Codex: Space Wolves Errata and Preview

Vassakov

I think the best venerable is a multi melta + great wolf claw

Outflank it with a wolf lord packing morkai bolts and a chaplain

BS2 melta with rerolls

Charge in needing 7s

WS2 great claw reroll hits/wounds

Big boy is going to do some serious damage

*i have been facing a ton of harlequins and skyweavers in my meta...if I don't outflank it is dead from haywire

Edited by TiguriusX

BS2 melta with rerolls

Charge in needing 7s

*i have been facing a ton of harlequins and skyweavers in my meta...if I don't outflank it is dead from haywire

Wouldn't the chaplain/wolf priest have to be on the board at the command phase to get the 7" charge?

BS2 melta with rerolls

Charge in needing 7s

That is an excellent point, the new MM is a pretty mean gun. Its also pretty expensive, but it's 2 shots really help against 3w Infantry spam.

Agreed on the Claw! I kinda want to take chapter Specific stuff for fun, but still be competitive. I'm also taking 2 or 3 of these guys, perhaps I'll mix and match.

BS2 melta with rerolls

Charge in needing 7s

Wouldn't the chaplain/wolf priest have to be on the board at the command phase to get the 7" charge?

Nope

New SM stratagem let's you activate a litany in any phase

No roll either...auto activation

BS2 melta with rerolls

Charge in needing 7s

Nope

New SM stratagem let's you activate a litany in any phase

No roll either...auto activation

I ain't played any 9th games yet, this makes me very happy. Thanks for heads up.

I am torn between the Ven Dread and the Contemptor. The Ven is more wolfy but the 5++ on the Contemptor is not too shabby at all.

My 2nd favorite codex dread is a wulfen dreads with 2 heavy flamers a great claw + blizzard shield

It is not core so I send it off alone to get engage on all fronts and basically be a distraction carnifex. Low PL means 1 CP also let's you outflank 2 cyber wolves at the same time. So 3 turns of easy engage on all fronts point.

Flamers have 12" range now so it can roast hordes on arrival.

It can try a yolo charge with a free reroll.

If it survives to see combat it hits in 2 and rerolls wounds.

Not bad for a non core unit!

Gah I just looked at the NZ codex contents and looks like my hopes were dashed for seperate wolf Priests datasheets. Looks like strat support only.

Can we make a chief Wolf Priest and if so can it do any apothecary things or just preachy things?

Is Frostfang a frost sword or just has frost in the title and that caused a misconception? Or was it model design?

8th ed codex of strange scenario of Frost Swords being depicted as larger chainswords but anyone running Frost Swords probably just painted a power sword blue. Frost Axes and Claws were blued up rather than chained up too

Frostfang is the original frost blade, although it was not originally described as such. In 2nd edition it was simply a special chainsword made from an unknown metal by Fergus Forgrimm. In 3rd edition generic frost blades became a thing, either axe or sword, and all were described as using ice kraken fangs for their chainsaw blades. Frostfang at that time was just a master crafted frost blade. Later editions developed the fluff to include the current description of frost blades to either be kraken fanged chainblades or specially treated energized diamond that looks like ice.

Chiming in on the History Lesson! 

A lot of the lore from 2E were prototypical and is not strictly canon, as a lot of the specifics of Space Wolves lore did not solidify until Third Edition and 5th Edition. Frostblades didn't exist as a concept until 3e, and Frostfang's lore was retconned to accommodate this. 

rSwtEwT.jpg

https://www.goonhammer.com/codex-supplement-space-wolves-the-goonhammer-review/

Goonhammer review is up.

Overall... I'm pretty happy. The buff to Tempestus is nice, losing Fury of the Wild hurts and looks like Wulfen are basically dead competitively.

We win some and lose some, but I think overall its a winner and definitely better than our 8th edition codex.

Another one I got to use like once in all of 8th though I played an absurd amount. It hurts to say but If we were only going to get a handful of strats I’m ok with lone wolf moving to crusade.

ya, but still. *sad puppy face*.

VBG with lone wolf strat popped .

Edited by Triszin