New Codex Space Marines Review

Valerian

Curious, so now the space wolf codex is outdated and we have to use the generic codex only till we get the supplement?

yes but not quite - Saga of the Awakening is also required in tandem with the Codex until the supplement comes out. Edited by Wispy

I think we will likely have to continue using Codex: Space Wolves in combination with Saga of the Beast and some FAQs as our 'supplement' until the actual supplement is released. So most of the books will be invalid, but anything not found elsewhere, like Wulfen, Blood Claws, etc. will still require those books. In the short term, it would mean requiring Codex: Space Wolves, PA: Saga of the Beast and Codex: Space Marines to field the faction in entirety. It's not ideal, but I think that is what it is. DA will have that worst, as it really is a bit more than temporary for them, as their supplement is like 4 months out.

Codex DA/BA/SW are still available on the GW webstore when the new Codex: Space Marines has been released, which I think supports that conclusion.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

Personally holding out on buying anything new until the SW Supplement is available to be in-hand. Helps that I'm not playing 40K games right now anyway, so at this point, it's not even worth worrying about. Once the full picture is available, I'll decide if my Marine armies just remain painting pieces, or are only going to be used in Kill Team or what.

Thanks for the video review link, Valerian, but I don't think I'm a fan of how GW rolled this whole thing out.

Can we discuss some non HI impact on our Space Wolves? The Honor the Chapter nerf is huge for Wulfen. It only applies to assault intercessors now. 

The only thing that I like from this book is making dreds and terminators better. I love fielding them in my lists so I'm happy to have them better.

Can we discuss some non HI impact on our Space Wolves? The Honor the Chapter nerf is huge for Wulfen. It only applies to assault intercessors now.

I'm not a fan how they are now varying wargear costs at the unit level. Makes pricing that much more error-prone.

Edited by Gherrick

I'm not a fan how they are now varying wargear costs at the unit level. Makes pricing that much more error-prone.

I was thinking the same, but then also I agree with Jbickb about it potentially making it easier to fine tune specific units that might emerge as OP as the releases go on. 

What does everyone think of seemingly now being able to do Wolves successors now with their own chapter tactics? Or the fact you can take the Chapter Master upgrade so long as Logan Grimnar isn't in your army.

If these are true then it's making it possible for me to run my count-as Wolves homebrew chapter as how I've always imagined them.

Edited by Knightsword

The only thing that I like from this book is making dreds and terminators better. I love fielding them in my lists so I'm happy to have them better.

Yeah that him as did Transhuman fizzy

Hopefully they get a points drop and some strategem love in the codex

Extra relics and warlord traits are good for us though

Oaths of Moment secondary too

Overall I think we will be relying on our unique strategems. That feels like a deliberately ploy to stop generic successor chapters being too strong

Likes - Available units increased more than I expected. Several units now have the wolf guard keyword. Successor rules are cool and from reading the goonhammer review we can use them. D2 power fists and our primaris battle leader can finally have a MC power Axe. Finally for the most part the new stuff isn't OP.

Dislikes - Eradicators are too good. I don't know the new points well enough to comment on internal balance but it doesn't seem promising. Some units that weren't very good recieved nerfs without point adjustments (repulsors).

Mixed - the wolf warlord trait isn't a Saga. I like the ideal of Saga's but the execution of them has left a lot to be desired.

So I'm in love with veteran intercessors kitted out as assault marines because of the wolf guard keyword. As it currently stands:

51 attacks on the charge, from turn 3 6's to hit are double hits, pop vicious executioners for 6's to wound dealing additional mortals. And everything else is at ap-2.

So I'm in love with veteran intercessors kitted out as assault marines because of the wolf guard keyword. As it currently stands:

51 attacks on the charge, from turn 3 6's to hit are double hits, pop vicious executioners for 6's to wound dealing additional mortals. And everything else is at ap-2.

I was thinking of doing that with one of my assault intercessors from indomitus box. Put them in an impulsor and just let 'em go to town on something on an objective.

Mmmmhmmmm. I think i said it in the other thread too but i theres a solid argument we have the best assault intercessors for this reason. That will kill most things.

Mmmmhmmmm. I think i said it in the other thread too but i theres a solid argument we have the best assault intercessors for this reason. That will kill most things.

Agreed, especially if we still have a wulfenstone bumping that to 61.

In theory 2+ rerolling all 1's we should hit with most if not all the attacks, lets be nice and say five 6's bringing us to 66 hits, and then 10 or so mortal wounds on top of everything else (again assuming the whole squad is alive)

With the new warlord trait previewed in the codex for us this makes us hit on a 1+ (for modifiers) and wound at +1 vs vehicles and monsters, whatever we point these guys at is likely to die....heck i don't even rate mortarion vs a squad of these