Codex: Space Wolves Errata and Preview

Vassakov

Key's in the Keywords for me. If they lack the Reiver tag, they will lose out on any future Reiver support. Considering that GW seems to want Reivers to be good (eventually), I hope that the Hounds are still Reivers.

If they are an over specialized Niche unit variant of an already niche unit, I'll pass.

Key's in the Keywords for me. If they lack the Reiver tag, they will lose out on any future Reiver support. Considering that GW seems to want Reivers to be good (eventually), I hope that the Hounds are still Reivers.

If they are an over specialized Niche unit variant of an already niche unit, I'll pass.

They will likely have the REIVER keyword, considering they seem a specialized variant. They will have to be pretty insane to compete with our other elite choices, sadly. Might be useful if we expect a lot of psychic opponents.

So, we keep our Sagas and if they are anything like Wolfkin, they are getting a buff.

Frost Weapons are now a 1-of Relic, which is a bit of a shame but the buffs to Power Weapons in general makes it sting less. Also, given that they are supposed to be rare relics of the Chapter it's arguably more flavourful - the idea of an entire squad of Wolf Guard rolling around with Frost Blades was always a bit odd!

Nothing on our Psychic Powers though, and Wolf Priests have definitely been nobbled a bit.

Color me pleasantly surprised re: the morkai reivers TBH. All of those abilities stacked into one unit actually makes them pretty nasty against a lot of armies without being something they likely want to dedicated the fire needed to wipe them.

Black death is interesting but still a bit lackluster i think just because the D6 is swingy and mass D1 is not something we are lacking. If it had been D2 itd be a real competitor. I sighed at the Frost weapon upgrade initially but i think it may be pretty interesting TBH. I could see a Wolf lord with a "new wolf claw"/ shield and Wolfkin being a pretty attractive option.

Waiting on a psychic preview this week hopefully.

Oh, I'm liking those Hounds of Morkai, I think I'm definitely going to repurpose some reivers that I haven't painted yet to that.

Just need to break some of these little wings I glued on for them off, those things are fragile anyways, so I'll be glad to get rid of them.

Theres no way they are troops. The more im looking though they lack shock grenades and grav chutes which sucks. Shock is understandable but if they had chutes and could be a surgical anti psycher unit id take some i think. Outflank is only going to see them be good against dummies :D

Hounds are okay? They can only outflank, not deep strike, which hurts them, but putting a lot of bs 2+ ap-2 d2 shots into a psyker is decent, if you can get close. Theyre only s4 though which isnt great. Plus the benefits of an 18" -1 to cast aura is pretty good, though I think overall a culexus does the job better, and can deep strike.

There is no way these are going to be troops, obsec units that can turn off other units obsec is insane, theyll be elites like their generic cousins.

The thing is, these are more of a meta pick, and probably a fairly weak one too, Id love them to be the hot new unit but I think they fall down for all the same reasons reavers do. What we really need is a Hounds of Morkai lieutenant with all the same rules.

So, Preview article is up;

-Successors are officially a thing.

-Sagas are still a thing, but the aura isn't always the same as the base warlord trait.

-A new stratagem can give your Warlord 2 warlord traits and their sagas!

-Frost Weapons are now special issue wargear only, but are Master-crafting++. +1 S and +1 D, and can be applied to things which are alreqdy master-crafted. S6 D3 Power swords, anyone? The black death also makes a return, now adding d6 attacks.

-Wolf priests can spend 1 CP to restore d3 wounds to a wounded unit with a strategem.

-Hounds of Morkai are rievers with grapnel launchers and AP -2 bolt pistols (Not heavy bolt pistols). They get +1 to hit and damage vs. Psykers, ignore look out sir when targetting psykers, can only be targeted by enemy psykers if they're the closest models, have 4+ FNP in the psychic phase, and have a -1/-2 to psychic powers aura of 18"/6". They do lose shock grenades and the terror troops ability, but keep the reiver keyword for acess to the terror troops strategem.

Edited by Squark

I'm interested to see the book, I think it'll be fun. I'm not let down by it at all. I was expecting to see a lot of things culled or stripped down, but they have done a straightforward rebase onto Codex: Space Marines I think.

Hopefully Hounds can use the Terror Troops stategem.  If so, I believe I'll keep a unit handy in my list.  Assuming the lack of Grav Chutes and Shock Grenades is intentional and, if so, unfortunate.  Still useful provided the can turn of Objective Secured.  If not, they become wholly situational and much less attractive.

We should get some imagery for the Wolfspear from Dark Imperium in the supplement, this will be interesting. I hope they show the markings for the Wolf Brothers as well, or reconstitute them as an Ultima founding chapter.

We’re pretty sure we even saw an appearance by the Wolfspear in the new codex expansion… So, for the first time, there are also guidelines for fielding Space Wolves successors in battle.

Wolf priest healing now costs 1 command point each time we want to heal something.....

I’m not surprised. From a game design stand point gives them a way around making the Wolf Priest the best HQ in the game if they combined Chaplain and Apothecary duties. From a fluff perspective it makes sense because healing is secondary compared to their main role of getting the boys spoiling for a fight. So the extra effort of being a chaplain and an apothecary should expend extra effort i.e. command points.

For the sake of cleanliness and focus this thread going forward should be used for our rules errata and preview.

For specifically discussing our new unit please use:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/367241-new-unit-hounds-of-morkai/

Thanks brothers

Edited by PeteySödes

Wolf priest healing now costs 1 command point each time we want to heal something.....

And thus can only be used once per turn, so that really hurts taking more than 1 Priest.

Saga of the Wulfkin is +d3 attacks instead of +1 so its on average the same as it was, just with a crummier aura, albeit one that is much easier to activate