What “Cash Grabs” would you like to see?

Roomsky

Didn't we find out what happened to the named remembrancers from ATS via Crimson King? General agreement on the rest, though.

We also still have Sevatar and the Night Lords prisoners to wrap up. And I wouldn't mind seeing Corax and Russ making their way through the galaxy post-Yarant - we got Dreadwing for the Dark Angels, but there's potential for more on the other two Legions.

And then there's the Iron Hands dude who met with Corax in Weregeld and was trying to get him to join the war for Beta-Garmon - that could be a decent PoV character for an extension of the Beta-Garmon subsetting.

Whilst I don't like the term 'cash grab' (more like a 'license to print money' or something humorous like that) - one of things I'd love to see return on a practical level is the print run for Limited Editions, like with Brotherhood of the Storm. A set period to buy the book - and get it 4-6 weeks later once they've printed enough to meet the demand. I understand in terms of margins and lead-times why this isn't done, as well as making it 'less limited' -  but it'd be just a nice option to definitely have the chance to secure particularly popular editions.

I do very much like and appreciate the returning print on demands for certain classics - and hope that continues! If that could be beyond limited windows, that would also be great... 

On a personal level, I'd love to see further bits around the Heresy as people have mentioned - whether shorts or similar. Not even to tie up loose ends necessarily, but just add further context of what certain people were doing when... I just love the sandbox and always happy to read more!

I would like to see a Order of battle from the start of the great crusade through the end of the siege.

I still cannot wrap my head around 200 years leading to grabbing 1 million planets...with 100 years basically just being E and Horus. The math makes no sense even if you grabbed a planet a day.

Expect is was not just the Emperor and Horus, but the other Imperial commanders too.

Agreed. But how many ships/flotilla's/fleets were built and staffed? How many humans were alive at Unity to compose enough fleets to conquer 1 million world in 200 years. Even Horus Rising talked about taking months to get to certain worlds. It always has been the weakest part of this story to me...well that and the fall of the Interex and why Horus was talking about unseating the E from the " Golden Throne" before the Great Works was revealed.
Well, it's much more than what Terra and even Sol have. The Imperium found plenty of worlds with large populations and strong industrial bases, even before we get to the Forge Worlds. The Legions are just tip of the iceberg in terms of numbers and there were many, many worlds which got on board willingly. This becomes exponential as more are brought into the fold, the Imperium's armies grow etc. Edited by bluntblade

I'm seeing a general desire for reprints (fancy or otherwise) here. Fingers crossed 40ks increasing popularity eventually means we'll see more long-term print runs like with Star Wars novels. There are a lot of great books I'd like to see nice hardbacks or special editions drop for as well.

Also please give me a POD Lord of the Night. I'm tired of abused original printings with that hilarious cover art.

Didn't we find out what happened to the named remembrancers from ATS via Crimson King? General agreement on the rest, though.

I couldn't tell you, to be honest. I was more irate with the Crimson King's total (& miserably poor) thieving of the plot of French's Ahriman trilogy.

Lucius and the crew of Space Ninja Adventurers Enterprise were in it, if memory serves. To be honest, that's a cash grab I'd have half a mind to ask for my money back on.

That and plagiarising a multi-page section of another novel of his in a separate novel, word for word.

The ongoing adventures of Captain Japan I could have done without too. Or the just so story about how the gang got together for Storm of Iron.

Actually, I'm sensing a theme here.

---

I'd happily take some Heresy-adjacent stories too.

Give me the early days of the Adeptus Arbites. (I'd like to believe it was more like a wartime privitisation of a bouncers & gumshoe conglomerate/cartel, but I'll read whatever they put out all the same.) The Adventures of the Pioneering Exploration Fleets - the ones led by Rogue Trader types gallivanting off far beyond the Imperial frontier and getting into all sort of Primarchless, Legion less scrapes.

I'd take the Space Marines who retire to found their own startups, the ones who never fell back under the wing of the main Legion & Primarch because they were too far away for far too long.

Give me the (good) story of the Astropaths and Navigators, where they don't have to navigate the warp, but navigate bureaucratic meetings with Iterators where they deftly deal with why the process is "soul binding" when souls aren't a thing nd a lot of doublespeak has been put into excising vocabulary from the fresh faced Imperium!

Let's Hera more about the Techmarines (yeah, Cybernetica was getting here, but its not like it exhausted the story opportunities!)

What about the natural schisms of the Mechanicum, the fact that Mars isn't really that pre-eminent because other forges can f-off and do their own thing anyway, Mars is a popularity contest, it doesn't own all the power!

---

Yeah, there's money to be made out of me and the Heresy yet.

(Probably not if it's McNeill writing. Somehow - since ATS - he invariably and completelys zigs when I want him to zag, and vice versa. Which is triply annoying, as he spins a great yarn.)

Edited by Xisor

I'd take the Black Books lore sections, as an expanded history, OR, oh man, a unified history of the Galaxy, from the Old Ones/Necrons, to War in Heaven, the rise and fall of Man (Iron Men and all that), to Old Night and the fall of the Eldar.

I want that so bad actually. MvS had one once, but it's been lost to time I believe.

I'd take the Black Books lore sections, as an expanded history, OR, oh man, a unified history of the Galaxy, from the Old Ones/Necrons, to War in Heaven, the rise and fall of Man (Iron Men and all that), to Old Night and the fall of the Eldar.

I want that so bad actually. MvS had one once, but it's been lost to time I believe.

i have 2 pdfs, one of which might be MVS'? inbox me (iirc there was some general rule against posting links to it)

So much this. I bought all but one Black Book in HB (damn it Malevolence sold out before I got it). They are gorgeous but bit mad of me as only wanted lore sections as don’t play anymore.

A big black book full of the lore only would be a must buy for me!

What is MvS?

So much this. I bought all but one Black Book in HB (damn it Malevolence sold out before I got it). They are gorgeous but bit mad of me as only wanted lore sections as don’t play anymore.

A big black book full of the lore only would be a must buy for me!

God yes. It would surely be so doable as well, particularly as a lot of the actual rules for... what, more than half the black books are at least a bit out of date and some are still out of print. Now that all the legions have been covered and we're approaching some sort of turning point, it feels like an obvious thing to do. They almost certainly won't because FW isn't good at decisions and such but still.

Taking just the background sections - historical campaigns, legion/force backgrounds, etc - from them is usually about 150-ish pages per book. If they wanted to stick with the whole premium hardback route they could package them up and sell each in much the same fashion as the FW red army list books, £30-ish a pop. Or double/triple them up (i.e. here's Istvaan III and V together, here's Conquest and Retribution's background sections lumped together) and sell them for a lot more.

Both of those are accepting that these would be a cash-grab and a more than a bit gougy but they'd still be gratefully devoured by a lot of fans.

Edited by Sandlemad

If we're gonna go crazy then I want an Age of Apostasy series written by Chris Wraight. It would be like the anti-Horus Heresy/Za Beasto

- written by one extremely talented bloke

- consisting of either one very abbreviated trilogy or up to 10 books with appropriate focus

- no superhuman characters stealing the show or popping out of the woodwork - this is the Imperium of Man, remember

- covers, in effect, every single major Imperial authority in relevant detail, with a whole host of smaller ones

- scratches my itch for Chris to finally cover the Adepta Sororitas, albeit in a prototypical form

- balances the political upheaval of the Imperium during this period with its military conflicts

- Allows Chris to dig into the meat and bones of the Imperium at its mid-point; instead of 'it's rotting... but not as rotted as Vaults of Terra.' No, I want this parallel 16th century where the Imperium isn't rotting per se, it's just monstrously misguided and corrupt - hitting a nice mid-ground between The Age of Wonder and There Is Only War

- No Eldrad, Perpetuals, Alpha Legion or Loken. This is the Reformation but with power swords. I was there, the day Alicia Dominica met the Emperor, please and thank you

Edited by Bobss

Solar Auxilia would be awesome. Do an art book with different regiments while they're at it.

I'd also be keen for this in a book focused on someone like Abaddon, Eidolon or Polux. Let me see a praetor commanding lots of mortals as well as his own men, like they're meant to have done.

MvS, Marius von Stauffer? Author of Liber Chaotic books 2-5 (Richard Williams was Liber Khorne), and prolific Internet forumite from the halcyon days when lore discussion was detailed and at length.

Good ol' Warseer & Portent.net

You know it.

He had a timeline, the totality of 40K history at the time.

But I think it was only posted to Warseer, back when they didn't over moderate and when we were able to really dig into the setting (and each other...) in peace.

MvS, Marius von Stauffer? Author of Liber Chaotic books 2-5 (Richard Williams was Liber Khorne), and prolific Internet forumite from the halcyon days when lore discussion was detailed and at length.

You know it.

But I think it was only posted to Warseer, back when they didn't over moderate and when we were able to really dig into the setting (and each other...) in peace.

Would love to get hold of that!

You know it.

Would love to get hold of that!

search "mvs 40k pre history timeline warseer" and like magic it will appear