Emperor's Children - Hobby Progress

It's taken me a long time to finally figure out this colour scheme and have gone through so many experiments and iterations, including stripping models and starting again but I've finally manged this:

50375572937_d892b8e1fa_b.jpgEC_CSM_001Front by Christopher Dean, on Flickr

50375572987_25eb9743b7_b.jpgEC_CSM_001Side by Christopher Dean, on Flickr

50375405091_e1966afc5e_b.jpgEC_CSM_001Rear by Christopher Dean, on Flickr

Good to see a warband take form, the effort was worth it as these colours are really nice. The purpley pink works great with your gold and the off white bolter complements well :tu: Base is simple but effective especially with the leaves, what's your basing method?

Looking forward to seeing more now you have your scheme sorted :D

Looks great and I'm glad that you've joined us in the Emperor's Children forum.  Love your purpley pink.  The only change I would make is that I think the bolter would look even better if it were highlighted up to white, as then it would contrast even more with the armour.

Any thoughts on a warband name or symbol yet? 

Good to see a warband take form, the effort was worth it as these colours are really nice. The purpley pink works great with your gold and the off white bolter complements well :thumbsup: Base is simple but effective especially with the leaves, what's your basing method?

Looking forward to seeing more now you have your scheme sorted :biggrin.:

I intentionally kept it bland and simple, and hopefully believable. It's static grass, dried tarragon and little seeds that look like leaves. All glued onto a fine sand base that was painted Rhinox Hide.

Looks great and I'm glad that you've joined us in the Emperor's Children forum.  Love your purpley pink.  The only change I would make is that I think the bolter would look even better if it were highlighted up to white, as then it would contrast even more with the armour.

Any thoughts on a warband name or symbol yet? 

Haven't really given much thought to the narrative elements yet. I've been primarily focused on the painting and collecting and aiming to get 500 points completed. I'm a horrifically slow painter but this first completed model represents a real breakthrough for me.

I really like the Emperor's Children because they can do something in every phase of the game.

Simple is often best, especially for bases - they're an important part of a scheme but not the main dish after all ;)

A goal is always a good thing and lore can come later (and be changed easily) so you've got a good plan. An army on the table painted up like this will no doubt gain the approval of Slaanesh :tu:

Just plugging away at it to get 500 points is a good idea.  I'm assuming you'll do an HQ and a couple of troops units so that you have a valid patrol?

BTW, which HQ choice are you planning on doing first? 

Is the guy above a chaos marine or a noise marine?  If the former, do you have any plans to do the latter? 

I wish I'd made a note of how I'd lit the previous model - these photos aren't as good. I've finished a noise marine now and I'm pretty happy. I haven't painted the lenses yet, I'm going to paint a few before I decide what colour to do them.

Somebody previously mentioned the bases so I added a bit more interest on them.

50435986216_9059c1a07d_b.jpgEC_NM_001Front by Christopher Dean, on Flickr

50435295928_d3ffddca07_b.jpgEC_NM_001Side by Christopher Dean, on Flickr

50436156262_e26541b4c1_b.jpgEC_NM_001Rear by Christopher Dean, on Flickr

I've got a couple of havocs and a chaos lord in the production line, I'm not painting squads at the moment. I haven't got my technique on the oil paint locked in so I'm spreading out the "first" models so when viewed as a whole the warband will hopefully look more consistent.

• 2 weeks later...

Amazing paint job, it really captures the spirit of the legion! Could you please share your recipe for that vibrant fuchsia?

Thank you, that's very kind. It's a blend of screamer pink and pink horror and then I've used violet oil paint to wash and shade it. I wanted them to look like the illustrations e.g more magenta than purple.

I'm not 100% happy with the process though. I've found the oils quite unpredictable. I love the colour but the results aren't consistent enough. I've decided to buy an airbrush - applying the blends with a brush has been time consuming and stressful. I'm not actually enjoying painting with a regular brush at the moment.

• 2 months later...

50803316532_203277931e_b.jpgRhino WIP 001 by Christopher Dean, on Flickr

50802456113_156a164c86_b.jpgRhino WIP 002 by Christopher Dean, on Flickr

Haven't been able to post recently as I have a new son. Hobby time has taken a back seat recently.

So I bought an airbrush and some new paints and wanted to share this work in progress - far more happy with it so far. It's not taken loads of effort and the results feel both vibrant and yet murky and dark. I've used Abteilung 502 oil paints to shade the recesses and lower half of the model. And it's not taken much time either. Maybe two, 1 hour sessions.