Next AT supplement: Crucible of Retribution

Marshal Loss

Well, that's a stratagem that'll probably not see too much use. It's too costly and restricted to anything in a normal sized game, though as it applies to the whole battle group it can do you good if you have like 4000 points and expect to fail some of your Orders every turn.

It'll be interesting to see the rest of their rules & how that strat interacts. Right now it looks like a much worse version of Oberon's Decisive Action, but notice that it doesn't mention that the effect lasts "until the end of the phase" or anything. It may turn on free First Fire for a whole match?

I'm not sure how I feel about the color scheme direction vs some of the book cover appearances we've seen. I'm not big on Ignatum but I think if I ever did them I'd hybridize the schemes. I like this one in general but I can't unsee the left leg in a fishnet stocking.

That's actually a good catch. If it lasts the entire game, then that's a game changer in its usefulness. I just doubt that, because it doesn't say "for the rest of the game" either.

Edited by Sherrypie

There's quite a bit of debate about whether the strat lasts all game or not. It's kind of perfect that the first rule they show us from the book is so unclear. I think last time they previewed a knight household trait that gave a seneshal's banner the reroll 1s ability it already has, soon after bringing out a FAQ to fix a bunch of other households that had this useless ability. So they seem to use these previews to highlight things that they'd need to fix, if they actually fixed stuff.

First fire is not a particularly good order on turn one, usually. I find you're better off acting on initiative and getting position early on. Even titans that are going to be in range are often better advised to start moving.

So Ignatum have an unclear/bad ability. This brings them right inline with most other Legios. Fortunately, many Legios have abilities that do stuff, and maybe Ignatum will get some of those. Don't count on it though - they're reprinting Atarus in this book, unchanged.

I'm not sure how I feel about the color scheme direction vs some of the book cover appearances we've seen. I'm not big on Ignatum but I think if I ever did them I'd hybridize the schemes. I like this one in general but I can't unsee the left leg in a fishnet stocking.

I tell myself it's some sort of esoteric energy field but yep, can't unsee that now.

Overall it's like the hard mode colour scheme in a game with more hard mode colour schemes than most. Yellow and black in close proximity, a particularly rich red, orange to yellow gradients, hexagonal patterns of varying opacities, crinkled (!) hazard stripes... I suspect it would probably be more achievable if each titan had hexagonal patterns or hazard stripes predominating. Still intimidating.

Overall it's like the hard mode colour scheme in a game with more hard mode colour schemes than most. Yellow and black in close proximity, a particularly rich red, orange to yellow gradients, hexagonal patterns of varying opacities, crinkled (!) hazard stripes... I suspect it would probably be more achievable if each titan had hexagonal patterns or hazard stripes predominating. Still intimidating.

Well, luckily (or unluckily, because it's unavailable), the official transfer sheet did have those hex-stripes and hex-grids, so as long as you have a copy it's not too tough to get close to the art. The trim being black (or maybe a blue-black or bluish gunmetal) is a godsend compared to Vulpa or Interfector.

Without that transfer sheet or a 3rd-party alternative, though? Completely agree, that's a compulsive hobbyist's nightmare. I'm just going to pretend I didn't look closely at the black hexes on the shin plate and the way the outlines shift...

What looks like our sole preview article for the week

Legios

Tritonis (Blackshield)

0RZJQm1ZheWdjJ7E.jpg

lIPry3fWw22yGFpx.jpg

S2YxSubMHMmMaFJF.jpg

Venator (Loyalist)

kqfdmq1hPpo5140x.jpg

zspYdVJZGUZhTyfJ.jpg

IJpBKxnHM8Pa6cOx.jpg

Gatekeepers (Traitor)

bPlqCwasmnNnT2QN.jpg

phs2KZIMiWvTjAFI.jpg

0IIjDu2SMnMgOJTR.jpg

Maniples: Ignis, already seen

Knight houses:

You’ll find four Knight Houses in the book: Col’Khak, Moritain, Gotrith, and Vextrix, each with their own Knightly Qualities.  

5r5bgIRc4O3Igzzx.jpg

The bitter and resentful Knights of House Gotrith, for example, can roll on this chart (or choose one, if your opponent agrees) instead of the standard set from the Doom of Molech.

vqUC00lKI1DZqcEB.jpg

These results may not be game-breaking, but they help represent the character of the Knight Houses and differentiate them from each other.

49iqhmFYeOF7Urlu.jpg

The unusual scholar-warriors of House Moritain, on the other hand, are represented by their own rather poetic-sounding Knightly Qualities. 

kgx6Ztpvv0nLCrUn.jpg

House Moritain Seneschals collect titles in a manner rather similar to the Adeptus Custodes, and these three results hint at the richness and variety of their experiences.

Very good. Hot take: I really like the Venator ability to form any two titans in a maniple into a squadron at the start of a round. I really hate that they continue to give knight Seneschals the ability to reroll 1s - an ability that they already come with. They had to FAQ a bunch of the houses in Molech to replace this rule with one that does something, but they keep on including it for new households.

Edit: So the Seneschal trait extends reroll 1s to the whole lance, which actually does something. My bad.

Edited by Mandragola

It's a nice read. Yes, that Venator ability looks very good. I'll be interested to see what Legio Astraman get, as I've always liked them (though I really really don't need to start another Legio...so perhaps it would be better if their rules and colour scheme are bad...!).

Unsurprising however to see yet more errors / unclear rules. I think the Titanicus stuff is great on the whole, but the rules team really really need to up their attention to detail! It's a bit frustrating to see unclear wording in important stuff like the Ignatum Legio strat (similar to the wording for Vulturum's cull the weak strat). It's not hard / obscure interactions that are causing problems here, so they ought to be able to pick up on these things, surely.

The colour schemes are indeed pretty tedious. They don't offer much new but beyond that Kulisaetai's scheme is almost the same as Atarus and Tritonis's is almost the same as Vulturum. Oh well. Venator's spiderweb pattern is nice but looks like most of what we were saying about Ignatum's hex pattern applies here as well, to a lesser extent.

The snippet of background for house Moritan suggests that this may be another case of the knights getting more interesting background than the titans. You say Venator's another disciplined loyalist legion which would rather die than break its duty or take a step back? Oh, ok.

The grey thing is a weird one. The weight of schemes in this book are relatively colorful and probably dominantly red (Ignatum, Atarus, Kulisaetai, Col'Khak, spot colors on Tritonis & Gotrith). But WHC picked all of the grey schemes for this preview. And at least for the titan legions it makes sense, because the two grey/white ones are cousins from a forge and its forge moon.

Further, we have two green schemes that haven't been shown (Astraman and Vextrix) and another 2 we haven't seen at all that could be anything. If those last two are grey I'll definitely choke on my own words :sweat:

Anyway, something to think on: how much grey was there in Adeptus Titanicus schemes released before? Gryphonicus, Krytos and Oroborn? Krytos is even debatable and often represented with teal. edit: forgot Makabius, that's +1

On the preview itself, the Venator rules look solid, and I like the Tritonis scheme. I actually just like the stormy waters effect on its shoulders and head. I'm not sure what to make of the rule set though, and I'm guessing that's a 3CP stratagem for what it does. They have the ability to swap any Reavers for Warlords, but the strat and command bonus stacking seem great for lighter classes. Between that and the Blackshield faction ability, they do fairly well about their command phase for supposed bloodthirsty rebels. Gotta stay disciplined to overthrow the patriarchy.

What's mildly annoying me is that they put the Ignus Maniple in after we'd already seen it previewed in its entirety.

Edited by LetsYouDown

Yes, that's clearly an Astraman Titan, it even says Graia on the knee pad, and you can see the morning star on the banner. Good spot. I hadn't noticed.

I'll be interested to see the full colour plates, but green, yellow and blue seems a tricky colour palette for Titans to me. The yellow appears quite pale as well. Astraman are an interesting case, as they've been around for ages but there appears to be next to no detail on them to my knowledge, unlike some of the other old Legios. I guess that might be about to change!

Interesting. I'm seeing two groups: people complaining that the Fire Wasps scheme is impossible, and people complaining that the others are boring. It looks to me like there's a bit of a mixture.

For what it's worth I don't think the difficulty of the Ignatum scheme is a bad thing, any more than Fureans' black and yellow or Solaria's mottled green or your own Astorum's gradient flames and astronomical symbols. I like that AT pushes the envelope on this sort of thing. The virtue of how titan schemes are complex and vary from engine to engine or sub-legion faction to faction in the background is that you really can pick and choose the elements you want. You could paint up a maniple with, say, straight hazard stripes and no hex patterns and with the right cues they'd still be recognisable as Ignatum.

I mean you may as well go for exotic schemes or you will quickly run out of good looking ones, especially as SG seem determined to do hundreds of legios :D 

Repeating the Ignis maniple rules burned all the remaining goodwill from the article for me unfortunately :/  

Interesting. I'm seeing two groups: people complaining that the Fire Wasps scheme is impossible, and people complaining that the others are boring. It looks to me like there's a bit of a mixture.

For what it's worth I don't think the difficulty of the Ignatum scheme is a bad thing, any more than Fureans' black and yellow or Solaria's mottled green or your own Astorum's gradient flames and astronomical symbols. I like that AT pushes the envelope on this sort of thing. The virtue of how titan schemes are complex and vary from engine to engine or sub-legion faction to faction in the background is that you really can pick and choose the elements you want. You could paint up a maniple with, say, straight hazard stripes and no hex patterns and with the right cues they'd still be recognisable as Ignatum.

This is very true, and true of other Legios too. There are loads of different versions of Astorum just in the FW books. You can do some quite simple stuff with just blue and yellow panels, plus maybe the odd striped bit. Or you can go nuts. Ignatum seems to be the same.

It’s a good thing about this game. It’s pretty accessible (so long as you can paint trim) but if you want to there’s almost no limit on what you can play around with.

Anyway, something to think on: how much grey was there in Adeptus Titanicus schemes released before? Gryphonicus, Krytos and Oroborn? Krytos is even debatable and often represented with teal. edit: forgot Makabius, that's +1

Vulcanum I, Aerthegn, Coldshroud to some degree

WHC article on the story of CoR: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/10/23/crucible-of-retribution-the-story/

I take back my quibbles with colour scheme variation, Laniaskara and Damicium are brilliant. Laniaskara looks like they're meant to be a little bit central African in style, perhaps? Those wonderful turquoise patterns. Damicium looks like it's the legion for folks who are too into the Joker, and that's not a bad thing. Some of their symbols look more than a bit eldar-esque, would love to know what's going on there.

EDIT: and yeah, no way that Damicium doesn't turn to Slaanesh. Good, that'd be the first clearly Slaaneshi titan legion I think?

Edited by Sandlemad