Mantis Warriors - Praying for Redemption

Hello fellow frater,

My hobby butterfly is in overdrive again and sweeping me up into the world of Mantis Warrior space marines. On the surface I love the colour scheme. But recently I'd seen some inspiring artwork that set me on this path.

@Wolfdawgart on twitter has done a few pictures of Mantis Warriors (amongst other things!) that really struck a cord. They just seemed to suit the phobos armour so well and really made sense of the whole Vanguard Space Marine release for me. Before that I had avoided them and actually Primaris marines altogether.

Here is a pic of his alongside a Marine I made to see if I could do a little homage...

incollage_20200810_225355029.jpg

I also built and painted a test model to see what that might be like. I even got the airbrush out of it's decade of stasis. I got a real sense I wanted a jungle setting for these and a real Predator vibe. Maybe some striking scorpion influence, or was that just the colours talking.

img_20200830_083102_929.jpg?w=1024

img_20200829_231234.jpg

Some of you will have seen this guy already from my other thread. I had a go at the markings on the helmet from the artwork here.

I was then having Ideas for the different types of units I might include in the army. My friends IRL are doing a crusdae for 9th so I'll be trying to get 25PL together.

I've put some models together to test out ideas for various units. It's a lot of test models at this point.

screenshot_20201001_215908.jpg

I put together this reiver to try to get that Praying Mantis insect feel.

screenshot_20201001_215848.jpg

This is another infiltrator, tried to get a bit of predator influence in this one.

img_20200928_193317_840.jpg

Bladeguard Veteran idea, using Phobos armour and with original Mantis ninja influence but also an insectoid shield in this context.

I was thinking now that I might go full Phobos armour even for units (like the bladeguard that aren't). I then looked at the Gravis statline and had an idea.

I was thinking about the Mantis Warriors being Renegades and decimated by the attacks of the Carcharadons. They would need new recuits and bionics. They are limited/punished to have small numbers. I was thinking a desperation to earn lost honour and re-establish themselves in the imperium. So crossing the Rubicon, Bionics, new recruits from varied sources and even full on robots might be on the cards for them.

So here is an idea for an Eradicator, it's just a head swap currently to get an idea...

img_20200922_221936.jpg?w=1024

I've since been working on an incursor unit taking the ninja, robot and insect ideas further...

img_20200930_224830.jpg

img_20200930_224906.jpg

img_20200930_224933.jpg

Migs of Iron sleet (Migsula on insta) did AMAZING blood angel scouts using phobos armour and admech backpacks. They were a huge influence on these Incursors!

So it's been a lot of experimenting and fiddly faffing about. But I feel I've got some ideas to work with here and look forward to getting more painted and also getting stuck into some of these ideas for the various units.

Please let me know what you think.

KDC

Edited by Krakendoomcool

Seconded what others have said; love the creepy insectoid robot bionic vibe of your Mantis Warriors. Def a cool new fresh take on them. Maybe use some plasti rods and pieces or bits to ‘thicken’ up some of the ad mech limbs, as a little spindly for Primaris. But at same time one leg on marine reminds of a modern carbon fiber running prosthetic; so once paints applied; may look right on too for the effect you’re trying to achieve. Look forward to more!. Edited by Yosef Hausakluif

@ Doghouse

Thank you very much. I'm particularly looking forward to figuring out those units and how to do them.

@ Bjorn Firewalker

Thank you buddy. I'm really glad that comes across, that is really what I was aiming for.

@ Yosef Hausakluiff

Thank you. I did consider building bionics from plasticard pipe etc but want to have quite a few in the army so was searching for a faster way. Also looking for a unique look and taking the insect angle as an excuse to have some thin and different bionics.

After a bit more fiddling with them I've finished the build on the Incursor squad and I've just undercoated them. So hopefully get them painted and finished soon.

img_20201004_230404.jpg

Decided to go for the funny little cameras on the backpacks in the end.

img_20201004_230443.jpg

Hope to have more updated soon.

• 2 months later...

@ Naryn

Thank you! There doesn't seem to be too many Mantis Warriors around. I'm taking license with the fact the used to be Renegades to have some fun and go non codex as much as I like.

I've been doing other things but I'm back on the Mantis Warriors now. I'm partially through the squad, trying to figure out how to paint them...

img_20201213_224245.jpg?w=1024

I was particularly pleased with how this guy came out. That Admech leg seems to work just fine. The fact it's quite a thin leg for a Marine makes it look more like a real life prosthetic limb.

img_20201214_230154.jpg?w=1021

I hope to get the rest of the squad finished off and move onto the Blagegaurd who have progressed slightly on teh model side.

img_20201218_120649.jpg?w=1024

@ Bjorn Firewalker

Thank you buddy.

@ jaxom

Yes that is exactly what I was thinking. Although now I need to stop myself looking at those Van Saar energy shields which would work too.

@ Brother Carpenter

Thank you. Hopefully different enough for interest.

@ space wolf

Thank you, that is exactly what I wanted. A bit of that Predator (film)/Striking Scorpion feel.

I've painted a couple more of these guys so just the sergeant to go. After having the first guy come out with a very flat green (in the photo not IRL) I had a play around on Insta's edit for these photos.

img_20201226_151103_320.jpg

img_20201226_150901_502.jpg?w=1024

Wow, that is something else! Excellent theme and feel for an army! Great builds and very nicely painted too.
Loving the extra stripes and markings. 
Have you looked at at Knights/AdMech decals? They got some great little markings perfect for tech-feel.

The only thing I'm missing are proper space-mariney shoulder pads ;)

@ Bjorn Firewalker

Thank you buddy.

@ sparrow2z

Thank you, wanted to make them a bit different.

@ Majkel

That sounds like an excellent plan. I'll look into those decals. I've used decals on these for the mantis chapter badge. This is the first time I've used them for about 20 years!

@ Triszin

Thank you buddy. I'm pretty new to battle damage so I'm happy it seems to be working.

I've finished the sergeant. So the first unit is now complete. The project has officially started and it's not just me faffing about anymore.

This is the first Primaris Marines unit I've done and the first unit of Mantis Warriors. Hopefully I'll be able to crack on with the others.

screenshot_20210104_223500-1.jpg

img_20210105_121029_663.jpg?w=1024

• 2 weeks later...

@ Warbringer

Thank you buddy. I'm super slow but I might actually get this 25PL done by the time restrictions are lifted. Then we can have a game!

@ Bjorn Firewalker

Thank you so much! You've pretty much summed up my goals for the project. I do feel like there is room to build them back up after their history at Badab.

Wasn't sure which unit to do next. Then started messing around with the Bladeguard Veterans. My main issue was what to do with the actual teeth protruding from the shields I was using. Had a few ideas. Decided to actually google a Praying Mantis for inspiration...

img_20210114_133527_326.jpg?w=804

Looking at various parts of the Mantis and looking at my shield to see what I could do...

img_20210114_133527_325.jpg?w=1024

I was considering trying to make the top look like a beetle or shield bug. Thought I should go more specific and try to aim for a Praying Mantis head. The funny hip bones I thought I could use as eyes with some greenstuff.

img_20210114_133527_328.jpg?w=1024

Out of the 3 shields this one actually has a mouth already on it. I saw that after the eyes idea and couldn't believe my luck. The other 2 shields don't but I think I'll greenstuff some on.

So that's the shield and the first guy pretty much there for the Bladeguard Veterans...

img_20210114_133527_327.jpg?w=1024

Let me know what you think. Really wasn't sure while I was doing it whether it was silly. But hopefully it's more characterful.

@ Warbringer

Thank you buddy. I'm super slow but I might actually get this 25PL done by the time restrictions are lifted. Then we can have a game!

@ Bjorn Firewalker

Thank you so much! You've pretty much summed up my goals for the project. I do feel like there is room to build them back up after their history at Badab.

Wasn't sure which unit to do next. Then started messing around with the Bladeguard Veterans. My main issue was what to do with the actual teeth protruding from the shields I was using. Had a few ideas. Decided to actually google a Praying Mantis for inspiration...

img_20210114_133527_326.jpg?w=804

Looking at various parts of the Mantis and looking at my shield to see what I could do...

img_20210114_133527_325.jpg?w=1024

I was considering trying to make the top look like a beetle or shield bug. Thought I should go more specific and try to aim for a Praying Mantis head. The funny hip bones I thought I could use as eyes with some greenstuff.

img_20210114_133527_328.jpg?w=1024

Out of the 3 shields this one actually has a mouth already on it. I saw that after the eyes idea and couldn't believe my luck. The other 2 shields don't but I think I'll greenstuff some on.

So that's the shield and the first guy pretty much there for the Bladeguard Veterans...

img_20210114_133527_327.jpg?w=1024

Let me know what you think. Really wasn't sure while I was doing it whether it was silly. But hopefully it's more characterful.

Looking great I'm looking forward to a game against them too :)

@ Warbringer

The latest lockdown seems to have given me ample time to mess about with these and get them ready for the first game.

@ HvitrValdyr

Thank you buddy. Want to convey Mantis Warriors without getting too silly.

@ Xenith

Thank you. This is a timely reminder for me to remember what paints I used. For the test model I think it was:

Waaagh! Flesh, Biel-Tan Green, Warboss Green and Skarsnik Green. Thin Agrax shade on there too.

For the latest squad:

Waaagh! Flesh, Warboss Green, Skarsnik Green, Biel-Tan and then Nurgling Flesh. Moving the Biel-Tan closer to the end seemed to give a much brighter green colour.

Someone has told me Bladeguard are supposed to be on 40mm bases. So I've switched those in. Done a bit of adding skulls and trinkets. The Sergeant has two swords and the shield on his back. Not channeling Leonardo from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles or anything...

img_20210121_073325.jpg?w=1022

img_20210121_104550.jpg?w=1022

Here's the 3...

img_20210121_073307.jpg?w=1024

Decided to add straps to the skulls eye sockets or across the tops of them to convey how they are kept up there. Pretty much there with these. Although I stil might give someone a bionic leg. Thinking the back leg on the guy on the right.

Edited by Krakendoomcool