Index astartes: Deathwatch

xenomortis

Any thoughts on bladeguard and suppressors being left out of the kill teams people? To be honest i think GW have just forgot suppressors exist. I thought the bladeguard might be in the fortis and suppressors... not sure on could go in any of the primaris teams as they have a weird armour mix.

I also hope that they'll make veteran intercessors the fortis base as it would make sense. All our firstborn are vets

The Suppressors thing has me wondering if there isn't one more wave of Primaris incoming that uses Omnis pattern.  We still haven't seen a true equivalent of vanguard vets or jetpack assault marines.

Hoping for SIA inclusion across all the primaris stuff was a pipedream, it was just going to get more and more bloated with each iteration. Same goes for the mixed armour killteams. I think the solution they settled on is pretty elegent, basically just making it "special issue bolters" rather than blanket ammo across multiple platforms.

We lost some pretty powerful gimmicks (comon, 2+ to wound wasn't going to stay) but picked up an entire codex of new options.

The ability to make "tactical" primaris squads is still the most interesting aspect for me, even with the loss of SIA.

I'm hoping they have some interesting stratagem ideas for the supplement to bring some of the more unique flavour back.

LET PRIMARIS RIDE THE BLACKSTAR COME ON!

Never gonna happen, I think.  It's a real shame but it seems the Corvus Blackstar will never be good, unless there's some sort of other update in the DW supplement.

At this point it feels like they are just going to be copy-pasting its unit info and never even thinking about this, even if they squat firstborn. 

Eh overall its.... not a great index, but the supplement is still coming, and before the end of the year.  So hopefully that gives DW back some unique flavor, so will reserve anything too critical til that comes out.

Obviously though as far as this goes this feels like they just kind of watered down DW and took the individuality out of the army here, but again, not going to get worked up about it, this is a patch job, not a true effort, and honestly its better than their WD fiasco so whatever.

I'm surprised I'm the only one really feeling down about this update. Between the kill teams losing their benefits and SIA being cut from everything but the basic boltgun, we really don't have much uniqueness left in the rules.

Remember its only temporary, and has all the hallmarks of being somewhat rushed, like all their pdf rules. The ability to flex on people with all our units being obsec is pretty great, obsec bikes and eliminators. Its worth embracing it now and just playing around with it.

We have to keep in mind this is a stop gap until the book comes out.... THEN we can get upset! lol

Seriously though, SIA changes are very respectable to me. I actually felt sheepish blowing a way a bunch of monsters on a 2+ to wound. It was just too good, and Poison should have this change 40k wide in my opinion.

On the other hand, the turning down of SIA abilities did make me feel that we should see it on Intercessors/Boltrifles. I don't think it's that incredibly potent. So like some of you, I hope this is an oversight. But then again we all thought the Black Shield missing the heavy hammer was an oversight (especially since Duncan made one up for an official video.) But at least that's fixed!

I guess I'm the only one who's going to say this.... but I always really liked the Libby model and I'm happy we have "Codicier Natorian".  (Is "Duty's Revelation a unique statline? +1S, -4, D3).

I believe my first new Kill Team will be an Indomitor Kill Team with 5 Heavy Intercessors, and a few Eradicators. 

Edited by Prot

I can totally see the bikes losing the special issue ammo on the bike guns But I'm hoping they still get the SIA heavy bolt pistol

20 shots from the bikes and 5 SIA shots from the riders would be great But they did have a deathwatch twin Boltgun on the cassius kill team so maybe this was just a copy and paste mistake

Edited by Debauchery101

The Special Issue Ammunition changes to Hellfire was exactly what I was expecting and the change to Vengeance  feels ok given that vengeance is supposed to be a marine killer, the loss of AP is a downside, but not having the ranged reduced is a nice positive.

The loss of SIA from a bunch of units is a shame, and I hope a temporary thing until the supplement. My Deatchwatch are almost all Primaris so it feels rather bland.

The new kill team arrangement is more or less what I had been hoping, so I will certainly play around with those.  

Is it only me that is cackling with glee about the back field goodness of veterans with Stalkers and SIA? Stacked with a Watch master and their chapter tactic that makes a terrifying castle to hold your own objective while being a threat all game.

Ah I just noticed. Lost a shot but gained a D. Can even boost it to D3 if needed.

And although the frag cannon took a bit of a nerf, it also dropped down to 10 points. I do like that the older stuff is getting a bit of attention. Shame that HTH is now 1 per 5, when you get 2 in each kit, haha.

I really feel like if intercessors, bikers, and our HQs get SIA, we'll be in a much better place. Hopefully we also get a unique litany, a psyker discipline, and a super doctrine. That would make up for some of the power we lost and I'm all for it.

That said, RIP storm bolters and frag cannons.

I really feel like if intercessors, bikers, and our HQs get SIA, we'll be in a much better place. Hopefully we also get a unique litany, a psyker discipline, and a super doctrine. That would make up for some of the power we lost and I'm all for it.

That said, RIP storm bolters and frag cannons.

eff that i want to take a psyker or chaplain that can use their original chapter stuff and the Phobos line Edited by Debauchery101

Doesn’t seem like it, 

I am personally just using this as a foundation for what our units can look like and start building/painting while I wait for the supplement for our final rules. It feels so odd that so much got stripped from everything but regular veterans so I expect us to get a lot of it back. 

Edited by leth

I've got mixed feelings about this update. On one hand I'm really happy to see and excited for the new kill teams that include the new (to us) units. On the other hand, I'm really hoping that SIA isn't as limited as it appears to be. SIA is a just as important to the identity of DW as the kill teams, limiting it this much doesn't feel good. But I'll reserve my full judgment until I can actually see the new supplement we're getting, and any work on my DW is definitely on hold until then. 

Edited by Syward