Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Codex: Space Wolves Errata and Preview

• Please log in to reply
427 replies to this topic

BadgersinHills

BadgersinHills

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 866 posts
  • Faction: Night Lords.

One of the new Crusade relics is the Spear of Russ. So coool. I'm so excited for this. I'm tempted to model a Wolf Lord with the Spear now. 

@Bulwyf: I'm sorry to hear that you've met those difficult people. I hope you find better opponents to play with! smile.png

Thank you. My regular opponents are great guys and gals. They know I don't care about WYSIWYG and that I point everything out in a list and don't try to play hide the special weapon in a squad so it doesn't really matter. Some of them are sticklers about WYSIWYG for their own armies but they know I don't hold them to that. 

My situation with the TO was unfortunate and one of the main reasons why I will never play in a tournament again.

Glad to hear that! May your Wolves win much glory and cut many threads of the Emperor's enemies! Fenrys Hjolda! 

• Bulwyf likes this

Maybe you could model TWC-sized "were-templars" who's inner Templar took over in the fury of battle transforming them into a giant half man - half templar?

gallery_62972_14467_9630.jpg. gallery_48988_16228_1694.png  

My Works in Progress

Credit to Julie Hang for the profile picture. @juliehangart on Instagram.

TheUnlikelyGamer84

TheUnlikelyGamer84

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 125 posts
Oh my Allfather! The mark of the wulfen! My crusade force has wulfen in it already and a couple of my characters have earned battle honors. I’ll take this next and have a ridiculous number of attacks. My character may need a nickname. Thorvald “The whirling death”.

PeteySödes

PeteySödes

++ FERRARII CONQUISITOR ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,384 posts

=][=  WYSIWYG is not pertinent to this thread. Move on. =][= 

• Kassill, BadgersinHills and theprophetofwar like this

FabulousRex

FabulousRex

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,479 posts
So I'm seriously looking at adding 3 VenDreads for fire support for my foot and pod army.

Is the new Helfrost worth taking over the twin lascannon? 36" with 3+d3 Dmg is pretty reliable, but only 1 shot and S8, but also much cheaper and Chapter Specific...
I live to drink the blood of the innocents from goblets made of human skulls. I love to hear the tattered lamentations of those I've crushed, to see a shattered bleeding hulk of a once powerful man crawl limply to me on all fours to lick my hobnailed boot and beg for a quick and merciful dispatchment. I thrill with the power granted by me via foul incantations so unholy that their mere utterance blackens the lungs. Tears of joy greet my bloodstained cheeks when I inhale the pungent aroma of flayed flesh smouldering upon the wooden shards of blasted farmhouses, while my ears are filled with the piteous cries of terrified peasants scattering before my arcing blade. In all honestly, my goal within any situation is to become a solid mass of scar tissue and to stand atop a pile of indiscriminate human remains taunting the Gods themselves with my hideous unearthly strength.

Dark Shepherd

Dark Shepherd

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,331 posts
Ven dreads are also core which is useful if warlords are around, and they only have to get to midboard

TiguriusX

TiguriusX

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,839 posts
  • Faction: Space Wolves
I think the best venerable is a multi melta + great wolf claw

Outflank it with a wolf lord packing morkai bolts and a chaplain

BS2 melta with rerolls

Charge in needing 7s

WS2 great claw reroll hits/wounds

Big boy is going to do some serious damage

*i have been facing a ton of harlequins and skyweavers in my meta...if I don't outflank it is dead from haywire

Edited by TiguriusX, 30 October 2020 - 05:07 PM.

A digital space wolf returning to the pack and emerging from the warp on the TT to try the hobby side.  I started with Vassal40K and currently enjoy TTS40K

Inglorious Drunkard Champion-Night 3 (2012)

ETL first time participant-2018

ETL-2019

gallery_48988_15465_42927.png

Havok13

Havok13

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 93 posts

BS2 melta with rerolls

Charge in needing 7s

*i have been facing a ton of harlequins and skyweavers in my meta...if I don't outflank it is dead from haywire

Wouldn't the chaplain/wolf priest have to be on the board at the command phase to get the 7" charge?

FabulousRex

FabulousRex

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,479 posts

BS2 melta with rerolls

Charge in needing 7s

That is an excellent point, the new MM is a pretty mean gun. Its also pretty expensive, but it's 2 shots really help against 3w Infantry spam.

Agreed on the Claw! I kinda want to take chapter Specific stuff for fun, but still be competitive. I'm also taking 2 or 3 of these guys, perhaps I'll mix and match.
I live to drink the blood of the innocents from goblets made of human skulls. I love to hear the tattered lamentations of those I've crushed, to see a shattered bleeding hulk of a once powerful man crawl limply to me on all fours to lick my hobnailed boot and beg for a quick and merciful dispatchment. I thrill with the power granted by me via foul incantations so unholy that their mere utterance blackens the lungs. Tears of joy greet my bloodstained cheeks when I inhale the pungent aroma of flayed flesh smouldering upon the wooden shards of blasted farmhouses, while my ears are filled with the piteous cries of terrified peasants scattering before my arcing blade. In all honestly, my goal within any situation is to become a solid mass of scar tissue and to stand atop a pile of indiscriminate human remains taunting the Gods themselves with my hideous unearthly strength.

TiguriusX

TiguriusX

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,839 posts

BS2 melta with rerolls

Charge in needing 7s

Wouldn't the chaplain/wolf priest have to be on the board at the command phase to get the 7" charge?

Nope

New SM stratagem let's you activate a litany in any phase

No roll either...auto activation
  • Karhedron likes this

A digital space wolf returning to the pack and emerging from the warp on the TT to try the hobby side.  I started with Vassal40K and currently enjoy TTS40K

ETL-2019

Jorin Helm-splitter

Jorin Helm-splitter

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,104 posts
Yeah gaining access to more units and stratagems from the marine book is great for list building.

Havok13

Havok13

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 93 posts

BS2 melta with rerolls

Charge in needing 7s

Nope

New SM stratagem let's you activate a litany in any phase

No roll either...auto activation

I ain't played any 9th games yet, this makes me very happy. Thanks for heads up.
  • TiguriusX likes this

Karhedron

Karhedron

++ RENASCITUR EX MORS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,591 posts

I am torn between the Ven Dread and the Contemptor. The Ven is more wolfy but the 5++ on the Contemptor is not too shabby at all.
  • TiguriusX likes this
Sanguinius stood up, stretching his wings to their full extent. He flexed his hands. "I need no blade".
It was as though Sanguinius gleamed with pale light, his face white, eyes becoming blood-red, surrounded by the golden crown of flowing hair. Guilliman had witnessed glimpses of of his brother's wrath before, but had never seen the true Blood Angel unleashed. Sanguinius surged forward on alabaster wings, half a meter from the floor, whiteness streaming from him like flames.

TiguriusX

TiguriusX

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,839 posts

I am torn between the Ven Dread and the Contemptor. The Ven is more wolfy but the 5++ on the Contemptor is not too shabby at all.

My 2nd favorite codex dread is a wulfen dreads with 2 heavy flamers a great claw + blizzard shield

It is not core so I send it off alone to get engage on all fronts and basically be a distraction carnifex. Low PL means 1 CP also let's you outflank 2 cyber wolves at the same time. So 3 turns of easy engage on all fronts point.

Flamers have 12" range now so it can roast hordes on arrival.

It can try a yolo charge with a free reroll.

If it survives to see combat it hits in 2 and rerolls wounds.

Not bad for a non core unit!
  • Karhedron likes this

ETL-2019

PeteySödes

PeteySödes

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,384 posts
Gah I just looked at the NZ codex contents and looks like my hopes were dashed for seperate wolf Priests datasheets. Looks like strat support only.

VIth

VIth

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 128 posts

Gah I just looked at the NZ codex contents and looks like my hopes were dashed for seperate wolf Priests datasheets. Looks like strat support only.

Can we make a chief Wolf Priest and if so can it do any apothecary things or just preachy things?

PeteySödes

PeteySödes

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,384 posts
Well we got the healing balms strat and yea we can give them the master of sanctity upgrade (for now at least) so we’ll see what else they get with the wolf priest keyword.
  • VIth likes this

Wispy

Wispy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,348 posts

Is Frostfang a frost sword or just has frost in the title and that caused a misconception? Or was it model design?
8th ed codex of strange scenario of Frost Swords being depicted as larger chainswords but anyone running Frost Swords probably just painted a power sword blue. Frost Axes and Claws were blued up rather than chained up too

Frostfang is the original frost blade, although it was not originally described as such. In 2nd edition it was simply a special chainsword made from an unknown metal by Fergus Forgrimm. In 3rd edition generic frost blades became a thing, either axe or sword, and all were described as using ice kraken fangs for their chainsaw blades. Frostfang at that time was just a master crafted frost blade. Later editions developed the fluff to include the current description of frost blades to either be kraken fanged chainblades or specially treated energized diamond that looks like ice.

Chiming in on the History Lesson! 

A lot of the lore from 2E were prototypical and is not strictly canon, as a lot of the specifics of Space Wolves lore did not solidify until Third Edition and 5th Edition. Frostblades didn't exist as a concept until 3e, and Frostfang's lore was retconned to accommodate this. 

rSwtEwT.jpg

• Bulwyf, RikuEru and GrFlur like this

Bulwyf

Bulwyf

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,645 posts
  • Faction: Death Guard

Seeing the snippets from the old books really got me in the nostalgia feels.

• NightHowler likes this
40kDGBanner

Closet Skeleton

Closet Skeleton

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,665 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars

Before Eviscerator became the standard term for a two-handed chain sword, the Inquisitor skirmish game oddly had Frost Blades as generic equipment anyone could use to fill in the two handed chain weapon space.

Vassakov

Vassakov

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,105 posts
https://www.goonhamm...nhammer-review/

Goonhammer review is up.

Overall... I'm pretty happy. The buff to Tempestus is nice, losing Fury of the Wild hurts and looks like Wulfen are basically dead competitively.

We win some and lose some, but I think overall its a winner and definitely better than our 8th edition codex.
  • TiguriusX and VIth like this
The darks greatest gift is the light itself: as days are defined by the nights that divide them, as stars are defined by the infinite dark through which they wheel, the dark embraces the light, and brings forth from the center of itself. With each victory of the light, it is the dark that wins.

The brightest light casts the darkest shadow.

Castle Wolfenstein

Castle Wolfenstein

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 61 posts
  • Faction: Space Wolves, World Eaters

I used touch of the wild exactly once. Thanks a lot COVID.

• TiguriusX, Karhedron, Jorin Helm-splitter and 1 other like this

"Be excellent to each other." -Bill S. Preston Esq.

PeteySödes

PeteySödes

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,384 posts

Hah right? At least my one time was one shoting a bloodthirster so it won’t easily be forgotten.
  • Konnavaer and Castle Wolfenstein like this

Dark Shepherd

Dark Shepherd

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,331 posts

Hah right? At least my one time was one shoting a bloodthirster so it won’t easily be forgotten.

SOTB came out the day after Ireland locked down and mine was ship to store 😂😂😂

Also Lone Wolf has gone to Crusade rules

PeteySödes

PeteySödes

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,384 posts
Another one I got to use like once in all of 8th though I played an absurd amount. It hurts to say but If we were only going to get a handful of strats I’m ok with lone wolf moving to crusade.

Triszin

Triszin

++ INTERFECTOR ROBUSTUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 7,103 posts

Another one I got to use like once in all of 8th though I played an absurd amount. It hurts to say but If we were only going to get a handful of strats I’m ok with lone wolf moving to crusade.

ya, but still. *sad puppy face*.

VBG with lone wolf strat popped .

Edited by Triszin, 31 October 2020 - 02:47 PM.

• Rune Priest Jbickb likes this
banana

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users