Si Vis Pacis Para Bellum. Something Big (sorta clickbait) :D

space wolf

So I'm getting back into the game. And while I've never claimed to like ultramarines (too "superman-y", for my tastes). I do really like studying the roman imperial period of world history. Thus we have a match made in terra. My goals in the project or fourfold:

+ Build an Ultramarine army that completely pushes the roman elements to the limit, both aesthetically and tonally.

+ Really push the more dramatic elements of space marine design. I'm talking filagrees, parchment, eagle helmets, etc, while still maintaining, point number 1

+ Keep these guys fully grimdark. While they may be heroes, they are NOT human. They are superhuman weapons and looking at these guys in their bright blue armor should be terrifying.

+ Increase my abilities in both sculpting and molding. I'm fairly deft at green stuff sculpting, but I'm out of practice and could be better.

Some photos up soon.

So to start here are some pictures that I've used for inspiration for tone and style

lTy7u0g.png

lSOKNr2.jpg

7N6Op73.png

NBLcDcp.jpg

DCiYm3p.jpg

yoJyFZ9.jpg

And now for my WIP

This is the first Primaris Intercessor Sergeant.

m52JeQG.jpg

aHGyNpr.jpg

All C&C welcome...I'd love to hear any ideas you guys may have to improve what I've got going so far. 

Thanks for looking

Thanks guys! Finishing a squad of these guys will take me FOREVER...but thats ok, that's easier on my wallet.  Anyway here he is with more greenstuff work.

I0Q2m41.jpg

Mf31njo.jpg

aWY0auA.jpg

xAIRh9r.jpg

oAF1dV7.jpg

Thanks for stopping by!

++EDIT++ just realized the purity seal on his elbow...kinda got messed up....that's been touched up!

Looking good that. Loving the Chapter Badge on the kneecap as well, really good idea that I might have to borrow at some point in the future! Was trying to work out why he looked so thin until I realised he's not wearing his backpack. Are you planning on adding some ornamentation to that too or leaving it as is?

Looking good that. Loving the Chapter Badge on the kneecap as well, really good idea that I might have to borrow at some point in the future! Was trying to work out why he looked so thin until I realised he's not wearing his backpack. Are you planning on adding some ornamentation to that too or leaving it as is?

Feel free to steal it! As for the backpack. Yes there will be ornimentation on the backpack and shoulder pads.

Very nice test model. If you're going for leaning into the Roman/Greek theme, have you checked out PopGoesTheMonkey? He has both an Ultramarines section and a Greek & Roman section on his site for bits.

The Corinthian Style helmets for the Primaris would look awesome on these guys :yes:

Edited by Gederas

Very nice test model. If you're going for leaning into the Roman/Greek theme, have you checked out PopGoesTheMonkey? He has both an Ultramarines section and a Greek & Roman section on his site for bits.

The Corinthian Style helmets for the Primaris would look awesome on these guys :yes:

That's where I got some of my bits from :wink:

So for the most part, I think I'm done converting...I'll post up some fluff about him, when I get a paint job on him.  Anyway, C&C always welcome.

1YNv8b5.jpg

ZeVSERb.jpg

iNeibcW.jpg

JtfnT4T.jpg

YLi6SAg.jpg

+++INCOMMING TRANSMISSION+++

++By Order of Brother Capt[interference]ato Sicarius++

+Warp Storm too sev[interference]+

+Bat[interference] fleet must disperse+

+Retrogr[interference]de back t[interference] Ultramar+

+Strength an[interference]onor+

+Emp[interference] be with us all+

+++END OF TRANSMISSION+++

Led By Cato Sicarious, the 2nd Company of the XIIIth Legion: The Ultramarines, encountered a massive warp storm while trying to transport the latest Primaris Brothers, from the Terran system, to Ultramar. Sicarius was forced to break up the fleet and ordered that each ship make its own way to Ultramar. This is the chronicle of what happened to those brothers on one such ship. The Battle Cruiser, Aquila Umbra (The Eagle’s Shadow)

Brother Centurion Marius

Marius is the heart of Intercessor Squad Mollitia, he leads his fellow battle brothers with a combination of optimism and battle-hardened experience. Bombastic and gregarious, Marius has a reputation as being a bit too cavalier. Despite his reputation, like all centurions, Marius emphasizes discipline and effective battle tactics in all of the Astartes he leads.

“So they’ve decided to put up an actual fight?! HAHAHA, FORWARD BROTHERS! SHOW THEM WHAT IT MEANS TO BATTLE THE SONS OF ULTRAMAR!”

gYchRpx.jpg

18pfcJD.jpg

aKo4Sej.jpg

jSVhmbf.jpg

t9ybvaj.jpg

sLXCIcs.jpg

a3A5tqu.jpg

NjDcoiZ.jpg

I think I've met my three stylistic objectives, I listed in the first post, but what do you guys think?

C&C welcome, thanks for stopping by!

My goals in the project or fourfold:

+ Build an Ultramarine army that completely pushes the roman elements to the limit, both aesthetically and tonally.

+ Really push the more dramatic elements of space marine design. I'm talking filagrees, parchment, eagle helmets, etc, while still maintaining, point number 1

+ Keep these guys fully grimdark. While they may be heroes, they are NOT human. They are superhuman weapons and looking at these guys in their bright blue armor should be terrifying.

+ Increase my abilities in both sculpting and molding. I'm fairly deft at green stuff sculpting, but I'm out of practice and could be better.

I'd say you're well on your way to hitting each one of these goals! Really enjoying where you're going with these guys.

Pearson & Gingerbat:  Thanks guys...I've been trying very hard to take a character approach to every model...every guy is a character in his own story, so each one has to be unique and different.  We shall see if we can keep that up beyond the first few models...I hope so.

In other news, converting is done for these two.

Marine 1

TqamtGB.jpg

wkrrOzz.jpg

ka4tD8y.jpg

O3ofPNO.jpg

Marine 2

0mnFCMF.jpg

gzzgFXl.jpg

CcZt6nU.jpg

IRVshA3.jpg

As always C&C welcome, and thanks for stopping by.

Thanks guys.  Honestly its mostly the work of size 0 color shapers.  These things are workhorses. With these, working with GS is so easy, its basically blocking in shapes.  It may take a bit of practice to get good at it, but not nearly as much as you think! 

The Silvius Twins

Ciqn5fq.jpg

Brother Gaius

Taciturn and dour are words that describe Gaius.  Known as the “angry one” of the Silvius Twins, no one takes destroying the enemies of the imperium more seriously, in Squad Mollitia, than Gaius.  During any given campaign, he scratches marks in his armor for each enemy he destroys.  But, a servant of the Emperor’s work is never done, so once the campaign is over, he repaints his armor, just to start the count all over again.

“You are just another temporary mark on my warplate!”

zf0yHw8.jpg

9Ldv3DP.jpg

bOzsVrv.jpg

SUob5U1.jpg

Brother Marcus

Thoughtful and compassionate, Brother Marcus is the confidant of Squad Mollitia.  Considered the “smart one,” of the Silvius Twins, Marcus is as much a philosopher as warrior.  Deeply invested in the wisdom of the Codex Astartes, Marcus has a budding strategic mind and has been marked for possible Chaplain initiation.

“We just need to lay down a base of fire, while Gaius flanks them…with extreme predjudice.”

vm3YuHV.jpg

CeXy6uJ.jpg

SvUEBy4.jpg

z8tHPFK.jpg

Well that's all for today.  As always, C&C welcome and thanks for stopping by!

Stratokhan: Thank you! I'm very happy to hear that you think they are gritty....that was REALLY what I wanted to portray. #validation :D

Bjorn: I sculpted over the primaris Mark IV helmet grill. Its not as hard as it looks, and if you look close, its honestly not that neat.  But with the right kind of paint job, a lot of sloppiness can be hidden.

Ok, converting is done for the last 2 of the combat squad.  I've been told its a better idea to take units of 5 intercessors instead of units of 10, is that correct?  I personally like the idea just because it works with the fluff...they are on a years long journey in the warp, cut off from supplies, and unable to backfill casualties.  (think something like Homer's The Odyssey for 40k)

vKZeaaZ.jpg

vAuu5LP.jpg

oot0FGp.jpg

cwjwJk2.jpg

So a little bit about this last guy.  As someone who carries a gun for work (military police), I HATE HATE HATE (im using the word HATE, here) the reloading positions modeled on marines.  This may be TMI, in my 10 years, everyone I have ever spoken with, been instructed by, and just experience, tells me, you never ever release your grip off of the pistol grip to reload.  So I spent a little extra time, to model this guy reloading in a much more "tactically correct" (if that can be said) way.

EnMq2kl.jpg

QjmNDB1.jpg

I2LOVUR.jpg

8CEAwW0.jpg

hH547kI.jpg

The helmet is inspired by Apologist's Old Praetors of Calth Blog.  C&C always welcome, and thanks for stopping by!