Codex: Space Wolves Errata and Preview

Vassakov

the armour of russ is gone because russ is coming back and needs his armour back

About frakkin' time!

Loyalists are still one fieldable Primarch behind.

On another topic: Can anyone explain to me, why Wolf Guard Terminators got 1 Wound more, but fell in PL-Cost by 4? I mean … I'm happy about it, but I just can't believe my luck. (Not playing on tournaments, but having 20 unbuilt Terminators in the basement.)

Hmm the Wulfen nerf means I will be fielding bladeguard instead. The advance+charge was the biggest use to me, but now that are meh.

Also my SW opponent backed out from fighting my DG today, and now I know why. I'll ask to see if another person will play so I can do a game test.

I loved my Wulfen dreads before this and now I like them even more. Fenrisian great axe for free and Blizzard shield only 5 pts, whilst it's now the same price as a regular dread and with duty eternal? Yes please. I may be able to squeeze in double heavy flamers on each one for the first time in a long while now.

Also nice to see some changes to TWC. May finally finish building mine now.

Surprised Arjac's shield didn't become something similar to the relic shield rules-wise. Is his shield the only 3++ shield for marines now?

Veil of time psychic power makes you fight first in the fight phase... What happens if the unit you are fighting made a charge this turn?? Who goes first the one with the psychic buff or the charger?

Isn't there a mention of this in the BRB appendix? The charger's first unit goes, then if you have any fight first abilities (Veil of Time in this case) you then alternate between the charging units and your units with these abilities like how the rest of the fight phase works after the charging units have attacked. 

honestly there's too much churn with rules i can't keep up.

This 100%.

All these masively staggered rounds of FAQs, Snippets of rules. Just continues to feel like this game's timing and supposed updates/balancing are all marketing driven to push sales of models rather than making the game better. GW are literally the worst at this. Why did they have to annihalate wulfen in order to fix TWC? my 40k has been on the shelf for months.

Edited by C0deb1ue

so I think the saga system is gone.

why?

helm of the Iron mountain no longer procs the saga as complete

I hope the saga system is gone. It never really worked and it was just more things to try and keep track of in a game for an effect that rarely went off.

Another thing I noticed.

Wulfen us now a keyword.

I wonder if there are universal wulfen rules not shown//strats for wulfen we don't see yet

It has always been a keyword. Each unit has its name added as a keyword. Its used now in the main SM codex for things like transport restrictions, even though its still unique to SW. Now we don't need new data slates for shared units, simply to have the only difference being the added restriction for wulfen units. Smart move, GW.

Edited by Gherrick

Dex should be early Nov so they can do the Christmas boxes etc in late Nov

Now that Ive calmed down, if Wulfen got CORE or SWIFT HUNTERS theyd be good again

194 points tbc for 5 with 4 TH/SS dealing 16 hammer attacks ap-3 with exploding sixes (?) whenever they fight

As it stands a unit might work as their scary legacy would make them a good distraction or decoy. Or hey get them into combat somehow

Edited by Dark Shepherd

Another thing I noticed.

Wulfen us now a keyword.

I wonder if there are universal wulfen rules not shown//strats for wulfen we don't see yet

It has always been a keyword. Each unit has its name added as a keyword. Its used now in the main SM codex for things like transport restrictions, even though its still unique to SW. Now we don't need new data slates for shared units, simply to have the only difference being the added restriction for wulfen units. Smart move, GW.

Old SW player looking to return to the Fang for 9th here (Haven't played since 5th). 

Does this mean Wulfen can ride in transports (Rhinos & RBs) until we get our supplement?  They are Space Wolf Infantry (yes, I think it's an oversight on GW's part to be FAQ'd shortly)

In the meantime, the Great Frost Axe looks interesting: 4-5A  S8 AP-4 D2 hitting on 2s.  Having them in a transport pushing up near a blob of GHs for tough targets, BCs for clearing out the chaff.

I thought bolters were supposed to go to 30" range - ours still show 24".

A Primaris Lt. taking the  master-crafted stalker bolt rifle looks like an interesting combo for LFs.  1 LF pack with 4 HBs, 1LC, 1 WGTPL w/Cyclone. PF&SS.  That's the LC hitting on 2s, everything rerolls 1 with a 36" range that you have to clear a 3W 2+/4++ terminator before you get to the juicy center.  And the LT can lend in a punch while he's there.

Great Frost Axes have at least temporarily lost the bonus attack on the charge

Transport capacity is on individual transports datasheets but AFAIK no new ones have been opened to Wulfen

Better news is in our last codex almost all our fluffy and or unique units got some form of strategen support so fungets crossed Wulfen do and they clear up their storm shield points costs asap

FirnWolf/Dark Shepard - I see what you're saying, and what the rules should say, but right now, it doesn't look like it says that.  I'm guessing the Rhino says something like "transports 10 <Chapter> Infantry models, and cannot transport Primaris/Gravis/Terminators", but not Wulfen, and Wulfen are "<Chapter> Infantry".  I also can't find where it says GFAs lose their bonus attack on the charge.

Ya, total oversight loophole.   But worth experimenting in the meantime, as Wulfen have the same number of wounds as GHs and BCs, and are less wounds than Terminators.  It could easily be a fix for the mobility they lost until they get the 'Swift Hunters' ability.  If Wulfen don't get something, they'll just gather dust until 15th edition.

FirnWolf/Dark Shepard - I see what you're saying, and what the rules should say, but right now, it doesn't look like it says that.  I'm guessing the Rhino says something like "transports 10 <Chapter> Infantry models, and cannot transport Primaris/Gravis/Terminators", but not Wulfen, and Wulfen are "<Chapter> Infantry".  I also can't find where it says GFAs lose their bonus attack on the charge.

Ya, total oversight loophole.   But worth experimenting in the meantime, as Wulfen have the same number of wounds as GHs and BCs, and are less wounds than Terminators.  It could easily be a fix for the mobility they lost until they get the 'Swift Hunters' ability.  If Wulfen don't get something, they'll just gather dust until 15th edition.

Wulfen have always been lumped together with TDA on any transport restrictions, so I would be surprised (but happy) if that changes. The GFA no longer has any special text, which was what was granting the bonus attack on a charge. Hopefully it will be there again in the actual supplement.

Edited by Gherrick

FirnWolf/Dark Shepard - I see what you're saying, and what the rules should say, but right now, it doesn't look like it says that. I'm guessing the Rhino says something like "transports 10 <Chapter> Infantry models, and cannot transport Primaris/Gravis/Terminators", but not Wulfen, and Wulfen are "<Chapter> Infantry". I also can't find where it says GFAs lose their bonus attack on the charge.

Ya, total oversight loophole. But worth experimenting in the meantime, as Wulfen have the same number of wounds as GHs and BCs, and are less wounds than Terminators. It could easily be a fix for the mobility they lost until they get the 'Swift Hunters' ability. If Wulfen don't get something, they'll just gather dust until 15th edition.

Datasheet for Wulfen and weapon profile appendix in our FAQ just list GFA as S+3 AP-3(4) D2 no mention of extra attack

is the best preview for marine codex datasheets in general, had a quick look out of curiousity and 2:06:35 Rhinos cant trasnport Wulfen Edited by Dark Shepherd

Fully glad to see the wulfen nerf (apologies those of you running wulfen lists). It was needed to take them from autoinclude to an actual decision.

Id put money on them getting some sort of stratagem once the codex drops to allow them to either advance and charge or use death frenzy still after already attacking. This just means you can only do this with 1 unit per turn rather than having 3 units of them on the board all doing this all the time. Good stuff.

Bjorn is still a beast with the new dread rules.

Arjac having a proper TH and a 3++ stormshield still is ace.

TWC getting some love is nice to see even though i still dont like them thematically.

Claws getting BS3+ is about 10 years overdue too. 

No mention of wolf scouts anywhere though??

Edited by DanPesci

Im honestly not shocked about the final killing of Wolf scouts. When Codex marines moved them to elites and we had outflank as a general strat they didnt have much else. I certainly hope we get cunning of the wolf again but i dont think anyone would argue wolf scouts were between a rock and a hard place and have been for years.

honestly there's too much churn with rules i can't keep up.

This 100%.

All these masively staggered rounds of FAQs, Snippets of rules. Just continues to feel like this game's timing and supposed updates/balancing are all marketing driven to push sales of models rather than making the game better. GW are literally the worst at this. Why did they have to annihalate wulfen in order to fix TWC? my 40k has been on the shelf for months.

i wouldn't aspire it to some grand evil conspiracy theory. just... churn, less, please. 

Edited by Wispy

Im honestly not shocked about the final killing of Wolf scouts. When Codex marines moved them to elites and we had outflank as a general strat they didnt have much else. I certainly hope we get cunning of the wolf again but i dont think anyone would argue wolf scouts were between a rock and a hard place and have been for years.

Yeah I haven't ran them since 5th, and they never quite fit their description. It's probably going to be awhile before we get another chapter specific unit but a primaris squad of vets in Phobos armor afforded some freedom would be nice.

You really shouldn't be making any financial decisions based on what the state is of this FAQ, so I don't know how this would feed into some marketing driven approach.

this is a valid point. I wouldn't make any decisions on what to buy or what to toss until we get the supplement.