Codex: Space Wolves Errata and Preview

Vassakov

I'm thinking about making a v2 model of him.

My old one looks.. ok.

I'm thinking of a new build with shrike as a base.

And mis match the armor primaris plating

Sounds cool.

Im going to use the Primaris Battle Leader with a Terminator Wolf Claw and the augmetic arm/plasma pistol frim Indomitus

Does Lukas only have a ld debuff on allies..no longer effecting enemies

So it seems

But thats 3' and his reroll to hit for Blood Claws is 6':) which is going to wreck face with a unit with a couple of power fists

He has 6 attacks on the charge, hitting on 2's rr misses as his aura appears to apply to himself. 1-3s miss against him, S5 AP-2 rerolling wounds in melee too. And he still has the last laugh ability

For 80 points he is a monster.

Worth building around IMO

I'm so glad to read this.Thanks!  He's really my favourite piece of fenrisian fluff.

I'm thinking about making a v2 model of him.

My old one looks.. ok.

I'm thinking of a new build with shrike as a base.

And mis match the armor primaris plating

I assume, you know the Primaris-Bomb-riding-Conversion?

I am not feeling this errata and its focus on thunderwolves. TWC has had its time, and its time to let go and try something new. Theyre firstborn and old models after all. Lets get all aboard the primaris train and focus more on things like outriders, bladeguard and assault intercessors instead. I hate the idea that Im going to have to buy more old models.

I am not feeling this errata and its focus on thunderwolves. TWC has had its time, and its time to let go and try something new. Theyre firstborn and old models after all. Lets get all aboard the primaris train and focus more on things like outriders, bladeguard and assault intercessors instead. I hate the idea that Im going to have to buy more old models.

Thunderwolf Cavalry aren't at all that old. 

Facetious meat grinder ?

Although I have been using the hell out of some Bladeguard since they came out. They benefit from the strats affecting wolf guard like vicious executioners. And let’s not forget transhuman physiology

Edited by TheUnlikelyGamer84

I like its focus on TWC, they needed the bonus. I much prefer that to be a heavy face of the army than Wulfen.

A lot of the Primaris stuff gets the Wolf Guard keyword, so I think it will be good too, but I do not at all appreciate the sentiment that our classic firstborn kits should be left behind.

I am actually really happy with the direction they're going, making older kits and models viable and good, I think it's much healthier for the game overall than having only the newest stuff be good, for an endless churn.

Besides, this is an FAQ and it will be invalidated by the book within a few months. I do not understand why you would purchase models based on this, unless they were something you would purchase regardless.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

I completely disagree that TWC and other Firstborn units should be tossed aside because of Primaris. We have two unique units in TWC and Wulfen. Wulfen have been nerfed to hell. I hate that but at least TWC are playable in friendly games again. 

Thunderwolf Cavalry aren't at all that old.

Its been a decade dude. We have a whole new marine aesthetic now.

Facetious meat grinder ?

Although I have been using the hell out of some Bladeguard since they came out. They benefit from the strats affecting wolf guard like vicious executioners. And let’s not forget transhuman physiology

Dead serious. I think wolfguard bladeguard are way more interesting as the new sw assault core than twc. Bladeguard with the new Ragnar are my jam. Like I said, we've already had our TWC meta, lets move onto something new.

I completely disagree that TWC and other Firstborn units should be tossed aside because of Primaris.

Nobody said that.

What do you think "Let it go, get something new and jump aboard the Primaris train" means?

Don't want to be too confrontational, but if everyone is concluding what Bulwyf is, then that's what you communicated even if it wasn't your intention.

Having rules be good based on the age of the kit is extremely unhealthy for the game. The fact that a bunch of firstborn units have a new lease on life and are very good again is a fantastic thing for the longevity of the game. Anybody that bought the Start Collecting: Space Wolves box has this kit, it is quite fundamental to the Space Wolves range. Games Workshop has done a significant reversal in 9E to rebalance the game in that way, and I think it is a great step on their end.

I know I am not the only one, but I don't have time to redo every single army I have. I quite like the Primaris kits, and I do have many of them especially for the Dark Angels, but I have some forces that I'm just so close to finishing, and I just cannot redo that in an entire churn for them. Space Wolves is one of those, where I would have just dropped it entirely instead of 'embracing the new', because there's other projects that I'm doing.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

What do you think "Let it go, get something new and jump aboard the Primaris train" means?

Don't want to be too confrontational, but if everyone is concluding what Bulwyf is, then that's what you communicated even if it wasn't your intention.

Having rules be good based on the age of the kit is extremely unhealthy for the game. The fact that a bunch of firstborn units have a new lease on life and are very good again is a fantastic thing for the longevity of the game. Anybody that bought the Start Collecting: Space Wolves box has this kit, it is quite fundamental to the Space Wolves range. Games Workshop has done a significant reversal in 9E to rebalance the game in that way, and I think it is a great step on their end.

I know I am not the only one, but I don't have time to redo every single army I have. I quite like the Primaris kits, and I do have many of them especially for the Dark Angels, but I have some forces that I'm just so close to finishing, and I just cannot redo that in an entire churn for them. Space Wolves is one of those, where I would have just dropped it entirely instead of 'embracing the new', because there's other projects that I'm doing.

Chill out dude, youre overreacting, nobody is taking your toys away, you can still finish your projects. You actually raise a good point, that some people dont want to redo their armies, but on the other hand, some want exactly that, myself included. I dont want to dig out models from two editions ago, I want to work on something new.

If youve been around a while youve already seen sw armies lean heavy on thunderwolves and going back to that is just boring. Weve been there, done that. Theres a lot of new in the primaris range, thats interesting. Hell, we could have seen strats that make reavers good for us, theres a whole new range of marine models there, and oh, we're back with twc again.

I understand nobody is taking our toys away, that's the point of why I'm happy with what GW did. Why anyone would be against that is baffling.

Having power be chasing the newest kits in an endless churn is horrible for the game. GW made a solid decision rebalancing the kits and weapons as they did.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

Call me boring, but I really don't share your need for something new. I want the models I already bought and spent good money on to stay relevant. I'd rather GW stop invalidating models they've produced (especially when they simply drop the model from the codex). I'm more than a touch miffed that in 7e they gave us priests on bikes (and a fun formation as well), then took them away again in 8e, only to return with the primaris chaplain on bike.

I like TWC more than wulfen, and I am glad I can finally dust them off again. Let the wulfen gather dust for a while. The iron priest on a thunderwolf option was always odd to me, doubly so with the extra fen wolves option in 7e. I could see either other priest on a mount before an IP. Honestly, I don't mind seeing that option stay gone.

What I really want to see in the supplement is our fen/cyber wolves become useful again as well (they really should get Outflank, IMO). With Canis getting a nice boost, that will likely happen, at least in non-competitive games.

Chill out dude, youre overreacting, nobody is taking your toys away, you can still finish your projects. You actually raise a good point, that some people dont want to redo their armies, but on the other hand, some want exactly that, myself included. I dont want to dig out models from two editions ago, I want to work on something new.

If youve been around a while youve already seen sw armies lean heavy on thunderwolves and going back to that is just boring. Weve been there, done that. Theres a lot of new in the primaris range, thats interesting. Hell, we could have seen strats that make reavers good for us, theres a whole new range of marine models there, and oh, we're back with twc again.

You are literally speaking only for yourself. I have not heard anyone here or on other SW boards/social media groups actually complain that TWC are worth taking again.  Your argument makes no sense to me. We shouldn't have good rules for older units simply because they are older? That makes no sense.

Unless you are on GW marketing team trying to get people to just only ever buy what's new then I have no idea what you are talking about. Most players have a sentimental feeling about their units esp. the older ones. I *hated* not being able to really play TWC in 8th because of how bad their rules were coupled with points cost and Wulfen being so much better. At least now we can play with TWC again. Be happy dude?

Yeah... not seeing the problem with old models being ok again? It’s not like TWC are amazing either, just quite good and new things like BladeGuard and Eradicators are better. So with this you get your new stuff, and other players get to use their old stuff, and everyone wins! Why do you need people to have their old stuff taken away for you to enjoy your new stuff? Unless... you monster! You wrote the new Star Wars films didn’t you!?

Odds on TWC being doubled down on and getting a wolf priest on mount?..

Wolf Priests never had access to Thunderwolves because it doesn’t fit the fluff. With the sole exception of Ulrik himself, the Wolf Priests are all selected from senior Long Fangs, and would not have served in the ranks of the Wolf Guard, where they have the ritual tradition to seek out those mounts.

Odds on TWC being doubled down on and getting a wolf priest on mount?..

Wolf Priests never had access to Thunderwolves because it doesn’t fit the fluff. With the sole exception of Ulrik himself, the Wolf Priests are all selected from senior Long Fangs, and would not have served in the ranks of the Wolf Guard, where they have the ritual tradition to seek out those mounts.

I mentioned it because I'd love to see us able to go all out on a single theme (in this case TWC)... but for all we know everything in the errata is there until the supp and then it's all gone again, that's possible.

You make a good point but with successors what's to stop almost anything being crowbared in anymore. Alpha predator vs lousy noisy useless bike (that gives extra melee attacks to make up for not being a wolf haha; movement and more guns aren't enough apparently) I know which one I want.

I'm pretty sure that the WP's I'm building and painting right now are a faith-based project that may well never leave the shelf (Ulrik + TDA + TWC 'bike dude' + JP, like making a pack!) but I'm doing it anyway and the TWC varient will be counts as. I saw someone's dismounted WL a year or so ago and I may go that route, not sure. But it's happening (crosses fingers, considers how likely it is to get a dream result from GW, crosses toes).

This errata is saying lean on unique units or just go vanilla chapter to me.

You could use hero of the chapter on an ancient in terminator armor. He isn't named character and is an elite so you could fit in Logan and either Arjac or Njal as the HQs in a vanguard detachment. Still have 5 squads of termies, 2 units of thunderwolves, and some tanks/flyers. Not sure how good it would be, but there definitely is a 2000 point list there.