Grey primer

Greetings!

I'm about to start a new project with some Primaris Marines. I would like to paint them in the colours of the Red Scorpions and because of that I was considering to buy a GW grey primer (Mechanicum Standard Grey if I recall it correctly). Do you have any experience with it? Would you recommend it?

I work mostly with GW Chaos Black primer what never let me down, but I have some really bad experience with their white primer :sad.:  The hobby store from which I get all my stuff also sells Army Painter stuff, but I also had some bad experience with their white (that's why I dropped the initial idea of a Star Phantoms force...). I'm also looking for an alternative from the black primer because I want to paint some models in lighter colours and some fleshtone (like Repentia). 

Edited by TheDreadfulSagittary

Mech standard grey looks good, halfords spray I have a can of and tested out, but not used on a model - it's pretty good, though only a few £ less than GW spray.

If you want star phantoms, consider Grey Seer spray. It's just off-white, and you can give models a single coat of ulthuan grey to remove the contrast finish. 

Thank you all for the responses! 

Mech standard grey looks good, halfords spray I have a can of and tested out, but not used on a model - it's pretty good, though only a few £ less than GW spray.

If you want star phantoms, consider Grey Seer spray. It's just off-white, and you can give models a single coat of ulthuan grey to remove the contrast finish. 

Hmm, I did not take the new contrast primers in consideration until now. Aren't they any different from the rest of the primers?

Yes the contrast primers have smaller pigment particles and a couple other changes that help create a really smooth finish. You can definitely still use them under regular paint, the manager at my GW pretty much exclusively uses Wraithseer for anything he paints and I can tell you first hand that vibrant warm colors look exceptional over Wraithbone. 

If money isn't a problem then go for it but Mechanicus gray is way more expensive than it's worth.  I'm using Rustoleum and it's $4 a can, the other thing I'm finding is that it's easier to lightly spray something white or black first then spray it gray.  Going gray over gray plastic is hard to see :wacko.:

Do you have an airbrush? Are you willing to shoot stuff that has all the toxic stuff in it? Then you might want to consider this stuff...

c0EWavC.png

It does come in 1500 White, but I've never used it. However, I'm confident that it would cover flawlessly. Hands down, this stuff is the best primer I've ever used on styrene and resin. Also, they have a range called Mr. Color that I might explore if I ever consider doing a different colour scheme that needs something other than Black, White, or Grey.

But yeah... be sure to use good ventilation and a respirator when you're spraying it, but despite any joking I suspect that it's not really any worse than most rattle can primers so just treat it the same. "Huffing is really bad for you. M'kay?"

Yes the contrast primers have smaller pigment particles and a couple other changes that help create a really smooth finish. You can definitely still use them under regular paint, the manager at my GW pretty much exclusively uses Wraithseer for anything he paints and I can tell you first hand that vibrant warm colors look exceptional over Wraithbone. 

Thank you for the suggestion, I might give it a try. The whole contrast thing looks interesting, but I didn't give it a try just stick to my old habits :teehee: Maybe it would be time to try it out.

If money isn't a problem then go for it but Mechanicus gray is way more expensive than it's worth.  I'm using Rustoleum and it's $4 a can, the other thing I'm finding is that it's easier to lightly spray something white or black first then spray it gray.  Going gray over gray plastic is hard to see :wacko.:

You are right, it isn't the best, but as I wrote earlier I had some bad experience with white primers, and always using a black undercoat isn't that practical (and is boooring...). So I wanted to try out something new. 

Do you have an airbrush? Are you willing to shoot stuff that has all the toxic stuff in it? Then you might want to consider this stuff...

Thank you for your suggestion. Sounds interesting (and a bit dangerous :laugh.: :laugh.:

I don't have an airbrush but with my painting output it wouldn't be worth getting one... :sad.:

c0EWavC.png

It does come in 1500 White, but I've never used it. However, I'm confident that it would cover flawlessly. Hands down, this stuff is the best primer I've ever used on styrene and resin. Also, they have a range called Mr. Color that I might explore if I ever consider doing a different colour scheme that needs something other than Black, White, or Grey.

But yeah... be sure to use good ventilation and a respirator when you're spraying it, but despite any joking I suspect that it's not really any worse than most rattle can primers so just treat it the same. "Huffing is really bad for you. M'kay?"

I can confirm this stuff is delightful. I more or less exclusively use this for priming now.

Greetings!

I work mostly with GW Chaos Black primer what never let me down, but I have some really bad experience with their white primer :sad.:  The hobby store from which I get all my stuff also sells Army Painter stuff, but I also had some bad experience with their white (that's why I dropped the initial idea of a Star Phantoms force...).

You could also look into spray cans from art shops btw... There are some high quality alternatives to GW and the like...

Marco Frisoni covered it as well lately ->

c0EWavC.png

I use the mrBlack as a brush on and it works well for that.