Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Next week: Space Marine & Necron codexes + Silent King

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
205 replies to this topic

Karhedron

Karhedron

++ RENASCITUR EX MORS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,456 posts

Thats a very spicy price on the chaplain biker!

Indeed! Still want it though

Same here. Although at that price, I think my Blood Angels and Space Wolves may have to share his ministrations.
Sanguinius stood up, stretching his wings to their full extent. He flexed his hands. "I need no blade".
It was as though Sanguinius gleamed with pale light, his face white, eyes becoming blood-red, surrounded by the golden crown of flowing hair. Guilliman had witnessed glimpses of of his brother's wrath before, but had never seen the true Blood Angel unleashed. Sanguinius surged forward on alabaster wings, half a meter from the floor, whiteness streaming from him like flames.

BolterZorro

BolterZorro

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 813 posts

Yea if the GBPx2=CAD formula holds true then it's $58 before taxes for the chaplain and $53 for the turret. The scouts line up with the current $40.

The silent king being 200 is...yeesh, a hard sell for sure. Like I'm sure it's going to be a massive model with tons of details. But is it going to be equivalent to archaon? Because that's a huge model and has the about the same price point

The problem for such big miniatures is that it's often limiting the list building; strategically speaking, it offers some limitations also. Like most LoW, like magnus, mortarion, ... And I think that this one will even be worse in this aspect (more expensive in pts). I like the miniature but I'll skip it for now.

On the other hand, even if not the best of the best, I think that the doomstalker and the destroyer will have many usages in lists. The doomstalker by 2 in lists (even 3 if super good), and the destroyers by units of 3 (to be a minimum efficient).

• Detjan likes this

chapter master 454

chapter master 454

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,289 posts
  • Faction: Angels of Justice

So this marks the end of warhammer digital then for a source of rules and now we get forced to use their duct-tape and string app now? Or will there still be a digital version of the rules in an E-Pub format?

Tabletop models look great. Business Model looking shaky imo. However I suppose this is the true acid test for the app, if it flops here then it will just show how poorly they plan their digital line-up.

• Putrid Choir likes this

I Chapter Master 454, Chapter Master of the Angels of Justice, Warboss of WAAAGH Gubskul, Commander of a Catachan Regiment, Phaeron of a Tomb World, Shas'O to a Cadre and Princeps of a lance of House Taranis hereby pledge that I will not take up any further models til all other prior have been fully built and painted to tabletop standards. There is no time limit for this task, there is no deadline. My oath is to solemnly complete the armies I have now, to see it that they can have their glory. Paint will be stripped from the old in need, thick may it be like ceramite I will see it removed so that plastic and metal alike may see light of new paint. Models yet to be, boxed and in darkness will be assembled with due care and attention. For this task I am permitted to still buy the supplies needed to do my task but not one model more.

http://www.bolterand...one-model-more/ the thread to my oath. My own reminder.

http://www.bolterand...rk-in-progress/ my own chapter
"The objective of playing a game is to win. The point of playing a game is to have fun. Never confuse the two"

01RTB01

01RTB01

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,136 posts
Szarekh is $180CAD it seems that the "double the UK price" no longer seems to apply. Not cheap but wholly expected
  • SkimaskMohawk likes this
Signature not compliant with forum rules.
Hidden Content

Doghouse

Doghouse

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,029 posts

While it's great to see the new codex is finally there is no way I'm ever buying a special edition again.

• mithrilforge, Juggernut, Bryan Blaire and 2 others like this

Truescale MKIII Tutorial

01RTB01

01RTB01

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,136 posts

While it's great to see the new codex is finally there is no way I'm ever buying a special edition again.

I could understand if it contained a ton of different content but largely double the price for just a shiny cover doesn't seem to work. Or if it came with a load of gubbins it may be worth it. As it is, based on how quickly they become deficient (marines) I don't know why people bother with them at all.
  • Doghouse, Firedrake Cordova and Kobrakei like this
Hidden Content

Mandragola

Mandragola

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,104 posts

So this marks the end of warhammer digital then for a source of rules and now we get forced to use their duct-tape and string app now? Or will there still be a digital version of the rules in an E-Pub format?

Tabletop models look great. Business Model looking shaky imo. However I suppose this is the true acid test for the app, if it flops here then it will just show how poorly they plan their digital line-up.

It looks that way. Shame, as I like the enhanced edition codexes. it's cool how points costs update (eventually) with CA and stuff. I hope the app does in future too. Not having to carry a load of books around has been very nice. 

One good thing is that the app doesn't use up anything like as much space as the books do. My phone is full of codexes at the moment.

C+C always welcome on my Titanic Plog. Should really be painting Crimson Fists.

gallery_48988_15151_9524.pnggallery_45765_12339_6416.pnggallery_48988_16045_14557.pngsml_gallery_48988_16308_6255.png

Marshal Loss

Marshal Loss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,134 posts
  • Faction: Emperor's Children

I could understand if it contained a ton of different content but largely double the price for just a shiny cover doesn't seem to work. Or if it came with a load of gubbins it may be worth it. As it is, based on how quickly they become deficient (marines) I don't know why people bother with them at all.

Wish they did it the way FW (ironically, given their prices) used to do limited editions, e.g. like with IA13. Release special editions simultaneously alongside the normal edition - only slightly more expensive (say 10-25% more), with a fancy cover and/or a slipcase + a poster. That's it. FW always sold out of theirs as well whereas many GW special editions loiter around the webstore for months at a time

Edited by Marshal Loss, 28 September 2020 - 01:14 PM.

• Firedrake Cordova, 01RTB01 and WrathOfTheLion like this

bRxSYDV.png

Emperor's Children 22ᶮᵈ Millennial

Sons of Horus 29th Company

Death Guard Warband: The Fourth Seal

Sete

Sete

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 10,933 posts

It looks that way. Shame, as I like the enhanced edition codexes. it's cool how points costs update (eventually) with CA and stuff. I hope the app does in future too. Not having to carry a load of books around has been very nice. 

One good thing is that the app doesn't use up anything like as much space as the books do. My phone is full of codexes at the moment.

Wait what? So I have to buy physical to have acess to a digital version? and pay 5 quid monthly on top of it, because of their dumbass app?

i just want a digital version, what options do i have then?

Edited by Sete, 28 September 2020 - 01:22 PM.

WrathOfTheLion

WrathOfTheLion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,744 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels, WB & SW

If the LE book is 2x the cost of the book and are now $100, only like $20 more will buy the leatherbound Book 7: Inferno. The build quality difference and content difference at that point is just too much for almost equivalent prices.

• Marshal Loss and Gederas like this

sml_gallery_48988_16308_4210.png

01RTB01

01RTB01

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,136 posts

Wait what? So I have to buy physical to have acess to a digital version? and pay 5 quid monthly on top of it, because of their dumbass app?

Fairly certain they'll keep the digital versions. We'll know Saturday. Pure speculation that there won't be. I'll miss the Epubs if they go...
Hidden Content

Reinhard

Reinhard

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,400 posts

Rapid delivery service of pronouncements of "According to this, you're a heretic", you will be mine

• Dark Shepherd likes this

MistaGav

MistaGav

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 383 posts

Removing the digital only versions and having everything through their app must be a move to prevent the piracy.

• Dark Shepherd likes this

grailkeeper

grailkeeper

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 806 posts
  • Faction: Vylka Fenrika

Here is the unblurred version of that photo we've been waiting for some time. 5CLugDWu7IiAL4Rd.jpg

• Prot, Loquille, Petitioner's City and 9 others like this

Sete

Sete

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 10,933 posts

Fairly certain they'll keep the digital versions. We'll know Saturday. Pure speculation that there won't be. I'll miss the Epubs if they go...

I hope so!

Marshal Loss

Marshal Loss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,134 posts

New article out

The biggest and best-ever edition of Codex: Space Marines is up for pre-order this weekend, and over the coming days, we’ll be taking a peek inside its covers to showcase some of its most exciting features. Today, we’re looking at the Chapter Tactics for the First Founding Chapters and their most famed successors, and how you can even choose your own Successor Tactics using the new book.

5CLugDWu7IiAL4Rd.jpg
First and Foremost

For the first time, the new codex includes Chapter Tactics for all nine loyalist First Founding Chapters, as well as the Deathwatch and those successors whose renown almost rivals that of their parent Chapter:

X50bhFZq7wj7EHF6.jpg

Even though the names may be familiar to many of you, some of the Chapter Tactics have undergone subtle changes that really help to hit home the character, attitude and fighting methods of the Chapter. Take the Space Wolves, for example, whose hunger for glory and ferocity on the counter-attack are legend. The new Chapter Tactic means that now it’s not just their Characters who can make Heroic Interventions, but ALL of their eligible units!

bepj1d7QS0dSPrvh.jpg

Meanwhile, the Blood Angels are notorious for their barely-controlled bloodlust, but it’s not just about their killing fury when in combat – they’re also chomping at the bit to get there in the first place!

VDv5LYb7MOWHgiYD.jpg

The Dark Angels may be a secretive bunch, but one thing they never hide is their stoic determination in battle and martial prowess when their feet are planted.

erDHDjYvZeCTUXGH.jpg

Pick ‘n’ Mix
SM_BuildOwnChapter-Aug14-Image5c.jpg

That’s not all – if you’ve created your own Space Marines Chapter, you’ll be pleased to know the new codex includes full rules for creating your own Successor Tactics, too. All you need to do is pick the two Successor Tactics that best identify the character or play style you have in mind from those listed, and boom – instant Chapter Tactics! Here are a few examples:

If you like purging heretics from afar, try this combo…

Vq0fugaazLkVmS2u.jpg

ueJAnp9386Zoz0nD.jpg

…Or if you prefer a more ‘hands-on’ approach…

W8xThfcijLVzTfbe.jpg

XHrAXG3uXTxnAwat.jpg

• Prot and ShibeKing like this

bRxSYDV.png

Sandlemad

Sandlemad

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,323 posts

Oh yeah, that's the photo, isn't it.

So the white-helmed dudes in the back, just behind the ruins above the techmarines: veteran intercessors? Very grainy at this scale but they look more or less like they could have been made out of the regular kit.

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 21,121 posts

BIG buff to the DA there!

• Karhedron likes this

Grand Master Laertes

Grand Master Laertes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 571 posts
  • Faction: Incaladion Adeptus Mechanicus

you don't have to pay for the app to use it to have the digital version of your codex

• Sete likes this

Sete

Sete

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 10,933 posts

you don't have to pay for the app to use it to have the digital version of your codex

Ok, now i can behind this! cheers

Edited by Sete, 28 September 2020 - 02:33 PM.

solarisqc

solarisqc

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 200 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angel

BIG buff to the DA there!

Yes and no

It's a buff for melee unit but for all plasma unit it's a realy big nerf, no more plasma dev siting in alone without a captain to babysit them, plasma pistol in melee can't be overcharge at almost no risk. Signum is useless for devastator, there is many instance where the new tactic is useless for us and with the new ''CORE'' keyword, out tactic is also useless for almost all character, you will never see a DA master overcharge his pistol or combi plasma...

I just hope the DA supplement in 4+ month fix plasma for us because now, many chapter have better stratagem than us to help plasma unit.

combat attrition? i don't remember the last time I see a single marine flee in 9th.

Borbarad

Borbarad

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 255 posts
So how does one read the DA tactic? By ‘attack’ do they mean both melee and shooting or just melee (when being attacked)?

WrathOfTheLion

WrathOfTheLion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,744 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels, WB & SW

They mean both, hence why it mentions pile ins, etc. as well. It's a big change, because previously it was explicitly restricted to only shooting, making it almost entirely worthless to Deathwing, etc.

This is much better, because it aids both thematic sides of the army. Yes, we should have plasma, but the DA are knights of Caliban and should have swords and do melee as well.

• Black Blow Fly, Gederas, Angel of Solitude and 1 other like this

sml_gallery_48988_16308_4210.png

Marshal Loss

Marshal Loss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,134 posts

Now the Necrons turn:

Rule Them All

The new codex features Dynastic Codes for six Necron empires, including the Szarekhan Dynasty for the first time, along with options to create your own.* We’ll be taking a closer look at those rules tomorrow.

Today, we’re focussing on the range of rules and army-wide abilities that benefit your force regardless of which dynasty they belong to. For example, Reanimation Protocols have always been a huge part in the way that Necron armies play and they have undergone a slight change in the new codex. Your Necrons can still come back from wounds that would take any other warrior out of action, but now you roll when models are destroyed rather than at the beginning of your turn.

WJS2ftLFpZqA0PsV.jpg

This change means that if your opponent wants to prevent you from making any Reanimation Protocols rolls, they’ll have to wipe out your unit in a single attack, which for most Necrons units is easier said than done!

Something brand-new for Necron Overlords to unleash upon the galaxy are command protocols. Before a game starts, you secretly assign one of the six protocols to each of the first five battle rounds. Then, when you reach the relevant battle round, you choose from one of the two directives associated with the protocol to be active for that round and any unit within 6 inches of a Necron Character can benefit from it.**

eBWJoAdP7cHFeiQb.jpg

For example, you could select Protocol of the Sudden Storm to be active in Battle Round 4, which you could then use to make a last-minute dash to claim an objective or perform an action AND still use your ranged weapons.

H6Sf1uG0uuZD49nP.jpg
The command protocols offer some exciting tactical options to your Necrons army, and they’re flexible enough to ensure that there will always be a directive that you can take advantage of.

Robotic Reinforcements

It’s not just been the Overlords coming up with new schemes to reclaim their rightful domain – the Crypteks have also clearly been busy, as there are tomb-loads of new units for your Necrons army.

kJSmYMYpeWBlqQNr.jpg

They say that quantity has a quality of its own and that’s especially true when you come armed with six(!) guns. Hexmark Destroyers were once Deathmarks, but now go into battle carrying multiple enmitic disintegrator pistols. 

lu92dhFonWHONAj1.jpg
As if six shots isn’t enough, they get to fire more when they take out an enemy model.

P0zxanPUhL1Iweuz.jpg
We hear that the Kelermorph has asked to postpone its planned duel with the Hexmark Destroyer…

lCxaY1E49VCBnNkq.jpg

While not technically a new unit, the Monolith is getting a new model and has had enough of an improvement that Overlords will almost see it as new. Not only does it have an additional four wounds, but its weapons have also undergone an upgrade, and there is even a new option – the death ray – which you can take in place of the gauss flux arc.

1Krr7ufv8WOWi70p.jpg

Enemy units won’t want to go anywhere near these fearsome floating pyramids.

1bpx4TPgk1jpwVuj.jpg

It’s not every day that an actual god (or at least the shard of one) takes to the battlefields of the 41st Millennium. With the addition of the C’tan Shard of the Void Dragon to Necron forces, there’s a massive shift in the galaxy’s power dynamics. As you’d expect from the fragment of a Star God, the C’tan Shard of the Void Dragon has impressive characteristics.

3CAJL8knZHO0yR8T.jpg
When you combine that profile with the power granted by the Spear of the Void Dragon, this C’tan Shard will be easily cutting its way through enemy units in the name of its Necron enslavers.

OegsoLs5KnUsWgcj.jpg

The C’tan Shard of the Void Dragon also has two abilities that make it extremely difficult to kill. Its Necrodermis lets it shrug off god-killing levels of punishment.

nvUj7kqQSlgqAI9U.jpg
Meanwhile, its Matter Absorption rule means that this fearsome entity can devour the very essence of destroyed enemy vehicles to keep itself fighting.

cqBbUw4OTzR89Z7q.jpg
With devastating attacking power and incredible defensive abilities, the C’tan Shard of the Void Dragon is a perfect fit for almost every Necron army.

• mithrilforge likes this

bRxSYDV.png

Triszin

Triszin

++ INTERFECTOR ROBUSTUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 7,022 posts
So da and wolves kinda pair well.

The knights and hounds.

+1 hit when static, +1 to hit when moving (essentially).
banana

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users