Integrating a Knight with Ad Mech

Sorry if this is a dumb-dumb question for Ad Mech afficiandos:

How do the Knight Options from the Imperial Knights Codex integrate (if in fact they do at all) with the Imperial Knight selections from the Ad Mech Codex?

So what I mean here specifically is let's say I'm building an Ad Mech force for a long term Crusade army my FLGS is going to be running.  We are starting with 25 Power Level order of battle as part of a prelude.  Later on we will add the additional 25 Power Level to make it the standard 50 PL order of battle.

The first 25 PL will be a single Ad Mech detachment (either a patrol or battalion, not sure which).  At 50 PL, I'll add a super heavy auxiliary and include one of my knights.

The Knight datasheets in the Ad Mech codex define households, however there are no Household Traits, nor Knight Stratagems, Relics, Warlord Traits, etc in the Ad Mech codex.  Am I permitted to use the Imperial Knight codex to build out my knight (obeying normal battle forged rules) in doing so?  Or are the knights in the Ad Mech book meant to be more rigid and limited than a full Imperial Knight stand alone codex detachment?

Edited by 9x19 Parabellum

Both books are pretty separate, you can use Knights in an Admech army but you have to use everything in the Admech codex and can't use anything in the Knight codex. You do not even get to use canticles unless you use a stratagem.

Usually anyone using knights will use the Knight codex as it is much better and with a lot more tools inside of it.

But if you simply want to add a single knight to your Admech force then go ahead as it is fun to do but if you want a couple of knights, I would seriously suggest adding an Imperial Knight detachment instead and using the Knight codex rules.

Both books are pretty separate, you can use Knights in an Admech army but you have to use everything in the Admech codex and can't use anything in the Knight codex. You do not even get to use canticles unless you use a stratagem.

Usually anyone using knights will use the Knight codex as it is much better and with a lot more tools inside of it.

But if you simply want to add a single knight to your Admech force then go ahead as it is fun to do but if you want a couple of knights, I would seriously suggest adding an Imperial Knight detachment instead and using the Knight codex rules.

Good to know, ive always kept an eye on the knight posts in here a do love knights, but was always unsure about how all the rules (esp with the new knight dex) interact.

As I've pretty much finished 2k points of admech for now though im looking to add a few more big centrepiece models.

So the way I understand it is

- single knight as super heavy for fun/less optimised

- Multiple knights let you run an actual knight detachment and get all the nicer rules from the knight dex

Whats the minimum you can get in a detachment to sit alongside admech? 1 knight and some armigers?

I thought we could still field only one knight? I honestly don't know anymore with all the changed recently. I will let someone else have ago answering that one.

Edited by Black_Knight

The Knight datasheets in the Ad Mech codex define households, however there are no Household Traits, nor Knight Stratagems, Relics, Warlord Traits, etc in the Ad Mech codex.  Am I permitted to use the Imperial Knight codex to build out my knight (obeying normal battle forged rules) in doing so?  Or are the knights in the Ad Mech book meant to be more rigid and limited than a full Imperial Knight stand alone codex detachment?

You use the full Imperial Knight codex with all its bits and gubbins, end of story. The AdMech codex predates the Knight codex by quite a margin, and had the old knight profiles printed for convenience - and to make the outdated Index knight profiles compatible with the crossover abilities like repairs and Knights of the Cog strat. Before AdMech codex, there was no Questor Mechanicus keyword for example, preventing all crossover abilities since they required it.

Now GW still FAQ-updates the Knight rules in the AdMech codex so people don't get any funny ideas of combo-ing outdated rules with unintended effects.

But next AdMech codex probably won't include Knights any more, since they got their own full codex.

Whats the minimum you can get in a detachment to sit alongside admech? 1 knight and some armigers?

You need a LoW slot. The only detachments that offer them, in 9th just like in 8th, are the Superheavy Auxilia Detachment (1 slot) and the Superheavy Detachment (3-5 slots).

Either way, they are rules-wise completely separate from your AdMech when it comes to detachments, same as for example Guard allies.

AdMech doesn't have any LoWs on its own, and any detachment (from patrol to brigade) that can fit non-LoW units doesn't have a LoW slot.

The full superheavy detachment offers 3-5 slots and full rules support.

The Auxilia detachment prevents the knight from gaining Household Traditions and selecting one to be a Character (preventing Warlord Traits and Relics). Strats, including the ones to upgrade someone to get a relic/WT, work though.

Each slot can be filled with either 1 big knight, or with a unit of 1-3 armigers (that splits up into individual models when the game starts) of the same type.

Edited by MajorNese

Thanks Major Nese!

Ditto!

So essentially to run this alongside my admech for cheapest points/monetary cost (with the fun of household trads/warlord traits/relics) id want at least one knight, and 2 boxes of armigers 

Gotcha!

Thanks Major Nese!

Ditto!

So essentially to run this alongside my admech for cheapest points/monetary cost (with the fun of household trads/warlord traits/relics) id want at least one knight, and 2 boxes of armigers 

Gotcha!

Almost - one box of armigers contains 2 armigers, so you can start with one box and one knight to fill the 3 slots - armigers can run solo after all. And to be honest, since they have the same toughness/wounds/save as onagers, they feel like a natural alternative/addition depending on weapons.

Forgeworld also offers some damn nice variants with the Moirax, at a quite acceptable price (+50% per model IIRC) for AdMech themed armour and esoteric weaponry at near identical points cost.

Edited by MajorNese

Awesome, ah yeah hadnt picked up that you could just run 1!

The moirax are indeed awesome, and i think id be going down that route when I do start my knights. Just cos they look so damn good (the extra plating and esoteric weapons are just ace)

Initially i was thinking of running 2x dual lightning locks and 2x volkite/siege claw (cos volkite always wins rule of cool).

But what i might actually do is pick three up to start, and  run 1x dual LL, 1x volkite, 1x graviton just for some cool flavour/triumvirate feel (i shall name them Hegazi, Volyova and Sajaki - if anyone gets the reference, excellent!) 

Should be easy enough to magentise the arm weapons anyway I figured.

Anyway, have an archeocopter to build and paint before i move onto knights, but cheers again for the extra info!

Should be easy enough to magentise the arm weapons anyway I figured.

Yes, it is, with the right size of magnet. Both sides of the arm joint (the "pin" on the weapon side and the shoulder joint it goes into) are solid resin IIRC.

Otherwise also a dream to build, very precisely fitting. Not like that [insert copious amount of curse words] Storm Eagle...