Codex: Space Wolves Errata and Preview

Vassakov

One thing I noticed is that the primaris apothecary has the "PRIMARIS APOTHECARY" key word and doesn't have the "APOTHECARY" keyword. It may be a formatting error but it also has the "PRIMARIS" keyword so it's possible that we can take them. I also think it means that a primaris apothecary can't be a chief apothecary because it doesn't have the keyword.

I'm not suggesting anyone rush out and get one but I could see it being an option for space wolf successor chapters as well.

Given that year is 2020 I expect an asteroid shortly...

I am losing track. Is 2020 the asteroid, the zombie apocalypse or the rise of Cthulu? Actually it can't be the last one, Cthulu would rise, take one look at he state of the place and go straight back to sleep again. :teehee:

But on-topic, it is nice to be the first for a change. I think the last time that happened was 2nd edition. :eek:

so we are second half of nov.

How do you arrive at that conclusion? Would have thought a pre-order preview for us was most likely either 25 October or 1 November, given they will want to keep the Marine kits flowing as smoothly as possible and release Assault Intercessors alongside our Codex seems logical. 

If they did Marines and Necrons on the same weekend they could well do 2 supplements the same weekend or even consecutive weeks

Checked and 8th edition supplements were released in pairs so thats a good omen (or at least Fists & Salamanders and Raven Guard & Iron Hands were)

Edited by Dark Shepherd

so we are second half of nov.

How do you arrive at that conclusion? Would have thought a pre-order preview for us was most likely either 25 October or 1 November, given they will want to keep the Marine kits flowing as smoothly as possible and release Assault Intercessors alongside our Codex seems logical. 

" The expert xenos-hunters of the Deathwatch arrive hot on the heels of the Necrons next month, while the Wolves of Fenris are also unleashed "

- death watch first in nov. then wolves to follow deathwatch

I think expecting 3rd week of November is correct. Although the wording is nebulous, them then saying Codex: Death Guard would be out near Christmas to me reinforces the 1st and 3rd weeks of the month being allocated to a book.

Hmm, RAW we can take the Primaris Apothecary but he can't be upgraded to a Master Apothecary because he lacks the Apothecary keyword and has Primaris-Apothecary instead. All other characters share the same keyword between primaris and firstborn version. Error or on purpose?

Hmm, RAW we can take the Primaris Apothecary but he can't be upgraded to a Master Apothecary because he lacks the Apothecary keyword and has Primaris-Apothecary instead. All other characters share the same keyword between primaris and firstborn version. Error or on purpose?

Seems like an error to me. I don't see a Primaris Apothecary could not become a Master if a Primaris Chaplain can become a MoS.

Hopefully. If our supplement is the first, it might explain why the Index is so poor. They new it would only need to last for a matter of weeks. On the other hand, the DAs got a bit more love since their will have to last until early 2021.

Seems like an error to me. I don't see a Primaris Apothecary could not become a Master if a Primaris Chaplain can become a MoS.

We should get a FAQ soon that clarifies both whether it can be upgraded or taken by wolves. Like I said earlier I wouldn't recommend any one to go out and buy the kit right now. That said the keywords in the last codex matched the format of the other characters so it isn't a case where it wasn't updated from the last book.

The only reason I think of for them not to give it the option is because they want wolf successors to have the apothecary available, but don't want them to have a chief apothecary plus a wolf priest unique MoS. Mainly because IMO this would probably be where healing balms would come into play. I'm curious to see how they handle this because successors wouldn't have access to the unique wolf units but would still have the restrictions.

I think SW successors would have access to the unique SW units, only named characters would not be allowed. Unlike the UM, etc. supplements, the unique units in the DA and BA supplements are available to their successor chapters. So you do really need Codex Supplement: Dark Angels to play Angels of Absolution for example. I believe SW successors will be of similar form.

Those clauses are exactly the same in Codex: DA/Codex: BA from 8E, so may have just been copy/paste from that, and Codex: SW just didn't have it.

But you are right, they could limit it to that, which would be quite a bit disappointing as a mechanic, as you could never play the Wolf Brothers in M31 for instance for their brief existence.

I guess we do not know how SW successors work much at all. Dark Angels and Blood Angels successor most definitely will adhere to their parent chapter very strongly, even the Primaris ones. I see no reason they wouldn't be folded into the Unforgiven and adopt the Deathwing and Ravenwing formations, and they definitely will end up with Death Companies, etc.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

We'd probably all prefer Primaris only Wolf Spear and or successors being make your own Great Company rules (although lore wise named characters could make that too much hassle for GW)

Lore justification might be theyre successor chapters but Fenris lent/gave them some units to Wolf them up or keep a link to the homeworld

I'm not so sure about how they will handle successor chapters. Anyone else notice the wierd new language for Berserk Charge? Most of us noticed that Wolf Guard no longer received the bonus attack. However, the rules now say you have to have the Hunters Unleashed tactic, or Inheritor of the Primarch (SW).

This seems to mean that you -could- take Blood claws as successors, but you won't get full access to all the perks. Not sure how I feel about that. Seems needlessly complicated.

You would get the abilities if you adhere to the SW chapter tactic with inheritors of the primarch.

The DA have similar clauses for inner circle and jink. A successor has to take inheritors of the primarch - DA to get those rules.

It heavily incentivizes Space Wolves and Dark Angels successor chapters to adhere to their parent chapter, which makes sense lorewise. The rules are also crafted to work with the chapter tactic, trading bonuses.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

I'm not so sure about how they will handle successor chapters. Anyone else notice the wierd new language for Berserk Charge? Most of us noticed that Wolf Guard no longer received the bonus attack. However, the rules now say you have to have the Hunters Unleashed tactic, or Inheritor of the Primarch (SW).

This seems to mean that you -could- take Blood claws as successors, but you won't get full access to all the perks. Not sure how I feel about that. Seems needlessly complicated.

Looking at marine index closely we have so freakin many Wolf Guard units now I can see why they clamped down on any rules that created extra Wolf Guard attacks, even if Bezerk Charge made the least sense

I think it's just an errata of sorts. Berserk Charge is obviously meant to affect blood claw models, not the attached wolf guard model. At least that is what makes sense to me, the seasoned veteran shouldn't have Berserk Charge.

Although I do wonder if we'll see a mechanic to 'add' a primaris WG model to a unit. They seem to have implemented a mechanic like this for the Deathwatch, so I don't think it is infeasible.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion