimus, one would think they were my first models, but actually the ladies came first and one of the box of eschers was built before I started with Cornelivs and Septimus. I reckon that starting with eschers wasn't exactly the best choice, but all things considered, I think it went ok. You can see Cornelivs on the left and Septimus on the right in the picture below:

7hPQ2H3.jpg

The first vehicle I bought and built was the goliath and it is actually a very nice model with lots of details, as well as several crew members that you can use both on the vehicle or as reinforcements for infantry squads (2 of the crew members were used alongside the neophytes squad). Lots of mistakes were made while assembling the goliath but nothing that would be noticeable on the final model, which is obviously great :)

Wk1F2vF.jpg

pXHz9v5.jpg

lIOAU4V.jpg

I have finished the rest of the models from the insurrection box today (except the 2 familiars), pending only the photographing of the finished models, which I plan to do tomorrow.
With that said, expect some more progress pictures here tomorrow or over the weekend :)

The next thing in the queue will be the grognards that I left partially painted up north.

The rest of the miners have been finished yesterday and I took the pictures today.

Aulus squad is specialized on drilling and placing explosive charges, being used mostly to open the way in to enemy fortifications or to sabotage important targets.

Aulus, on the left, was one of the miners from the same team as Cornelivs and due to his abilities, as well as the loyalty towards him, Aulus was given the rank of Sergeant and later promoted to Lieutenant. Rest of the squad is currently nameless. Given that I barely remember the names of some, my mom has suggested putting some stickers under the bases with the names, which is actually a good idea.

HXC6saf.jpg

Ariel's squad is mostly focused on close range combat and possesses several melee soldiers.

Ariel, on the left, belonged to the same mining team as Cornelivs and, like Aulus, she was given the rank of Sergeant and later Lieutenant. She is a very muscular woman and most of the warriors under Cornelivs demonstrate a mix of respect and fear towards her. From left to right: Ariel, Katya, Katarina, Olga and Julius.

nxb5vWM.jpg

From left to right: Quintus, Superbus, Gaius, Marcus and Gladius.

hi6QqpY.jpg

Flavius (spotter) and Setorius (gunner).

q9I3gwc.jpg

W24mkmb.jpg

Cassius squad is mostly focused on ranged weaponry and often supports Ariel's squad or other close combat squads.

Cassius, on the left, was also in Cornelivs team along with Aelius and both of them ended up on the same squad. Cassius started as a Sergeant and eventually became a Lieutenant, while Aelius was his Corporal and later became a Sergeant and his command.

Cassius on the left and the others are not named yet.

Z9WjzdT.jpg

Aelius on the left, with Flaminius on the right holding the seismic weapon and Antonius holding the heavy stubber.

I3HNaEP.jpg

You might have noticed some of the genestealer/hybrid heads being used as decoration on the soldiers built with the hybrid parts and they were used to cover or replace GSC symbols that came by default, as well as demonstrate the hatred towards the creatures that forced the miners to flee their original home world. With my limited skills at the time it seemed like a good idea and I think the results were satisfying overall.

The main enemy of the forces under Cornelivs, at the beggining, was a cult based on alien parasites, so this guy was built to serve as one of their enemies.

The helmet in the pile of skulls was slightly ultramarines inspired, given they are always ready to die for their Emperor :P (based on the amount of ultramarine casualties in bases)

tOGMEA4.jpg

YpW2OJP.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Things haven't exactly gone as planned since the last posts with some car issues and a few other things that completely messed up with what I had in mind.

I ended up leaving my paints and tools up north while returning back to the family home to handle some of those issues, which means those poor grognards are still waiting for the rest of the paint :(

Regardless of all the issues, I was still able to build some vehicles in the meantime, essentially finishing up the building phase for this kind of models.

As I have mentioned before, I have been compiling the information on what I have and on which status. At the moment the situation looks like this:

overall miniature status 05 09 2021

Notes: Converted means models built with extra parts/greenstuff and thus go beyond official box numbers, while Bought means as directly possible through the sprues with no extra parts. Built includes the constructed models regardless of belonging to Bought or Converted category, with Painted being the same but for painted models. Basing and Decals have not been considered in the current categories as that will be done at a later stage.

Now some pictures of the models that I have built this week, a total of 4 mantic striders (exoskeletons), 1 mule (ground transport) and 1 hornet (aerial transport):

yiXEC1y.jpg

ADYDysH.jpg

kUcOb5F.jpg

fNAQhHB.jpg

fLfeW47.jpg

y8lbF6k.jpg

MuAIwFj.jpg

CY4QASv.jpg

G2EPyVs.jpg

Additionally I have been able to continue experimenting with terrain, this time a bridge with no walls on the side or some sort of passageway between buildings. Wide enough for most transports and tanks I have lying around although it might need some reinforce supports for heavier stuff to be able to placed on top of it. It was made using some plastic that comes with some ice-cream, which contains some gaps that I have reinforced with modelling clay and that were covered with ice-cream sticks to give it the look of a wooden passageway. Strider base is 60mm for size reference.

ykFn7yq.jpg

wgN1f1D.jpg

ltQOtGs.jpg

Overall it was still productive week and I think the passageway concept worked rather well, although filling stuff with modelling clay is not exactly an easy process. Something liquid that I could use to fill the area up would likely work better, but most of those things are either soft or too fragile for what I had in mind. Will have to search for nicer alternatives.

Do you think others would be interested in knowing the details on how I built some of these terrain parts with reused materials? Perhaps I could make some sort of detailed tutorials if there was interest, although the science behind the entire thing isn't particularly innovative.

The work on terrain continues with some additional bridges/passageways being now built. The plan is to paint the plastic bottom as I do with the rest of the stuff and use some sort of coloured varnish to increase the wooden look of the ice cream sticks.

bas2Q8j.jpg

I have also worked on my large artillery cannons, which should be somewhere in this thread and I have filled up the bottom with modelling clay, reinforcing some of the connections in the process. It is still far from being done obviously and I guess it should look far better once painted, which given those things are still not in the same location as I am will still have to wait for another opportunity.

fiY3SDH.jpg

cAJJxbg.jpg

GDLON5E.jpg

Will be working on doing something similar to the other artillery cannons and probably continue with small terrain experimentation work until I reunite with my tools and paints once more.

As a side note, I have discovered that plastic glue works fine even after something like 20 years, which is certainly a good thing. I had to order some glue and the particular store didn't have what I have been using so far, but they did have Revell, which my brother had lying around from a time when he got some airplane models as a gift over 20 years ago. The model box came with a small glue container and its still almost full and gluing perfectly after so long, based on a couple test models I built with some difficulty due to lack of proper tools to remove parts from the sprue (things were broken in the process, nothing serious though). I guess we learn something new everyday.

Another update from the front, I have continued to work on the cannons, reinforcing the structure of the 3 other cannons I had built previously. They will need some fixes here and there, but overall they are starting to look like the desired result.

UcRv7gM.jpg

l2PNp7C.jpg

HBlWCJA.jpg

Smu0Xl9.jpg

V1YMAlv.jpg

FX1CYNG.jpg

Since the remaining modelling clay is not enough to make another passageway, I have decided to work on some of my mantic terrain, since the parts already come out of the sprues, which means I can build something even without my tools. The first thing I built is some sort of workshop or garage. The mantic mules fit perfectly inside and the striders are also able to stand inside the building without touching the ceiling. The barriers on the top are large enough to provide cover to human sized soldiers, as can be seen with the BSF guardsman I used as scale reference.

Some of the connectors work better than others, so I will likely need to fill some gaps before painting, in order to ensure it doesn't end up too "windy" on the inside of the building, but overall the modular methodology of the building blocks is quite useful and versatile.

VaDIiRc.jpg

f71WkHG.jpg

uO3llNs.jpg

FQBSBHm.jpg

AjFm05o.jpg

The next things on the hobby list should be some more buildings using mantic parts.

Hello again, I come bearing building photos again :)

I built some weapons that come with Mantic's building parts, as well as a tower that can be used to defend important areas. BSF guardsmen are used for scale reference.

n58czZ4.jpg

auWRPuR.jpg

v3IsC5A.jpg

eoocpgV.jpg

IlS4fL6.jpg

The next building in my queue is a small fortification similar to the first building, but with a tower rising from one of its corners (should have some pictures this week :) ).

After that I am thinking about building some sort of gate with short walls stretching both ways from the gate in the middle, since most of what I have left is not meant for walls and not floors, so something like a long wall is likely the best way to spend them, with some passageways along some of the walls and small fortifications depending on how it goes.

The guns look a little fancy for Imperial tastes, but I really like the buildings. Where did you find those?

It is one of Mantic Games terrain crate sets, in particular this one: https://www.manticgames.com/games/terrain-crate/sci-fi-terrain-crate/battlezones-sci-fi-terrain-crate/military-compound/

They have sets of different sizes (and prices), with normal and ruined versions in most cases. Doesn't come with instructions and parts are not shipped in the original sprues, in case that is a problem (they come in small bags and seemed to be relatively protected from the outside). It is hard plastic so normal plastic glue works fine and parts are quite tough so it should handle transportation well. It comes with connectors that allow it to be assembled without glue, but the holes/connectors might require some small clean up of excessive material for the connections to be strong without glue. Overall the terrain is good and versatile but won't fit the tastes of everyone.

Since they are from the UK, it might be difficult to get them in some countries at the moment, even though UK to US seems to go faster nowadays than UK to EU for some reason.