Moving and shooting conversion beamers

Nomadic Thunder

The regular conversion beamer is just a heavy weapon, without a rule forcing them to sit still. So, being heavy, Lernaeans and dreads can move and fire them. Though not effectively unless at range, of course.

Edit: I had forgotten that Contemptors only have the heavy, forced-stationary, version.

Edited by Darkwrath121

Great, I thought as much. I was wondering if I’d just skimmed over something saying otherwise.

Is the stigma against them just the range issue then?

Especially in the case of the Lernaeans, having a weapon that needs to sit on the far side of the board to get actually use out of it. Not an ideal use for a terminator unit!

With contemptors, the issue is that it's the heavy conversion beamer that they get (I had forgotten they have the heavy variant), forcing it to stand still anyway. I'm sure it could possibly be made work, but it's not ideal. At that point, the predator version cycles back as an alternative anyway.

Edited by Darkwrath121

also are there any other units able to equip a conversion beamer and can they fire them on the move?

:yes: Yes, Brother, we of the Mechanicum have conversion beamers as an option for our Myrmidon Destructors, who naturally have Relentless.

Now, I only took a unit of 3 Myrmidon Destructors with conversion beamers because the models came with the bitz.  I was mocked...MOCKED...for taking a squad of conversion beamers, UNTIL we faced an Imperial Fist fortification, that big thing with the big cannon, AV 15 and oodles of hull points.  I seized the initiative, the Myrmidon Destructors walked to the far corner of the table, far enough to get that maximum Strength (there was enough room to avoid any haggling), and brought down this house of Dorn in the very 1st salvo of the battle.  I did roll a statistically high number of 6s (seizing the initiative and 2 penetration rolls), and that unit being so far away in a terrain heavy battlefield meant I had few other targets except for the big, obvious fort, but nobody dared laugh at them ever again.

It was one of those games where word spread and in the local meta here, that weapon went from being PERCEIVED (I'm not going to say if it's true or not, nobody else ran such a unit but me around these here parts) as a silly gimmick wargear to being an OP Mechanicum weapon.  Is it situational?  It is, and it's situation is when you need someone with a Puncher's Chance to punch waaaaay above their weight, and sometimes the threat of this for a very pricey unit is enough to make a commander change his battleplan to steer clear.

Now, I'm not disagreeing with Brother Gorgoff, I actually see his point and why he says that...but as the guy firing them and not the one being fired upon...conversion beamers are fun as hell for me.

... also are there any other units able to equip a conversion beamer and can they fire them on the move?

Forge Lord in Cataphractii Armour with Conversion Beamer, accompanied by a retinue of Servo-Automata with Rad Missile Launchers.

Mechanicum. Of course! I love the aesthetic of the weapon, it makes perfect sense for the servants of the machine to have such an esotric and unwieldy weapon of war. and to utilise it so efficiently and effectively. Thank you for the anecdote N1SB, it's given me some resolve to pursue this avenue of potential destruction. I've realised the Knight Moirax can equip one too. Glory to the omnissiah!

The forgelord is a good option i think, i've been thinking about some rad missile automata for a while now, might as well go all out with a beamer on their master!

As for the predator v dreadnought, why would the predator be preferable to the dread for conversion beamer?

they're both Av13 front and a dread has a smaller footprint...

Mechanicum. Of course! I love the aesthetic of the weapon, it makes perfect sense for the servants of the machine to have such an esotric and unwieldy weapon of war. and to utilise it so efficiently and effectively. Thank you for the anecdote N1SB, it's given me some resolve to pursue this avenue of potential destruction. I've realised the Knight Moirax can equip one too. Glory to the omnissiah!

The forgelord is a good option i think, i've been thinking about some rad missile automata for a while now, might as well go all out with a beamer on their master!

As for the predator v dreadnought, why would the predator be preferable to the dread for conversion beamer?

they're both Av13 front and a dread has a smaller footprint...

110 points cost difference.

You get two Predators with C.B. for one Contemptor.

Easy choice.

Ditch both and take a Predator Executioner instead. ;)

Edited by Gorgoff

I am a fan of the executioner! I just love the look of the C-Beamer.

One of the best looking weapons in Heresy and 40k. Shame that every system gives them some rule that forces whoever is carrying it to remain static, that's boring as hell. It would be nice if the penalty were something like a to-hit penalty, or halving movement, I dunno, everything but being static.

Who wants to have their dreadnought or their predator just sit back like an artillery gun? It defies the whole point of them being a tank or a walker in the first place.