Codex: Space Wolves Errata and Preview

Vassakov

Anyone who follows GW and 40k knew a wulfen nerf was coming

I personally avoided using them and am glad to see them go.

It will probably cause the meta players to drop SW and look elsewhere.

That makes me happy too. I honestly hated everyone in 7th running TWC lords and deathstars.

/rant

Im with you in the sense that anything i felt COMPELLED to take i felt a bit strangled by. Now they likely have a new role and i still think they are a really cool unit though. I also get a bit elitist when the flavor of the week spotlight hits something i love haha so i agree there too. :smile.:

Edited by PeteySödes

Change is hard sometimes, esp when we invest a lot into this hobby. Everyone is allowed to feel however they feel, but we all need to be respectful. Personally even with these changes I 100% believe we're in a better spot than this time last year. Im up for the challenge and lets discuss this without judgement.

As ever, Petey, you speak the truth.

Honestly, whilst I think I agree on raw power level the stuff that has me worried is the apparent shift away from SW unique units in the HQ slot - our Lords and Battle Leaders now appear to be literally Captains and Lieutenants, there's no mention of Frost weapons and we don't seem to have Wolf Priests at the moment?

Yea it took me a sec to notice that too re: priests. I have to imagine this FAQ is truly stopgap, why would they show us all the goods when they have a codex to sell in (hopefully) a month. I assume the sheets we got are somewhat in stone +/- maybe some weapons (again hopefully frost both hel and normal are getting a retool to explain the absence.

If anyone actually read the introduction to the page, it's just an Index to tie us over till the supplement hits, which will likely be loaded with more stratagem's, rules and weapons.

Wolves beast and cavalry can advance and charge and maybe in the supplement the wulfen can do the same.

Claw Units are BS 3+

Arjac still has his 3++ shield

Wulfen are T5 which is pretty decent 

I think helfrost is going to get a Wargear strat.

So it's going to be a few weeks, so lets get to play testing

This is a gigantic nerf to our army. Holy Bjorn this is huge. No more Armor of Russ, no more Wulfen that got nerfed three times over and no extra wound either for them. We have worthless relics and no warlord traits. Please don't tell me that laughable one in the SM codex is all we are restricted to now. Our Wolf Priests were nerfed to nothing. We don't get apothecaries AND Wolf Priests can't heal? What the hell is this? Why are we now the only SM chapter that has no healing? 

They even nerfed Bjorn. Lost two inches of movement for...reasons? 

I hope this upcoming supplement has a lot of fixes in it because our army is simply garbage at this point in time. I'm sitting here thinking they nerfed Wolf Priests to unplayable, Wulfen to unplayable and that leaves us with ...dreds and terminators for a full army?

This is a gigantic nerf to our army. Holy Bjorn this is huge. No more Armor of Russ, no more Wulfen that got nerfed three times over and no extra wound either for them. We have worthless relics and no warlord traits. Please don't tell me that laughable one in the SM codex is all we are restricted to now. Our Wolf Priests were nerfed to nothing. We don't get apothecaries AND Wolf Priests can't heal? What the hell is this? Why are we now the only SM chapter that has no healing? 

I actually think we may get some in the codex. It was mine and a friends feeling that we didnt have anything previously to prevent wulfen from coming back and re-death frenzying. With that gone, the unit is more straightforward and i do think we'll see an updated Wolf Priest datasheet.

Armor or Russ is a bummer but again, I have to imagine we'll be getting more stuff in the codex and with judicars filling a similar trick i can see the (hopefully temporary) cut.

I actually think we may get some in the codex. It was mine and a friends feeling that we didnt have anything previously to prevent wulfen from coming back and re-death frenzying. With that gone, the unit is more straightforward and i do think we'll see an updated Wolf Priest datasheet.

Armor or Russ is a bummer but again, I have to imagine we'll be getting more stuff in the codex and with judicars filling a similar trick i can see the (hopefully temporary) cut.

I just find it unreal that all of the SM chapters to target for hard core nerfing GW picks us? Seriously? We were the *worst army in all of 8th edition* and we kick off 9th like this? Disappointing is too trite a word for the outrage I feel. 

This mentality of "things will get better in 9th" has been proven to be groundless, baseless faith yet again. This supplement will have to be AMAZING just to put us back to regular footing with the other SM chapters.

I just find it unreal that all of the SM chapters to target for hard core nerfing GW picks us? Seriously? We were the *worst army in all of 8th edition* and we kick off 9th like this? Disappointing is too trite a word for the outrage I feel.

This mentality of "things will get better in 9th" has been proven to be groundless, baseless faith yet again. This supplement will have to be AMAZING just to put us back to regular footing with the other SM chapters.

We kicked off 9th edition as one of the major super powers

Triple wulfen was an OP meta list because of new breachable terrain and their advance and charge threat range

SW have been winning and placing high all of 9th...including after the obec bug was fixed

I think this was a serious shakeup for sure but I think that the idea that our army hinges on AoR and Wulfen does us a disservice. Early in 8th I would have agreed since we needed those tricks but i think the deck just got a total reshuffle and theres going to be some new players in town in regards to S tier units for us.

Honestly, I like what they did to the wulfen overall (probably could still use a price drop, IMO). Not being able to take actions means they aren't for securing objectives. They are a distraction to keep the enemy busy while you secure objectives with other units. I'm also glad they boosted TWC via Swift Hunters and the extra wound. Wulfen were too good, and TWC didn't really have enough to bring to the table. Now there is a place in an army for both (if desired).

I don’t know what Riku is on about; I don’t see anyone with a sky is falling panic. Folks are just pointing out the changes that we’ve got to work with for now. We all know it’ll all change again when the Supplement drops.

Arjac kept his 3++ Invulnerable shield. Makes his Anvil Shield actually different than a regular Storm Shield.

We kicked off 9th edition as one of the major super powers

Triple wulfen was an OP meta list because of new breachable terrain and their advance and charge threat range

SW have been winning and placing high all of 9th...including after the obec bug was fixed

So because of a scant three months if people cheesed we all suffer? Wulfen have no place in any list now. I'm not talking about competitive play. I am a "power fluff" gamer that avoids cheese and tries to have fluffy based lists with some teeth in them. You have seen all of the SW army lists I posted in 8th which were regarded mostly favorably by our brothers here.

This level of nerfing is appalling. Wulfen without CORE was already a painful nerf. All of the extra nerfing on top of that is far too much. Why would anyone even bring them any more to any game including friendly fun? 

We now have the worst Devastators in the game because Long Fangs were nerfed. Wolf Priests are literally unplayable. We have no Apothecary and no healing from Wolf Priests. Why bring them? Why bring Long Fangs? Why bring Wulfen? They even nerfed Bjorn just for fun it seems. 

This relentless optimism that "everything is fine ignore the house burning down around you" is unreal. 

Only saga of the beast got rolled over into this update SO ARMOUR OF RUSS AND FROST WEAPONS ARE NOT GONE PEOPLE*

WGPL lose access to bezerk charge and shot up in price

Winners

Characters, TWC, Wulfen dreads, Stormfangs

Losers

Wulfen, Stormwolves, Wulfen

*definitively until we get our supplement

Edited by Dark Shepherd

It says, "The rules from the 2018 (8th Edition) version of Codex: Space Wolves are no longer supported, and cannot be used. Similarly, if a Space Wolves rule from Psychic Awakening: Saga of the Beast does not feature within this document, it cannot be used."

That means that Codex: SW and the SW part of Saga of the Beast is completely retired in lieu of the PDF, with some funky wording for Saga of the Beast, as it hold rules for Orks as well.

Only saga of the beast got rolled over into this update SO ARMOUR OF RUSS AND FROST WEAPONS ARE NOT GONE PEOPLE

Winners

Losers

The errata clearly states that anything not listed in it is now gone.  Quote:

The rules presented in the 8th edition (printed 2018) version of Codex: Space Wolves are no longer supported, and cannot be used. Similarly, if a SpaceWolves rule from Psychic Awakening: Saga of the Beast does not feature within this document, it cannot be used.

So, yes, Armor of Russ and Frost weapons are in fact gone unless the future supplement includes them. All of our warlord traits are gone except the terrible one listed in SM codex. All of our relics except the ones in the errata are gone. 

also YEAH! My beloved Thunderwolves are BACK! 

DEATHWOLVES DEATHWOLVES! *guitar riff*

i really hated that wulfen did everything better than them. Mobile, Durable, Hit like a Truck, Buffed with Auras... they did everything and something had to give, you know?

also, normally I would say "be patient, calm down" because our supplemental book is right around the corner, buuuuut....

Similarly, if a Space Wolves rule from Psychic Awakening: Saga of the Beast does not feature within this document, it cannot be used.

even i have to admit this straight up BS. What was the point of the PA book? barely had any shelf life, and they promised it would be viable with 9th and it only lasted until October.

Only saga of the beast got rolled over into this update SO ARMOUR OF RUSS AND FROST WEAPONS ARE NOT GONE PEOPLE

Winners

Losers

The errata clearly states that anything not listed in it is now gone. Quote:

The rules presented in the 8th edition (printed 2018) version of Codex: Space Wolves are no longer supported, and cannot be used. Similarly, if a SpaceWolves rule from Psychic Awakening: Saga of the Beast does not feature within this document, it cannot be used.

So, yes, Armor of Russ and Frost weapons are in fact gone unless the future supplement includes them. All of our warlord traits are gone except the terrible one listed in SM codex. All of our relics except the ones in the errata are gone.

Theyre gone temporarily :)

No way in heck we lose the frost weapons

Id wager dollars to donuts Armour of Russ is one of our relics that survives

Bottom line is this update/stopgap is by no means definitive and non Wulfen related doomcrying can wait til the supplement drops. Plus we know its out in November

Will agree with Wispy on SOTB though

Edited by Dark Shepherd