Outriders limited to 3 man squads!

Gundric

So the latest rumour has Outriders being limited to 3 man squads. Personally this has really p****d me off, two squads if three just feels really janky when all I wanted to take was one squad of five. Anyone annoyed by this potential upset? No official codex caveats apply of course!

I only play in my friend group, so meta isn't an issue. We generally play more fluffy lists, I've been waiting to get primaris bikes since 8th dropped and now they may be limiting them to an pretty annoying squad size. Unless you can add an ATV to make it five marines total? Who knows for sure till a week Saturday I suppose.

Maybe it's just me being all ocd or something, three man squads just looks meh. Oh well, maybe it will change in the future, or with our codex supplement? Give us something truly unique?

What’s so bad about it being a 3 man squad?

Something they said in the ATV post earlier made it sound like it’s an upgrade. Talked about it adding firepower to the outriders

For one thing, the squad size is so small that it is not able to lose a Morale test without negative modifiers to Ld.

What’s so bad about it being a 3 man squad?

Something they said in the ATV post earlier made it sound like it’s an upgrade. Talked about it adding firepower to the outriders

For one thing, the squad size is so small that it is not able to lose a Morale test without negative modifiers to Ld.

I see that as a positive.

I only play in my friend group, so meta isn't an issue. We generally play more fluffy lists, I've been waiting to get primaris bikes since 8th dropped and now they may be limiting them to an pretty annoying squad size. Unless you can add an ATV to make it five marines total? Who knows for sure till a week Saturday I suppose.

GW seems quite determined to have primaris marines have clearly defined unit roles with very narrow options.  It would surprise me if bikes could go up to 6 models which is actually what GW said on their first indomitus live stream.  I would be even more surprised if outrider sergeants could take power weapons.  

Seems to be confirmed from early video reviews. 3 man max, no sergeant weapon upgrades.

It sucks, especially with bladeguard and eradicators going 3-6 and assault intercessor sergeants getting a full arsenal of wargear options.

Sad times, it seems they don't want Primaris White Scars armies to be bike heavy. Saying that, if we get a supplement they may do something more unique to Scars bike/outrider wise. It's a damn shame when we get lumped with the rest of the codex compliant chapters.

There is good news.  Old marine bikers are 3w.  

That's great for White Scars, but I wonder the points? I heard first born with the additional wound are up to 18 points!

18 points for 2w is more efficient than 12 points for 2w.... unless you are facing dark eldar ravager spam.  Then you get rekt.  

I would guess that bikers are going to cost around 30ppm-32ppm.  Going from 2w to 3w is a pretty big deal since there are far less 3 dmg weapons out there than 2 dmg.  One thing that is a bit weird to me is that all marines now have a fallback+shoot stratagem for bikers/speeders.  What does that mean for White Scars in the long term?  Short term it is great, WS can now fallback and shoot with 2 separate units using 2 different strats.  I highly doubt that will still be the case when a new WS book comes out.  

Edit:  Old bikes are in fact 30 points.

TLDR:  Outriders still good, just not better.  Old bikes, better.

Edited by SanguinaryGuardsman