Grand Catalog of the Legiones Astartes during the GC v3.0

Indefragable

I'm very interested in Salamanders details. I've just picked up a force and the fluff is tricky - what with most/near all of them getting murdered at the outset.

Some of the Black book details suggest Vulkan honoured pre existing garrison promises and such, so I'm wondering if there are pockets of them around?

• 4 weeks later...

This looks like a really interesting idea. Good to see it take form.

Decapitation strikes were the modus operandi of Raven Guard be it lone marine, squad or even strike force. Think there could be an entry for them there.

I take directly from the FW Black books....so what's under each Legion's section is what FW themselves put there. There are some surprises for sure...

...which is part of the fun of it.

But note that it is Observed Strategic tendencies. So this is the type of missions and planning and thought processes that each Legion typified, or considered its comfort zone, especially at the Command level. The Raven Guard I would have to imagine were very much in the habit of tactical decapitation operations: taking out unit commanders or Sgts as a matter of practice, while the SoH and BA were about taking out the Faction commanders, aka the capital of the enemy nation/species. 

Yes, that's having our cake and eating it too. 

• 1 month later...

Further update: due to some life happenings like a new job, I'm super behind on this. That's the bad news. Good news is I'm just going to do it on a rolling basis rather than more grand batches that I was planning. Standby. 

• 1 month later...

Finally got v3.0 up, focusing on Exemplary Battles

Part 1:

Those who came first

A look at the two forces that are really the true templates for the Legiones Astartes. 

The I Legion, the Dark Angels, by their very nature were first Space Marines in service and were at once a template, testbed, and trusted warriors of the Emperor himself upon which the Legiones Astartes were originally based. The fact that other forces came to overshadow the I Legion in influence are more a reflection of the ambitions those usurpers than anything else. And of these “usurper” Legions, the Luna Wolves stood above the rest. From their first massed action from which they took their namesake, they proved themselves made of an aggression and ambition unmatched in the opening days of the Crusade. Traits that would only exponentially increase when they became the first Legion to be re-united with their genesire, the singular Horus the Lupercal.

1. Dark Angels
  2. Luna Wolves/Sons of Horus

Coming soon in v31.: The Trefoil Legions

• 2 weeks later...