Cornelivs Maximvs Allied Regiments

GreenScorpion

Another update from the front, I have used most of the parts from the Mantic terrain set I have been using to make fortifications throughout this week. The remaining parts will likely be used for terrain conversions or if I ever get another set will be used in combination with those parts (will have to think about that in the future).

I have built a small fortification with a tower on one of its corners, which can be used as a strong point in the defences or as an isolated fortification.

JYaBYZN.jpg

hh3C07V.jpg

5TXFknS.jpg

BrqOId0.jpg

feVk3Hb.jpg

The majority of the spare parts were used to make a small wall surrounding a gate and a few small fortifications/barriers. Due to the lack of ceiling parts some of the walls are a bit far from 90º angles, but nothing extremely problematic in my opinion.

Given how well everything worked together in making a large fortification, I decided to take some photos of everything together in my hobby table.

3yzz5PA.jpg

hUBAtO5.jpg

nZNOHg0.jpg

cgJjMIZ.jpg

nKj4g4U.jpg

Tm9Kidw.jpg

TK5H6e0.jpg

w7xUqoq.jpg

9BIqCR7.jpg

PYiTA00.jpg

9H385c0.jpg

4Ujzy97.jpg

V70S556.jpg

uTfwDkm.jpg

t2v9lc6.jpg

iOlC2zr.jpg

ZflX6Jb.jpg

Jq5IQYZ.jpg

lQ6IDNq.jpg

The table is looking full at the moment :)

• 2 weeks later...

After several without painting stuff, finally an update with something newly painted :)

I have finished another group of grognards yesterday and have already primed the next batch to paint next weekend.

yEQfVNX.jpg

6pTDxfB.jpg

h4PlG4f.jpg

xyy9lQL.jpg

In the meantime I have been building and finished 1 box of Afghans and 2 boxes of Raumjagers to add to the growing paint queue. Next on the build queue is the last box of Raumjagers I have.

At the moment the number of fully painted infantry (counting characters as well) is 281 miniatures. Still lots of stuff to paint though, but it has been a successful year in that regard despite some issues :)

• 2 weeks later...

Another update with some more painted miniatures.

The last box of grognards I have built is now painted as well. You can see that while the scheme of painted areas is similar to the other ones, the colours are extremely different, representing different regiments from the same planet that could be operating in the same warzone.

XgYQCl1.jpg

LsDdXvO.jpg

BY3LQ4A.jpg

tJGoo32.jpg

Already primed a box of Afghans to paint next weekend, to help keep the progress going with the paint queue.

In terms of building, I finished my last box of raumjagers, built a box of WW2 US from perry miniatures (I like bazookas don't judge me :P ) and I am currently building giant spiders from wargames atlantic for the dwarvish cavalry (I am planning to build the spiders in one go and then build the dwarves to put on them as riders).

Yesterday I wanted to take a photo of what the 72 painted grognards looked like together, but the weather was too cloudy to get enough light (limited availability of directional lamps in here so the sun has to do for now). Today things were better, so here is what 3 boxes of grognards look painted up.

ueJy0CH.jpg

As you can see the colour schemes make them stand out from each other, making it easy to distinguish each of the batches of miniatures :)

When I get the chance to have all miniatures in one place, I really need to make an army shot. I think it would occupy a sizeable area already (just the painted stuff as I might need a bigger table for the full collection :D ).

We are getting close to Halloween, so spiders are certainly something you start seeing a bit more. I doubt these ones will be painted before the 31st, but at least I have built them.

The large spiders are still waiting for the dwarf riders to be assembled, but here they are in all of their greyish glory :)

ZeiTg36.jpg

TXgvAge.jpg

TXgvAge.jpg

QpXsoX8.jpg

Va3iH17.jpg

I have 3 more boxes of spiders to build before I start with building the dwarves. Shouldn't take long :)

Will these be rough riders?

Yes they will be rough riders but with dwarves rather than humans.

You can see an example of the concept with the test model I painted a few months ago:

https://i.imgur.com/Fj5ueaR.jpg

The small spiders and the bodies covered in web will serve as decorations for terrain or bases.

You might have seen this a few months ago when I was doing some experiments with cardboard from ice cream packages:

https://i.imgur.com/mzojdQV.jpg

I have reinforced the structure with added layers and made the sides look a bit better and more consistent. The part with the side walls is about 30cm long and roughly 9cm wide.
The connection to the road/building is about 7cm long on each side and can be used as some sort of ramp leading to the bridge itself.

As you can see in the images below, 3 infantry models on 25mm bases can easily fit side by side and the several layers of cardboard ensure it can support the weight of a few models.

Smaller vehicles and walkers should be able to cross it (if they are made from metal I wouldn't recommend crossing but they would fit) and overall I think the major part of the structure is done. I still need to add something below to serve as pillars and such, but that would depend on how I will use the actual bridge, so I might just put some bottle caps for now and extent the pillars later based on the use case.

kb1jPZD.jpg

fIwWIku.jpg

There are certainly some minor cosmetic issues here and there, but nothing major and most shouldn't be noticeable after some painting or the addition of decorations.

I might do a wider one for bigger vehicles from stronger cardboard to keep doing some recycling/reuse of materials.

In the meantime, I have been mostly building more spiders for my dwarf rough riders, but I also managed to do some fixes on the afghans I primed last tuesday. If all goes well, tomorrow I should start painting things that are not black :D

When you get you construction finished you might like to cover it with white glue and fine sand, this will provide a fair bit of durability when it's dried. And it will take primer and paint. 

Looks like that bridge is wide enough for a chimera? 

Keep it up! 

I will keep it in mind before finishing the bridge :smile.:

Based on measurements found online, the chimera is roughly 9cm wide, so it is the same width as the bridge itself, so it would likely get stuck or have a difficult crossing depending on the position of the wider parts versus the sides of the bridge, but a leman russ without sponsons would be able to cross.

I don't have any of my vehicles in this house, but I can check later what would fit.

Edited by GreenScorpion

Once upon a time in the white dwarf there used to be a lot of really good terrain tutorials.  I made some really tough buildings for the old City fight campaign some time between 01' and 05' so I guess 3rd or 3.5 edition. 
Heck you might find some of the old terrain book GW used to have second hand online. I have several myself!

Once upon a time in the white dwarf there used to be a lot of really good terrain tutorials.  I made some really tough buildings for the old City fight campaign some time between 01' and 05' so I guess 3rd or 3.5 edition. 

Heck you might find some of the old terrain book GW used to have second hand online. I have several myself!

I have seen some pictures of the 2nd edition of the wargames terrain book from GW (printed in 2003) and it really looks great in terms of tips, thanks for letting me know :)

This week I was able to finish building all of my giant spiders, so I started with the building the dwarvish riders, as well as the accompanying dwarvish infantry.
Some poses work better than others, but overall I am very happy with the result and they are certainly going to be a characterful unit went painted :)

yRf4Icy.jpg

RrSB5Ur.jpg

xJtCCHW.jpg

qfNBGio.jpg

FQ6sK7o.jpg

4yqpwGy.jpg

Not sure if you have heard about gaslands, but it is essentially a game about post apocalyptic cars running around with weapons and such.
While that game is a smaller scale, I have been inspired to do a few conversions of civilian cars and I am planning to something similar but closer to 28mm scale.
I saw some nice cars in a similar scale in a store while doing the weekly grocery shopping, so I choose 2 for some experiments. The plan is to put some soldiers within the one with the open top, perhaps making it a officer transport and for the other one (sculpting the seated models to fit there), the idea is to cover/blacken the windows and place a turret above the back row of seats, with a converted/sculpted gunner.

sGndsTx.jpg

tz7tMxP.jpg

I had hoped to have finished the 40 afghans this weekend, but it wasn't meant to be.

I have painted all of the different colours and managed to do the final corrections on 10 of them, but I still need to do the same on the other 30 and do the shading for all of the 40.
Likely still 2 or 3 hours more to get them ready, so hopefully next weekend I should be able to get them finished :)

I did prime the next batch of afghans to start with when I finish these ones, since I was not sure whether I would get appropriate weather to do so next weekend (with autumn weather finally approaching it make become difficult to prime stuff outside, but lets see how it goes).

For the post apocalyptic civilian car conversions, my plan is to attempt to have some of them equipped similar to what the GSC have with the ridgerunner ( https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/catalog/product/920x950/99120117015_GSCAchilliesRidgerunner01.jpg for reference), since the relative size of the cars is quite close to that vehicle and I actually like the concept of a light and fast wheeled vehicle with a main turret and some potential smaller weapons on the sides. Since the core of my force originated from a bunch of civilians, I think it makes sense for them to have some converted civilian vehicles as part of the rapid response teams. Hopefully the mental concept will match the practical result in the end.

Yesterday I finished building my dwarvish force. For reference this is how large it looks together (keep in mind that the contents of one box is not here, so imagine another set of miniatures for the full thing):

wY4mVm1.jpg

You can see on the image the boxes I have built ever since I started renting this house earlier this year. Only the 3 boxes on the first column on the right are currently painted.

I have managed to do the final corrections of 15 more afghans today, so tomorrow I should finish the remaining 15 and take care of shading the entire batch.

The overall status is going nicely despite the large numbers of infantry. Here is how it is going at the moment:

overall miniature status 23 10 2021 table

overall miniature status 23 10 2021 graph

The building backlog should be finished early next year assuming that nothing else gets added in the meantime. Afterwards I should focus mostly on painting and conversions of various types.

Another update from the front, now with some painted stuff :)

I was able to finish the afghans batch today, a total of 40 models, bringing the total amount of painted infantry to 344.

My simplistic paint schemes will never win me any painting award, but I am quite happy with the result, although dark stuff is difficult to photograph with just natural lighting, so I hope you can actually see something useful in the pictures :|

n6vVCyb.jpg

Nv6PNOH.jpg

7IxZiLM.jpg

7xhy7HF.jpg

8PHhNUY.jpg

RtEBAEt.jpg

KVdggUc.jpg

YKekEJI.jpg

Next weekend I should start with the next batch of afghans which is already primed and this evening I should continue moving through the build queue by building some WW1 germans to make my trench warfare experts (which will potentially roam some nicely done trenches in the future, whenever I make those as well :D ).

Your guardsmen look like Thuggee cultists from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. Was that intentional?

The dark clothes were mostly inspired by things I have seen and read over the years, so partially inspired by things like Indiana Jones would be correct, although red colours versus the black would be more adequate for those cultists, perhaps the next batch could be like that, I haven't decided yet :smile.:

Always impressed by the progress here! Doubley impressed by tracking spreadsheet :laugh.::thumbsup:

Thanks duz_ I have found out that keeping track of what is done and what needs to be done helps a bit, especially when my things are not all in one place. I am also using the spreadsheet as some sort of motivation to show how far I have come, even when progress might seem slow in some instances. Also I like colourful graphs and this is a good excuse to use them. The numbers and the photo of the 4 groups of mounted and on foot dwarves also made me realize that I need to take a group shot sometime in the future, but it will be difficult to find the most adequate space to do it :biggrin.:

Edited by GreenScorpion

As you might have noticed I have been on somewhat of a building spree and so in the last two days I finished building another box of miniatures. My local supply is down to only 7 boxes of infantry, so it should all be built before Christmas, giving me perhaps some time to focus on sculpting and converting on the evenings.

Today's box is the WW1 germans from Wargames Atlantic, which will represent a regiment focused mostly on trench warfare, that being the main reason why even the officer I built for this group is holding a shovel like a weapon :D (you know someone screwed up big time, when the officer gets a shovel to hit some enemies in melee)

XVR2LmK.jpg

Mt5FPq9.jpg

mYhThze.jpg

NTxSOZ4.jpg

h3ltkjR.jpg

Next on the build queue are 3 more boxes of the WW1 germans, which at this rate should last until mid next week (I know I have issues, but I also have a huge backlog :P )

I have finished building 2 more boxes of WW1 germans since the last post, but today I want to speak about something else.

While browsing another miniature hobby forum I noticed some interesting paper based flyer models which led to the origin of the layouts (https://www.genetmodels.com/ under "free stuff").

Since the flyers are in some cases large and complex models, I decided to start with something smaller, a 4 wheeled vehicle that should be roughly the size of the GSC achiles ridgerunner (the authors of the layouts have terrain, furniture and many kinds of civilian or military vehicles, which I might look into depending on how the experiment goes).

4x4 vehicle for papel model experiments

I already did a test print of the parts and my plan is to cut the paper and glue it to some cereal box cardboard to give it a little more strength to the parts (I will likely not use the cardboard on the areas that serve only to attach/close sections of the model, as those should be fine with just paper). This particular model doesn't come with weapons, but that is not a major issue as they can be added later. It should be simple enough for a test and I will be able to measure the effort and skill required once I conclude it.

If it works well, I might use several of the paper models to decorate the interior of my buildings, add some additional vehicles to my force or just do something fun :)

If I somehow become an expert with paper craft, something which given my past experience with assembling paper stuff might be unlikely, I also found that someone created the layout and instructions for a warhound and a warlord titan, but those would certainly take weeks or even months just for the assembly.

Given how the boxes have been built quite fast over the past few days, I should start with the paper experiments soon, lets see how it goes :)

I had been itching to try and sculpt the prototype gunner for the civilian vehicle I showed a few posts ago.

Obviously in my rush to attempt to prove the concept I made lots of mistakes, most of which I have already figured out a plan for improvement for when I do the next prototype.

I tried to do it completely freestyle, by using another miniature as reference and obviously that was a mistake :D

I have started building a skeleton for the next so that it won't have the same issues I had with this one.

Overall, it is not a complete failure and the torso actually resembles a torso, so it is usable, for now.

The gunner is a bit fat and one might think he would have difficulty in getting through the hatch, but that is not a concern for now, since the hatch still needs to be finished.

I could always argue that the gunner is fat because he has lots of armour as he exposed to enemy fire or that he is based on me and that is why he is a bit chubby, with the next ones being a bit more normal to represent my slow weight loss :D

iElAvpl.jpg

9ZaxmPW.jpg

sfpthbD.jpg

Qjae9sl.jpg

For a first attempt at making a full torso and not just covering an existing one, I think it could have gone worse.
Hopefully I will learn from my mistakes and make something nicer next time :)

You might be able to see some wip afghans on the background, they are currently all painted up with the different colours and next weekend I should do the fixes and the shading to finish them, which would mean another batch of 40 would be concluded.

The advantage of a 3 days weekend due to All Saints Day is that I get to have more time for painting :)

I was doing some math the other day and since July, just in the periods I was in this particular house, I have painted 112 infantry models, which is not that bad, considering how little I used to paint and how slowly things progressed on that front (I am still a slow painter, but more of a tortoise now, rather than a snail).

I really like the green stuff work you've done here! 

Thanks, I have already made some plans on how I will make the next prototype, hopefully it will look even better and if it does, I will attempt to make a copy of it using either blue stuff or a silicon mold. I have already ordered those things for further experiments, but I suspect those will only be carried out next year.

I have built all of the WW1 germans and placed them on the paint queue. Below you can see how 120 of them look supporting the dwarves I have built previously.

jjxfR1c.jpg

I am currently building the last boxes I have in this apartment (some ancient persians) and I am likely going to finish all boxes by end of next week, which means I will focus on the terrain, sculpting and paper model experiments after that (not necessarily by this order).

Today I have finished painting another batch of 40 afghans, but they were not dry when the light of day went out, so I should have some pictures tomorrow :)

The next batch is the last 40 afghans I have here and I have already primed them to work on them next weekend.

I feel like I have progressed a lot on my backlog since I have returned from Ireland, I hope I can continue working through the backlog at a similar rhythm because this has been extremely fun (although painting can still feel like a chore sometimes) and the progress is extremely noticeable by the difficulty I have in finding places to place the actual models :D