New article reveals our chapter tactic

Rune Priest  Jbickb

Maybe a better question might be this:

Is it worth losing ALL of the SW special characters? No Ragnar, no Bjorn, no Murderfang, no nothing.

I don't understand your question. Why would we lose those?

If you say because they aren't in the codex, then I'm sure they will be in the supplement.

I think he means if we go the successor route.

Those strata for whirlwinds and landspeeder storms sound interesting

Exactly. Successors can't take parent chapter characters without a 2nd detachment and auras not working with everything.

I really dig the land speeder/ whirlwind combo! A LS with multi melta is 70pts, take 2 in 2 slots and you have great vectors for +1 to hit Whirlwinds, and a pretty useful disposable vehicle to throw in the opponent's lines alongside the usual suspects.

Edited by FabulousRex

Is it worth losing ALL of the SW special characters? No Ragnar, no Bjorn, no Murderfang, no nothing.

I eould say yes/its tolerable...depending on successor trait combos

You can make some awesome characters with free reign over warlord traits, chapter command, and relics

You can make some awesome characters with free reign over warlord traits, chapter command, and relics

I think the old Razor Wolves could really benefit from successor traits. I want to run 13th Company with Stealthy on occasion to emulate my 2005 metal Wulfen army.

Is custom characters a thing? Would love to build a true warrior of a jarl. I'll most likely do a custom character for friendly games.

Is custom characters a thing? Would love to build a true warrior of a jarl. I'll most likely do a custom character for friendly games.

Well as in you take generic wolf lord from the codex and give hin whatever wargear, relic, and warlord trait that you want

Probably going to be the same. The old chapter supplements are supposed to be valid still.

I wonder how many Characters you could pack into a standard Battalion, 2 WGBL per slot helps. The Chapter Champion looks pretty rude as well. 1 or 2 Judicars gets you alot of 6" HI Characters if you go that route.

Probably going to be the same. The old chapter supplements are supposed to be valid still.

I wonder how many Characters you could pack into a standard Battalion, 2 WGBL per slot helps. The Chapter Champion looks pretty rude as well. 1 or 2 Judicars gets you alot of 6" HI Characters if you go that route.

Unless theres a strat in our supplement HI is down to 3' for us.

Tempormortis only has a 3' range now too.

Unless you were adding both up :)

You can create your own characters but that is a valid concern. I'm too much of a fluff player to not take those characters.

Give respect 1st. When you disagree, don't make absolute statements. Acknowledge that you might be wrong. I think the HI trait will suit my playstyle, but acknowledge that it has limited effectiveness and takes more effort to make it work at all.

I think it's a high skill ability. Reaction moves outside of your activation are incredibly powerful, but usually have difficult triggers. Learn the application, try it on the table or watch others use it before dropping THE TRUTH.

It only seems less effective because those Successor traits have already been kicking butt for over a year.

You mean like in a previous post where I said this rule will play out somewhere between my skepticism and others unbridled enthusiasm?  You realize your words apply to you as well? Acknowledge that YOU might be wrong? 

No one is going to convince anyone otherwise at this point. +1 to advance and charge or +1 to wound in melee are tangible always on traits that don't rely on situational variables to go off in order to even be used let alone effective.

First of all those getting heated need to take it down about 20%, we’re all brothers here and I expect everyone to at least not assume poorly of people when we disagree.

The thing to remember for everyone is the HI part while it has changed fundamentally, for better or ill, is only half of our tactic. Plus one to hit in melee absolutely changes a great many of “basic” units into deadly threats. There’s an argument to be made that we possibly have the best assault intercessors and veterans for astartes when you consider basic weapons and the WG strats with savage fury.

For now let’s maybe take a step back from litigating HI unless someone has some first hand application or we can do so calmly.

I hope no one feels they can’t share their opinion on here (seen people indicate they feel attacked), and insofar as I pushed back strongly against those complaining about the CT it’s because 1) I’ve seen a lot of SW players complaining about it and 2) I genuinely don’t see how they can think that.

I’m not trying to insult anyone’s intelligence, but has everyone who thinks this chapter tactic isn’t good been playing 9th edition? Again, that’s not intended to be a dig, it’s a genuine question. Ninth edition is all about scoring the primary objectives. It’s about controlling the mid-board which has always been a strength of the SW army.

Maybe we just have vastly different play styles, but since the beginning of 3rd edition I have always favored Troop-heavy armies. My predilection and current play style so far in 9th is to begin with Incursors on or near objective then rush up Intercessors (with TH) in Impulsors with Ragnar and a couple other characters to taste (supported by outflanking Aggressors and/or Eradicators, depending on the list).

If you want to hold objectives in 9th (which is how you win), you have to have either multiple units or really tough units (or both) camping out on an objective because they will be shot off. If you have two or three troops, an Impulsor, and a character or two in the vicinity of an objective, you will absolutely be able to use this chapter tactic when the opponent comes to contest it.

If we’re going to compare assault CT, I agree +1 to wound is better than +1 to hit, but I’d much rather have army-wide Heroic Intervention than +1 to advance and charge.

Your opponent doesn’t have to adjust the their entire game plan around +1” to charge; they absolutely have to adjust their game plan when they’re planning to contest or take over an objective controlled by a SW player.

I agree 100% with Bulwyf on the named characters position, they are too awesome and too central to my space wolf brain to leave out. That means having now to come up with unit combos that are cheap enough to have x3 and a means to get characters in to support them.

5xWG w SS and cc weapon

5xGH

Rhino to race them forward and take a few hits. This times 3 as a starting point? Interested to hear thoughts from those wiser than I.

Edited by One Two Wolf

Another thing to add, there's another strategem for whirlwinds that is highly relevant.

Its basically suppression, so you target a unit with a whirlwind and use the strategem. Until your next shooting phase, that unit strikes last in CC. If you use this to target a melee heavy hitter, it essentially does the judicar/AoR trick but with a 72" range.

Another thing to add, there's another strategem for whirlwinds that is highly relevant.

Its basically suppression, so you target a unit with a whirlwind and use the strategem. Until your next shooting phase, that unit strikes last in CC. If you use this to target a melee heavy hitter, it essentially does the judicar/AoR trick but with a 72" range.

And don't forget the best part: you don't need LOS with the whirlwind to target the unit.