How do you arm your Cultists?

Wolf Lord Loki

Generally I give them nothing, because I'm not taking cultists for their (lack of) ability to hurt something. In my mind it's only worth throwing a special weapon onto a cultist squad if you've finished your list, have some points leftover, and none of your other DG have any available upgrades. :P

I think the extra points you could spend on the cultists would be a far better investment when spent upgrading more survivable units.

The question you should ask yourself is - do the cultists need a flamer or hvy stubber to play their role within the army?

Once you know the answer to that, you will know if you should take the upgrade.

Purely theorycraft, as I haven't played a game since 5th, but I'd only take upgrades for cultists if I have leftover points and its the only thing I can afford. Or, I have a 30-40 squad of cultists with multiple heavy stubbers. Otherwise I'd just give them autoguns in mass numbers to absorb punishment.

• 2 weeks later...

Like the rest here, I would prioritize cultist upgrades last. For instance, if you have 5 points and a Plague Marine CC squad in your list,it is clearly better to give swap out a double knife model with a model with axe and knife. Likewise, a combi weapon extra on a defiler is also clearly much better than a stubber or a flamer for cultists.

But feel free to upgrade cultists for flavour and/or fluff reasons.

Edited by Iron Sage